• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • ✅ The POLL for Hive's Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Vote for the TOP 3 SKINS! 🔗Click here to cast your vote!

Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hello People.

I was just curious about marking version numbers. What's the general rule when updating a map (or program) or even before alpha release how do you mark the version number?

I like to be organised. I know I could put any number but I prefer to look pro :>

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!
Much luv

Level 11
People use their own styles, but generally < 1.0 = alpha/beta and 1.0+ means full public release. Some people have their version numbers go 2.0 or over just thru normal patches/updates but technically you shouldn't change the number before the decimal unless you have made a MAJOR modification.

Some people might even place two or more decimals for easy separation. Personally the system I use now is: x.y.z, x=0 for alpha/beta, x=1 for full release, y is version number, z is update number.

The most important thing to remember, though, is to be consistent. Once you have a system, stick with it or people will start going wtf? when you switch it up on them.

Level 8
dont try to look pro only cos your maps name is "the ultimate kickass vers. 1.096646", but try to look pro if your map looks pro too.

Damn how did u know my map's name?

So mostly past beta it should be 1.x.
Ok cool. Just up to the creator to decide what constitues major or minor change.

Status
Not open for further replies.