• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Hive Workshop Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
HiveGrandPrix.jpg

The idea of this project has been born here. There you can read most important things of it.

Leader: Chaos

Project status: Not started yet, in work.

Project only hosted on http://www.hiveworkshop.com/
Idea of this project: The team will be create the HIVE WORKSHOP GRAND PRIX, the idea of this map is given by Azeroth Grand Prix made by Blizzard Entertainment. We're hopefully going to create a good-quality working map and to attract people to here. Now it's the time to create a better and more creative version of this wonderful map idea. We gonna make a new race map !

This project is made by the hiveworkshop membership and it should represent their skills and qualities. If you wanna help, take a look into the recruiting box.

Staff

• Map Development - Chaos
  • Terraining - Chaos, Herio-san
  • Sounds/Music - Chaos
  • Advanced Triggering - HappyTauren
  • Simple Triggering - Chaos, Herio-San
  • Art - Herio-san
Recruiting

List of needed help:
  • Skinning/Iconing - ???
  • Modeling - ???
  • Cinematic - ???
  • Testing - ???
  • Advertising - ???
  • AI - ???
Take a closer look down what do I expect of each.

Information

• Simple Triggering: Maybe after I refreshed my triggering abilities, you can not join with this position the team. If it's change,I write it in here.
  • Advanced Triggering: There you go, there comes the time, where I do not know how to do it, and specially these difficult things, may include JASS, I'll check it, when the project grows up.
  • Advanced Terraining: The map won't be with the standard structure terrained, so I want it, we want to have it where special and unique, need an skilled terrainer within this project. Needs WEU !
  • Skinning/Iconing : Do not know yet, the project may need one ?!?
  • Modeling/(Animation): Let's see what ideas you gonna present here, so the project may need special models for it or unique animations for already created models.
  • Cinematic: Not decided yet, it may go under Simple Triggering and Advanced Triggering, so not really needed ?
  • Art: Really needed ! Maybe some conepts, but I wanted a nice picture to the theme for the loading screen and the map-preview picture, so if there won't be any person for it, I need to take screenshots, wanted to prevent it.
    I know it's a difficult and unique theme ...
  • Testing: The best way to get it tested, we'll need up to 12 players for the map, that makes it up to 12 testers, request people who played a lot and who simple know what it needs to be approved, not that easy !
  • Advertising: Well, let's see, if it's the time, you guys can advertise this finished map, but it's very important, that you link it to here, to advertise in additon hiveworkshop.
  • AI (Artifical Intelligence): I really hope to get an AI included, cause it should be playable in Single Player and next to this, it could fill all these games in Battle.net where player are missing.
Note: If you want to join this project in any way, present yourself and show something you made before which shows your skills, that makes it for me easier to judge who will join, and who won't. However, I wish to keep this project clean of these bad guys out there, like spamers, stealers, you know what I mean. Next to this, even if you can help the project specially in one way I presented up, you can gives us additonal ideas for it.

Good luck to all who are helping this project !

Chaos

Last edited:
Level 36
I'm not sure what I can help with, I suppose ideas in general, because I'm very good at that.... i'm all around in triggering and such, I blow at terraining so no help there, and you could probably count me out for models/skins/icons etc. If you find a job for me, just let me know :)

Level 8
Thanks guys for helping me with this !
Updated "Staff" and also added "AI" to the recruiting box.

For record, keep patient until I start this project, and the most important thing, do not post any WIP of the map somewhere, use private mails/messages if you send the whole map, any other things related stuff to this project can be posted here, of course ;)

Chaos

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
azeroth grand prix is unplayable because it has low-angle camera. low angle = wide cone of sight = alot of objects in field of view = lag

What the hell are you all on about?
Azeroth grand prix was VERY playable and runs at atleast 45 FPS and the reason everyone leaves is it is bugged with a server split, not the lag.

And my computer is by far not top notch, its processor is no dual core and I only have a nvedia geforce 7 7800GS.
A nvedia 8800 owner must be laughing if he reads this since even on a geforce 6 6800 azeroth grand prix runs at 30 odd FPS.

Ai seems impossiable for such a map, in racing games they use advanced pathing systems which WC3 has no support for.
Emulating theses fetures in jass will result it BAD lag and I mean UNPLAYABLE LAG unless you want the cars to go in a fixed, not changing path since think about all the culculations for basic response methods.

It would be nice to see a level system for vercials, by killing traps and such, which increases your actions power and your speed.
Also random events would be great.

Maybe a battle mode? First to reduce your foes HP to 0 wins.

I might help out with jass triggering if your stuck but I WILL NOT EVEN TRY to make an AI for this since it will be insanily complex and CPU demanding.

Level 8
I might help out with jass triggering if your stuck but I WILL NOT EVEN TRY to make an AI for this since it will be insanily complex and CPU demanding.

Well, never did such an AI for customs games, thanks for telling me this, so it's going to be left out, to preventing additional lag.

As you said, specials things, I got a lot of ideas:
Some preview:
Mud
-which slows down,
-brings slip
-or Fire/lava thingis which you simply harm.
Jumpers
- let your car jump up
Any turbo arrows on the street
- Increase(decrease your current speed for a second ?)

There are unlimited thoughts, and limited possibilities.

Chaos

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
AI is possiable and will not lag but it will have the IQ of a door knob (none) since it would have to go on almost a predefined path.
But any advanced driving skills, item uses or tactics is to be forgoten about since JASS can emulate AI but as we all know an emulation requires alot more process than it should.

In racing games they set a path of defined locations for the AI to follow which it then builds around and deploys some random ness. Also "stratigic locations" are defined for games like mario cart so that the AI prefers to deploy items in that area than out side.

AI will be possiable but it will require an index of X and Y locations to functions and would basicly order the AI car to folow them.
This could act as a practice but not a chalenge.

Maybe if your actual game engine is efficent enough a better AI could be made but for earily tests, atmost go with what I said above.

Level 8
If you want to help with "Advertising", you can copy this code into your signature.

PHP:
[URL="http://www.forums.hiveworkshop.com/showthread.php?p=234636#post234636"][IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/David_Bluemel/Advertising.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Thanks.

Level 14
What the hell are you all on about?
Azeroth grand prix was VERY playable and runs at atleast 45 FPS and the reason everyone leaves is it is bugged with a server split, not the lag.

And my computer is by far not top notch, its processor is no dual core and I only have a nvedia geforce 7 7800GS.
A nvedia 8800 owner must be laughing if he reads this since even on a geforce 6 6800 azeroth grand prix runs at 30 odd FPS.

Ai seems impossiable for such a map, in racing games they use advanced pathing systems which WC3 has no support for.
Emulating theses fetures in jass will result it BAD lag and I mean UNPLAYABLE LAG unless you want the cars to go in a fixed, not changing path since think about all the culculations for basic response methods.

It would be nice to see a level system for vercials, by killing traps and such, which increases your actions power and your speed.
Also random events would be great.

Maybe a battle mode? First to reduce your foes HP to 0 wins.

I get around 4-5 fps in Azeroth Grand Prix on my Geforce 2 >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.