• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

how can i get a game that require a virtual device driver to install without it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i am trying to install fallen haven and it requires a virtual device driver
Why does it need a "virtual device driver"? No game should require a kernel level driver (unless it is a Trojan trying to hack you).

Since the game was made in 1998 I am afraid you cannot do anything. Windows Vista 64 and Windows 7 + can only install signed drivers (to prevent such Trojans I was hinting above). Since this is an old driver I highly doubt it is signed so you cannot install it. You will need to run a Virtual Machine of Windows 98 or 2000 or something which the driver does support.

I advise checking the language options of your spell checker as it seems to not be working properly. The word you want is physical. Such as a physical copy, physical education, physics etc.

how can i get it to install from the fysical cd
Load up a compatible OS and install it like normal. It should work.

It may help if you describe what the purpose of this driver is (what it does). There may exist alternatives, possibly even from third parties, that do work on modern operating systems and can be downloaded from the internet.

Level 21
i am using 32 bit vista and i got it working before in the same system but certain games requires a virtual device driver to run for some reason. in norwegian it is fysisk, gym and fysikk so that explains some of the stuff you commented on. i just tried to install the game and because i dont have a virtual device driver it wont install. please help me out.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
the game runs in windows only
That is obvious and why I never told you to try running it on Linux or Mac.

the installer might be 16 bit though
You mean the game might be 16 bit?

By the sounds of it the game was designed for Windows 95/98. These operating systems are very old and pre-date the NT kernel used by XP, Vista, 7 and 8. As such any virtual driver the game requires (why does it need them?) will likely not work.

A search on the internet shows heavy compatibility problems with even XP (let alone Vista). The recommended approach to play the game was to use a virtual machine running Windows 98 to play it. This virtual machine can be conveniently run from inside the main operating system and since the game is old the cost of performance of the virtual machine can be ignored.

Level 21
the biggest problem is to get it to install. it requires registry keys to run so it have to be installed. whenever i try to run it get a 16 bit message so the installer requires 16 bit something. i havent had any problems with running the game but i had to reinstall it because i reinstalled windows some time ago. i installed it on a different harddrive because the original was too small so maybe the registry keys are present in the old folder. i dont however know where. do you know.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
maybe the registry keys are present in the old folder.
Registry keys go inside the registry which, as far as I know, is always on the boot partition (although I guess you could move it but that seems pointless). The registry I believe is part of the kernel itself so on the boot partition goes inside hidden sectors which are not mapped to files.

Status
Not open for further replies.