• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hostbots are killing bnet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
who else agrees? hosting used to be a privilege, before hostbots came and took over. I wasn't playing at the time when hostbots were introduced, but i can say that now they cover over 80% of all hosted games, and those games are the same maps over and over. Its nearly impossible for a new map to be popular without a hostbot now. This is gonna happen in sc2 and all other strategy games released by blizzard. Blizzard, I am dissapoint.

/rant

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
One thing still confuses me about your post...

How are hostbots killing battlenet? Where is the logic behind that?

If anything they are keeping battlenet alive as they allow people who are too stupid to host (or other more valid reasons) to host so that there are more variety of games. Before the list used to be full of 80% DotA. With host bots its only 50% full of DotA.

They are also less spammy than the auto refreshers some hosts use, another plus.

Level 2
more variety of games

The thing is, most hostbots only have one map in their database, so thats all that is hosted. The only "regular" hostbots i see around anymore are for dota, battletanks/battleships and other "mainstream" maps. Im just saying it makes it harder for anyone to get their map played without dishing out money to the bot companies to host their map.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Most proper functioning hostbots are private run. They are run off private servers from privat peoples homes. They generally default to repeat hosting a map however they often have 100s of maps in their databases which the owners have hosted with them or plan to host with them. Eg a clan would often have a host bot run by someone in the clan, which the clan uses to host all the maps they play and make.

The comercial ones do not get your map far at all. Anyway, your map still appears in the game list, if people are too stupid to look through the whole list they are to blame and not the bots.

Level 7
I agree, the flood of host bots is making the finding and playing of a game extremely difficult. Heck, I have to wait ten minutes just for a DotA game to get started anymore, let alone one of the lesser known games.

More variety you say? More like lack-thereof. Operating a hostbot is not something easily accomplished by anyone, likewise, generating the necessary file to interface with the bot isn't the funnest of times for your average warcraft 3 player. You're stuck with what the community gives you, or requesting and waiting. Hostbots host the exact same thing practicially all day mostly for the sake of advertising. #347, #965, they say.

I mean, sticking with DotA and the DotAcash, DotAPub, and others, these bots generally have a very poor connection, drop at least two players a game, and take forever to bring anyone in because there are so MANY of them. DotA used to be flooded as it was but now when you have four DotAPubs, three DotACash, and others. Any of the real DotA players had sifted into inhousing only in order to avoid the chaos.

Now onward to the other games. Metastatis and Parasite are ones i tend to see hosted almost all the time. As well as I see a Madballs one always up. Impossible Seige too. I should not be able to cite games I see every single time I look at the list. You call that variety? It was bad enough when DotA was always there, but now five or more games have joined its ranks because of constant bot hosting. The majority of the time the other games that might stand somewhat of a chance of being entertaining are just compeltely empty as well.

That's another thing, Host bots are almost always empty, the owner, or any owner is not present, it is being hosted just for the sake of it. This might seem like a great idea at first, really get your game, or some game out there, but it detracts from a social experience we had as far as playing with others. The first person who enters is alone, the second person has no reason to talk to the first, he'll more then likely just sit and wait for the game to start, rinse and repeat until the game starts, several people leave because they've developed little or no dialog and they now find the game boring. The game ends. It's rehosted.

When people actually hosted, they tended to talk to the people who joined. I don't know if you did, but I always have. Generally because I was bored myself and knew it might be a while. That simple human dialog is what keeps most people around in the first place. If I wanted to play a game alone, i'd go play something on single-player.

So yes, I absolutely agree. Hosting bots are damaging Battle.net with a flood of supply, and an ever decreasing demand. I seriously hope this plague does not infect sc2 for a very, very long time, as it was originally with wc3.

Level 19
I like the hostbots.

Honestly? One hour searching for a good game has decreased to whoising a bot and joining his game.

UA and NotD Aftermath is also hosted all the time.

For people who like the hosted games -- Win.
For people who don't -- Fail.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If your favorite map is not being hosted, host it yourself, people can still join you know.

The main reason for harder to fill games is that there are fewer players if you have not realies.

If you kidnap people from thirdparty WAN servers via LAN and get them onto battlenet then you would have more players (where a lot of them went).

Level 20
I can see both benefits and downsides to it. All i'll say is, I hope they enforce their rules more effectively on BNet 2.0 (sc2) because they go on about banning bots and stuff and two weeks later, the bots have a slight script code and their back, twice as numerous, for better or for worse.

I don't mind the bots, though I do agree with the variety of games, luckily some popular ones I like so idk... There tolerable at worst, helpful at best.

Level 3
yes they realy go on my nerves. i see so many games hosted by bots and if it a game where u have to choose settings the settings are most time crap

Level 19
I use hosting bots alot, mainly for "Legion TD" because it saves my bandwidth, and it means i can torrent, and get alot of downloads done whilst playing my favourite type of maps.

I see where your coming from, and i know alot of bots do host mainly the following:
DotA <- Mainly the most
Legion TD
DBZ Tribute
Battleships

But its very useful if you ask me for the wc3 community. There are some hosting websites for wc3 maps (AKA Websites which hosts maps by bots), which you don't have to pay for your map to be added to the list. Since they make most of their money from traffic, and donations.

Level 19
For all you might know, hostbots might be useful one day too... Maybe it'll even bring Battle.Net back into the picture instead of Garena all the time...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Battlenet is returning, and going to kill Garena.

Unlike previous games, SC2's battlenet system requires you to log in with your battlenet account inorder to play any form of multiplayer. No LAN = no shitty Garena. To seal Garena's doom, blizzard is now taking legal action against anyone who does the slightest thing to reverse engineer or set up a fake battlenet 2.0.

I hope people realise how stupid Garena is and come back to using battlenet.

Level 19
Battlenet is returning, and going to kill Garena.

Unlike previous games, SC2's battlenet system requires you to log in with your battlenet account inorder to play any form of multiplayer. No LAN = no shitty Garena. To seal Garena's doom, blizzard is now taking legal action against anyone who does the slightest thing to reverse engineer or set up a fake battlenet 2.0.

I hope people realise how stupid Garena is and come back to using battlenet.

Wow. Nicely said...

Status
Not open for further replies.