• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how can i make a 1st person camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Not really possible in WC3 as the game engine is not designed for it. You can try but expect a load of problems to overcome.

Quoting him because I know myself that 1st person camera is seriously not for Wc3.

It does work. Arad MNK created a good one in the map I linked before.
It does not work as good as modern first persons, sure. But it does work.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is full of problems, as I said. The game engine is just not designed for such views. Especially on larger maps the game can start to perform badly due to all the render API calls.

Other problems include first person interfaces (eg showing carrying the gun or your hands), camera height deflection due to flying height changes, camera clipping through geometry, shader performance due to sub-optimal viewing angle and portraying the first person actor in multiplayer situations.

What if you account for this by shrinking the object sizes and map size? It would lower the resolution a little but it could reduce some of the other issues. I've seen some nice stuff. There is a great flight simulator and a nice 1st person shooter on youtube. I do agree with the Doctor though, it's definitely not ideal.

Last edited:
Level 17

It was horrible, to be honest.

It went through walls, terrain, and the timeout was tricky.
I coulda fixed that by using the camera Z and pathing and etc but there was only 3 days time, so I couldn't.
That might actually be a good idea for a future system.

Status
Not open for further replies.