• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Heroes of Newerth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi

If anyone that have tried this game and have an spare beta key they don't use, would on of those be so cind to email or pm me one? =)

Thanks.
Malloron.
[email protected]

Last edited:
Level 34
Someone was actually, but I don't think we really want people posting about keys, so use PMs or another site.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
WC3 is still cheaper nowdays at like only 15-20$ for both orignal and expansion.
However as that game is designed for DotA, it should have better graphics, better features and better preformance as well as be better expandable (cope with more data better due to a smarter load model than WC3).

Thus it probably will end up being better than WC3 DotA.

Level 12
WC3 is still cheaper nowdays at like only 15-20$ for both orignal and expansion.
However as that game is designed for DotA, it should have better graphics, better features and better preformance as well as be better expandable (cope with more data better due to a smarter load model than WC3).

Thus it probably will end up being better than WC3 DotA.

If people are really that worried about cost, then League of Legends beats em all hands down. 1, 2, 3, FREE!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
PurplePoot, there are more than 1 way to skin a cat.
WC3 uses perfect sync to work, whereby orders and input are transfered between players and the output and results of everyone playing the map on every PC is the same at a given point of game time (except for locally run effect code which we are not counting). The delay is caused by having to allow time for the code to sync between all players and lagspikes occur if the delay is exceeded and to prevent players falling out of sync the game is paused until everyone receives the data.

Games like freelancer however use a much less perfect syncronization. Whereby key parameters like your location and speed are sent to the server and fowarded to all players creating a representation of you moving and shooting. However you actually move a lot more fluidly and precisly than other people see and in fact many movements you do may not even be displayed to viewers. Lag in this case result in fewer of your movements being displayed on time and in sync so you may appear to teleport on other peoples computers as your velocity is not keeping close enough (updating correctly) to match how you are moving. This code means you have no delay on your side, and action delay can be negated in some ways via cleaver programming to take into acount the data you are sending is old and so allow for smooth play. However in the case of when WC3 gets lagspikes, the game pretty much falls appart as units start to teleport and you can not target anythingas they are not where they appear to you to be.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Delay is a good thing and is put in place purposely by the programmers because the alternative is lag spikes, which are not fun.

As much as you would like to think otherwise, HoN cannot circumvent transfer rates.

Actually, I prefer lag spikes over delay. Why? Because delay is only in your end, while lag spikes happen to everyone in the game because it is actually a pause to resync. Constantly being delayed is not at all fun, spikes I can cope with. Anyhow, I never (few exceptions at least) have noticeable delay in DotA games, neither do I experience a lot of spikes. Though the few games I do have delay, I can't play at all.

HoN circumvents it with predictive rendering (probably not the correct term) which allows you to experience the game as smooth and instant, while what you see is not always what others see (if the transfer rate is excellent, the display is more authentic to what the rest of the players see). This kind of rendering does not affect your gameplay experience a whole lot, other than last millisecond escapes might not come true because the clever move was not predicted and the delayed opponent therefore gained a handicap bonus and got you either way.

Level 11
Well this is actually original game. So it costs. But I think the content isnt worth 30$. No story, no singleplayer... It has some kind of connection from Savage 2, well its based on DotA but in Savage 2 world. Still... But the gameplay is way better than wc3 DotA map for me. After palying this you wont turn back to dota wc3 map probbly.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I have played HoN (about 200 matches) and I returned to DotA. Why? Because my super-suspicious university connections blocks everything that remotely resembles UDP traffic. WarCraft 3 is pretty much the only online multiplayer (except MMORPGs) game that I can actually play online.

Level 5
HoN circumvents it with predictive rendering (probably not the correct term) which allows you to experience the game as smooth and instant, while what you see is not always what others see (if the transfer rate is excellent, the display is more authentic to what the rest of the players see). This kind of rendering does not affect your gameplay experience a whole lot, other than last millisecond escapes might not come true because the clever move was not predicted and the delayed opponent therefore gained a handicap bonus and got you either way.
if this is true... so to make replays will be pain in ass for them...

Status
Not open for further replies.