• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is it worth protecting a map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello Hive

I'm almost done with the first version of a tower defense game, and I plan to release it for testing and whatnot, the problem is, I don't want people making unauthorized versions until I am done completely with the map, once it is done to the point I intent to, I plan to release an unprotected version for people to freely mod and/or look at the triggers.

Any suggestions?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Protecting a map is never worth it as no one can play it then. You are advised to optimize and/or widigitize the map when you release it to improve performance and load times. This makes it difficult for players to modify data in the map as it removes files important to the world editor but does not stop them reading the files and modifying them then putting them in a new map archive.

Optimization also improves the execution speed of code as it shortans function and variable names. The JASS interpreter that WC3 uses has O(n) complexity opperations on the names of functions and variables where n is the number of characters long the name is.

Status
Not open for further replies.