• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Troll Firedancer

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Troll firedancer. Inspiration: Fire Dancer

Thanks to Kyrbi0 for pointing me to that model.

Keywords:
Troll, firedancer, hero, fire, flames
Contents

Hero Troll Firedancer (Model)

Hero Troll Firedancer (Model)

Reviews
13:33, 24th Feb 2016 HappyCockroach: Really great-looking model. Has its own character and is very well-executed. You picked many different in-game anims, clearly tweaked them and added your own. Still there are some things you should look through...

M

13:33, 24th Feb 2016
HappyCockroach:
Really great-looking model. Has its own character and is very well-executed. You picked many different in-game anims, clearly tweaked them and added your own. Still there are some things you should look through:
- Required fix: the weapon attachment point isn't attached to any bone, so it isn't performing correctly (orbs do not appear properly, buffs, etc). The hand left / right attachments seem a bit off as well. You could check if they are positioned and parented correctly.
- Recommended fix: you can remove the Portrait animation (and its keyframes) from the non-portrait model, since it has a portrait. (It is useful in case someone wants to save filesize and use only the regular model, but that is better done posting an alternative model at the thread, so those who use the portrait don't end up with the extra KB)
- Recommended fix: it would be nice if you added fiery ribbons to the tips of the staff, so as it moves around leaves a continous fire trail.
- Recommended fix: reduce the opacity, or the quantity of team glow planes. They are too intense at the moment.
That's it. I'm waiting on the updates. You can notify me once you do them, if you want.

You should work on your proportions. The legs are uncomfortably thin, and very distractingly short.

Pectorals - Both pecs should be roughly square. Size value of (1)
Shoulders/Neck - Simply the part above the pecs, has a length of (1.7-2)
Abdomen - The abdomen should be rectangular, with a height of (2)
Hip - Height of roughly (.5)
Thighs - Height of roughly (1.2/1.4)
Shins - Height of roughly (1.5/1.7)
Deltoid(Bulbous part, top of arm) - Square/slightly rectangular(height-wise), minimum overall size of (.4-.8)
Bicep - Height of (.9/1.1)
Forearm - Height of (1.1/1.3)
Head - Depending on musculature, head should be comparable to the size of one pec, for example, a size value of (.7/.9) implies extreme musculature.

In general, the thighs should be thick enough that, if standing at attention, the characters' legs are pressed together, and are at the very least, both as thick as the hips themselves.

I've noticed that proportions seem to be a bit of an issue with your stuff, so I hope this helps. These rules apply rather generally to every upright standing species, save for the hunched ones, such as Tauren, Kobolds or Gnolls.

Aside from all that, I like this model. Good job.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
You should work on your proportions. The legs are uncomfortably thin, and very distractingly short.
I've noticed that proportions seem to be a bit of an issue with your stuff, so I hope this helps. These rules apply rather generally to every upright standing species, save for the hunched ones, such as Tauren, Kobolds or Gnolls.
I cannot lie; while I agree that there are some proportion issues, I am a little surprised to see you offering guidance; your models' proportions are one of the single-most consistently 'off' parts.

~~~

Fantastic to see this up, man; also grateful that you considered my off-hand mention 'inspiration'. : ) You couldn't pick a better model. In particular, I have to praise something I generally 'downvote' models for... Your use of the Blademaster anims. Sure, they are tweaked, but it's still obvious, and I'll be honest; my first thought was "ugh, not another BM-clone"... But by simply not having a sword, you really utilized the boring-old BM anims in a new & interesting way; this is up there with that guy who used the Blood Mage anims to make the "evil swordsman" (Myrrdral) model... Sick.

Before critiquing/offering suggestions, I will first ask: How much did you want to pattern after Mc!'s Fire Dancer model? The answer to that will change much of what I have to say next, but I'll move on anyway.
  • For one, I agree with Direfury on the proportions; for me it simply feels like the torso/trunk is too long for the rest of the body parts. Lengthening everything else or shortening the trunk might help? Maybe.
  • For two, I think this model could definitely benefit with some serious Asymmetry; Trolls are big on asymmetry (e.g. the Shadow Hunter as a great example), and having a bilateral mask, identical cuffs, and mirror-image pauldrons... Well, it's not bad, but it can be better. If you only change one thing, change one of the shoulder-pads; it's snazzy & I love it (quite unique), but he shouldn't have two identical ones. (then, maybe, chop a few chunks/slices into the mask on one side, make it less 'perfect')
  • For three, JUNGLE TROLLZ. That is all. :D (also, doing that would let you get those awexome chest tattoos in)
  • For four, while this goes a long way towards becoming a Hero (and I know you'll hate to hear me say it again), I feel like this more resembles a unit. Especially in comparison to Mc!'s model; proportions are a big part of it but it's also the... ugh, I'm still figuring it out. It's not just nurnies, either (though some of that might help; side-dagger? criss-crossed back-rack of Torches? Quiver full of torches? etc). But each Hero model has a really distinctive, characteristic look & aesthetic to them; a unique 'silhouette' that really stands out. The Warden's huge bladed cap, chakram, and armor-wings; the Paladin's hammer & tabard-cape; the Blademaster's giant sword & big flag-post & ball-necklace... Each have 2-4 'things' that really set them apart.
  • For five, while I love what you did with the animations, I feel like he could use just a bit more love, from a few more sources... I noticed the Demon Hunter & Blood Mage stuff, but max it out; this guy's a Fire Dancer! Blood Mage attack (spinning), Demon Hunter stand (balancing), Dreadlord, Shaman, Firelord, Jaina... I'm running out of ideas. Your's will probably be better. : ) But don't be afraid to throw more in there; especially 'dancing' ones.
  • For six... This gets into the part where your answer to the above is important.

If you aren't trying to get "as close as you can" to Mc!'s, that's fine; I would still suggest the following:
    • Shorten the staff. It is just really long.
    • Moar Fire SFX. Seriously, even in Magos the little fire trail is pitiful. Mc!'s still image has more fire going on than yours does in mid-animation. : ) Probably needs at least 2 sets on each end (1 for the "intense inner fire" and 1 for the "bigger/cloudy outer fire"), and the swings of the Attack/Spell anims could benefit from some serious trailing flames.
    • Speaking of SFX, if you can, some fiery red ribbons would absolutely nail this guy to the friggin ceiling. In a good way. :p
    • The tusks could be more impressive; most Troll Hero's, I'd say, have impressive tusks.

If you were going for "as close to Mc!'s as possible" (a commendable venture), I'd say you can't go wrong with adding the grassy bits, mimicking the mask, and other bits won't hurt.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Anyway, sorry for the unintentional Wall 'o' Text... Hope it can help. : )

Last edited:
Level 42
This is Nice..... Damn, I don't even know how to wrap detail in my stuff, The amount of detail on the mask, The Armour and Mask, is extremely beautiful, :D I very love it.

If you thinking of fixing the proportion, Im thinking of Scaling the lowerbody up around 40%,

The designs are so beautiful, Love this alot
Gotta use this as reference for my Rexxy's Armour's texture choice if you don't mind

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
If you thinking of fixing the proportion, Im thinking of Scaling the lowerbody up around 40%
I tried this, but the waist-part looks weird...

Good work, Proxy, but i think that you might want to use a different animation set for him. I think trolls are not supposed to walk this straight. Try blizzard-made troll animations instead. Right now he looks like more of an orc with troll fangs.
Ah dannae, while most Trolls have some kind of hunch, it depends on the Troll (Forest Trolls don't hunch as much, for example), and on the unit (Witch Doctor's barely hunch at all, while Shadow Hunters are pretty much bent like a pretzel. :p). This one doesn't look too bad IMO... But just out of curiosity, what other animation set would you suggest? Normally I too hate the generic Blademaster, but it's a bit of a different take which interests me.