• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how can i remove software lockouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
2 of my laptops was repaired this year and when they returned they had software lockouts preventing the use of certain software(steam, origin, comodo icedragon) and installation of others(internet explorer). some of them requires certain dll files which can not be installed because of lockouts(origin, comodo icedragon). i really want to use origin and steam on my laptops but the lockouts is preventing it. how can i undo them? i have already contacted the place that repaired my laptop and they denied adding lockouts, meanig that are no help in this situation.

Level 19
that will cost me even more than getting the shop to fix it. it could even fail to help. i need to lift the lockouts.
that software I mentioned is free... so it won't cost you st all.

another option for you might be to install the games and so on while your computer is running in safe mode. the lock outs might not trigger there

Reactions: pyf
Level 21
origin installs but is not running because a dll is missing. comodo icedragon have the same problem. the lockout prevents installation of that dll. professional software is not free. steam is install but not running. it locks on extracting package as it have no package to extract. internet explorer can not be updated becase of a lockout. it can not detect my system as windows 7. virtual pc can not install, likely for the same reason.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
try using a windows repair utility
getintopc.com/softwares/system-tuning/windows-repair-professional-free-download/
@TheLordOfChaos201 : it is imho better to provide a link to its official website:
Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro

[...] professional software is never free. [...]
Quoting from the software's official homepage:
"The free version of the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair offers ALL repairs for free for personal use. In addition, we offer a pro version which has extra options, settings, and tools to help make you life a little easier and a little more awesome."

[...] it is not a broken system anyway but a softlocked system. [...]
At first glance and from personal experience, I personally doubt it. Your issue is imho hardware-related, but I do not feel like convincing you atm. Hint: think HDD.

Level 21
my problem is not hardwae related. everything worked until i had to replace my harddrive. the people that replaced the harddrive added software lockouts in order to get me to spend extra money on getting it repaired. they even put a time limit on windows activation(windows eventually became deactivated). i have no knowledge of how to release software lockouts.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
my problem is not hardwae related. everything worked until i had to replace my harddrive. [...] they even put a time limit on windows activation(windows eventually became deactivated) [...]
Again, I doubt it.

First and foremost, I suggest you should reactivate your copy of Windows. This needs to be done, imho because your hardware is not the same anymore.

Microsoft Product Activation - Wikipedia

"[...] The Activation Wizard generates verification data primarily based on information about hardware in the computer. [...]

The verification data is also based on the product key entered during activation. In some cases, the product key is checked against a list of known illegally distributed keys.

Certain retail copies of Windows and Office sold in certain countries classified as emerging markets have geographical activation restrictions, which only allow the user to activate the product within the indicated region. [...]"

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Claiming that "the people that replaced the harddrive [...] put a time limit on windows activation", is imho not true. Your copy of Windows simply had to be reactivated, because of the HDD change.

2 of my laptops was repaired this year and when they returned they had software lockouts preventing the use of certain software(steam, origin, comodo icedragon) and installation of others(internet explorer). some of them requires certain dll files which can not be installed because of lockouts(origin, comodo icedragon). [...]
[...] everything worked until i had to replace my harddrive. the people that replaced the harddrive added software lockouts [...]
Did you have to replace the hard drives from two laptops?

origin installs but is not running because a dll is missing. comodo icedragon have the same problem. the lockout prevents installation of that dll. [...]
...which is?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] i just noticed that you had reported me for no reason. if i did that i would lose reputation. [...]
I did not report you, but maybe someone else did?
Fear not, you can not lose your good reputation here on THW. Trust me on that one. :grin:

it will not tell me. [...] here is the error message:the program could not start right(0xc000007b) click ok to terminate program. same error for comodo icedragon.
[...] it is not a broken system anyway [...]
Oh yes it is imho. Should be fairly easy to fix, btw.

[...] everything worked until i had to replace my harddrive [...]
Out of curiosity, why did you have to replace your harddrive? (especially since, as you claim, everything was working)

2 of my laptops was repaired this year and when they returned they had software lockouts preventing the use of certain software(steam, origin, comodo icedragon) and installation of others(internet explorer). some of them requires certain dll files which can not be installed because of lockouts(origin, comodo icedragon). [...]
So, everything was working until your two laptops had to be... repaired? (link)
What were the issues back then?
Did you have to replace the hard drives from your two laptops? And why replace a harddrive?
Are the issues you are currently facing, *exactly* the same on your two laptops which you claim have now been (partly) softlocked?

Level 21
on one laptop the harddrive was slowly developing bad sectors so it had to be replaced. on the other one the monitor had to be replaced. they had no business being on my harddrive in the first place but they installed software lockouts anyway. both were repaired in the same place. i can understand why when power is going bankrupt(they are desperate to make more money).

pyf

pyf

Level 32
on one laptop the harddrive was slowly developing bad sectors so it had to be replaced. on the other one the monitor had to be replaced [...]
Are the issues you are currently facing, *exactly* the same on your two laptops which you claim have now been (partly) softlocked? Especially the one which only had its monitor replaced?

[...] they had no business being on my harddrive in the first place but they installed software lockouts anyway. both were repaired in the same place. i can understand why when power is going bankrupt(they are desperate to make more money).
I doubt they did what you claim they did. But again, I do not feel like convincing you atm.

Your issues should be fairly easy to fix.

Level 21
norway is a corrupt country and power is a desperate company. they have not been making money for years. the systems is different so their dll requirements is different. their systems however does not install the packages containing the dlls because of the lockouts. origin worked perfectly on the one that had its monitor replaced before that but when i got it back it was softlocked.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Why don't you use a search engine to find out what may cause the 0xc000007b error message?

[...] here is the error message:the program could not start right(0xc000007b) [...]
You mean "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)"?

[...] the systems is different so their dll requirements is different. [...]
There are localized versions of some DLLs, if that is what you mean.

[...] their systems however does not install the packages containing the dlls because of the lockouts. [...]
I doubt it.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Again, why don't you use a search engine to find out what may cause the 0xc000007b error message ("The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)")?

i have tried to install the packages containing the dll files but they will not install. [...]
Which packages?

How do you know that the required DLL for Origin and Comodo IceDragon is in one of these packages, since you do not know which DLL is required?

[...] the reason is not specified(typical of microsoft). [...]
Did you have a look at your Windows event logs?
I personally find MyEventViewer to be very handy for that.

** Update ** : I never used FullEventLogView, because it requires Vista at the very least.

[...] i am using norwegian windows so i have to guess what the erroors are in english.
I am using a French version of Windows XP, and I never had any issue with finding out the English equivalent of any error message coming from my OS.

For the record, there are also freewares for understanding Windows' error codes. Like for example:
- Gunners Software - Windows Error Lookup Tool
- Software Design - Error Messages for Windows

More diagnostics software here:
Download Diagnostics Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Then use a search engine to find out what may cause the 0xc000007b error message ("The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)").

Also, did you have a look at your Windows event logs?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
the systems is different so their dll requirements is different. their systems however does not install the packages containing the dlls because of the lockouts. origin worked perfectly on the one that had its monitor replaced before that but when i got it back it was softlocked.
This makes no sense... Dlls are installed and located by the OS and not some third party system.

Could you please explain what you mean by "lockout". What is the computer showing when trying to install something that makes you think it is a lockout (photograph with a phone or camera if necessary). If it is a third party program disabling your computer then try starting in safe mode and deleting it. Have you tried running "sfc /scannow", the Windows OS inbuilt self repair tool?
the program could not start right(0xc000007b) click ok to terminate program
Why don't you use a search engine to find out what may cause the 0xc000007b error message?
It is a generic Windows application error meaning the required dll file is not compatible with the application. For example if one places a 64bit build of a dll where an application expects a 32bit build the application will throw this exception at startup. The reason I know of this is I once had problems with that error after confusing different pthreadVC2.dll files for 32 and 64bit applications and it produces exactly that error code.

What this means is that you have the required DLL files, but something is wrong with them as they do not match what the program expects. For example if the application is 32bit then it expects all dll files to be 32bit built however if one was replaced with a 64bit built dll file it will throw that error code at application start without informing you which dll was the problem. Missing DLL error informs you exactly what DLL file is missing by name, and does not mention an error code and especially not 0xc000007b.

First start by removing all the DLLs you tried to install manually. Chances are these are wrong or incompatible with the application and hence why the error is produced.

Then my recommendation is to run "sfc /scannow". This checks the integrity of all OS files, dlls included, to make sure that none are missing, corrupt or tampered with. If the command cannot resolve all errors then you have no choice but to reinstall the OS as the OS install is beyond repair.

Uninstall all applications that throw this error. Navigate to their Program File folder and make sure all DLLs in there are deleted after uninstall. Then reinstall the programs.

If the application then shows a missing DLL error by naming the missing DLL, most the names of the missing DLLs.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
@Dr Super Good: first, he will have to admit that no one put any 'software lockouts' on his PCs.

If one must do things by-the-book, one first has to fully scan his/her HDD for any surface defects. Then it is obvious that SFC must be run afterwards, since power certainly used some cloning software to transfer the data from the damaged HDD(s) to the new one(s). CheckSUR may also help too.

Then a reinstall (or an uninstall/reinstall) of some core third party files may be advisable (DirectX, Visual C++ Runtimes, repairing DotNet...)

And there is indeed the 32 bit / 64 bit DLL(s) mismatch you mentioned. It is mentioned *many* times when one uses a search engine to find out what may cause the 0xc000007b error message ("The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)").

But again, you know... corrupt country, desperate company, blah blah blah.

For the record, the basic steps of checking for HDD surface defects and using SFC are part of the pre-repair steps recommended and available in Windows Repair by Tweaking.com, which has been already mentioned in the second post of this thread.

Last edited:
Level 21
i had no idea that dll issues could be caused by my using a 64 bit dll with a 32 bit program. i was hoping that you would try to help me. my harddrive i less than a year old and the problems started after i got it replaced so bad sectors is unlikely. bad sectors also does not cause such errors but lockups where the computer stops working with everything still loaded. bad sectors is something i have experience with. what could really help is to know what dlls origin requires so that i can find the right ones and install them.

Level 21
i already know that. what i do not know is exactly which dll file it is that is bad or wrong. the same dll file seems to be used for both origin and icedragon. since both have browser functionality it is likely browser based. why internet explorer will not update however is not known to me but not that important either as i can still use it for certain things. think railway mogul also requires it.

Level 21
there is still a lockout preventing installation of that dll file through windows installer and a lockout preventing me from updating internet explorer. a lockout preventing installation of dll files however can be circumvented by installing the dll manually. i still need to know what dll to install and where to install it.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You need to do what DSG told you to do. Please read his posts again.

Other people also told you to do additional things, too. So please read the entire thread, and do these additional things.

Status
Not open for further replies.