• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How can I apply versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
When we are creating a map we need to be consistent with the map version, I mean the number.

I see many types of counting version like:

v1.0, v1.0a, v1.0b, v1.0c, v1.0d...
or
v1.1.2, v1.1.3... and so one.

I realy wanted to understand the right way to count the versions.

Are there any rule for this?

Level 3
If you have just a small team, simply make up your own system for subversions. You could use the system that Rowboat provided before, which will give you up to 100 subversions between major releases. You can also use the letters following the version to indicate minor fixes/changes. That gives you pretty much more possible versions than you will probably make.

Versions don't necessarily follow a set pattern. It's different with every development team. You could make your own code, for example:

Each integer point is a new released version, with multiple additions/fixes. (1.00, 2.00, etc.)

Each hundredth point is a minor revision, fixing a particular problem or adding a small amount. (1.01, 1.13, etc.)

Each letter could hint at the revision type. 'A' for add, 'F' for fix, 'C' for change, etc. (1.01a, 1.13f, 1.12c) Or they could just address a separate version of the file fixing the same issue as the hundredth point.

It's really up to you. Just make sure everyone working on your team follows the same set of rules and you'll be fine.

Level 7
The way i always understood it is theres Alpha(game can be played) then Beta(Some more testing) then .01 or 1.0(First real release) then updating it's usually .01 added each time unless theres a relatively large gap then you may add .10 instead. For small quick bug fixes .01a or .01b depending on the # of bugs and updates released.

Level 20
1.00 = The first "real" playable version. All versions below this are beta, alpha, delta, zelta, test versions.

Then you can continue with 1.01, 1.01b, 1.01c. Higher numbers mean newer version, while the letters in the end of the version number are acting as extra numbers, there is no a.

Level 12
-Insert Comment- and Linaze got it right. Use theirs.

0.90 beta
All values below 1 are considered beta or Alpha.

Above one is actual release. Two means minor fixes. Three means minor changes

1.23c
C sometimes means beta changes, or changes that may not remain, or be un-changed

1.23f
F ususally means 'Final Version' like final of 1.23. Not the whole map.

6.34Fe
Fe usually means Final edition. Like done forever.
That's just me. You do it how you feel!

Last edited:

dab

dab

Level 10
Well, as every1 else has been saying, its 1.00, 2.00, 3.00, 4.00 etc for MAJOR Updates(Adding new Arena, or creating a new interface, or anything that will change the users gameplay, no-matter how he chooses to play) 1.20, 1.30 etc is used for stuff which doesn't necessarily affect EVERY player(For instance, a new chooseable hero, maybe multiple, new spells, new items etc), and finally 1.21, 1.22, 1.23 etc is for bug fixes(For example, if you have created a spell last version and it bugs, this is where you implement a 1.11 fix, or a hero which is unbalanced etc. Some1 should do a tutorial on how to do it propperly :grin:). But as said, its all up to yourself, im just listing the default's. Oh, and a notice, 1.23d is only used for beta releases(for example, you have a hero, which you are unsure of the importance of, and you think people will hate him). Hope me, and every one else has helped you out

Level 4
ok for me my system is basically

anything with a change in whole number 1.00 2.00 3.00 are big changes

anything small number .01 .03 .07 are small changes

anything with letter at end .01a alpha .01b beta

If im moving between a large update i save the map numbers 1.99 2.99 3.99 for updating to the next big update...more explained below

so when i put together right now my map is a 0.03a

after release it will be a 1.00 and if i make a small change 1.03 or sumthin depending on change... if i decide to release a newer version with great changes like a 2.00 then while im working on it i will move up as 1.99a then 1.99b

In the end its good too make your own but so people will see a steady change they wont see it from 1.00 to 9.43b and be like WTF!?!

Level 2
WoW guys, I can see now that we have no default. I'm thinking of making my own from one of yours but, there are lots of it and it makes me confuse.

But, as we are into a big comunity, why don't we make a default?

Level 12
Well, seems like a good idea, BUT! You don't decide over something as simple as that. And none really cares, as long as we just know its higher version

Yeah. No-one really cares, as long as you don't go...
v.09Beta
v5.67c
v.3.321432345a
v.4.78fe

That would make no sense, unless you are chinese or something.
We don't need a default, we just need people to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.