• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Hero Passive Glaive Ability...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
The problem making a hero glaive ability is that it is an upgrade that actually increases the number of targets, and I have no clue how to trigger the upgrade every time the spell lvl is increased. Or make it so it doesn't trigger anything and has the same effect. Also, tomes of retraining are used and because it is an upgrade used, you could potentially hit infinte units. Help...

Level 3
If i'm reading you question right, then what you want to do is make a dummy passive ability that is learned, like critical strike with 0% chance. Then make your upgrade for moonglaive. And trigger it like this, with blizzard being the dummy skill and the hero having your custom moonglaive upgrade that you made for that hero.

Untitled Trigger 001
Events
Unit - A unit Learns a skill
Conditions
(Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Blizzard
Actions
Player - Set the current research level of Upgrade Moon Glaive to ((Current research level of Upgrade Moon Glaive for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) + 1) for (Owner of (Triggering unit))

For the tome of retaining, it is simple the reverse,
Untitled Trigger 002
Events
Unit - A unit Uses an item
Conditions
(Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Tome of Retraining
(Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Archmage
Actions
Player - Set the current research level of Upgrade Moon Glaive to 0 for (Owner of (Triggering unit))

At least i'm pretty sure thats how u would do it, i havn't done anything like that myself.

Level 6
Looking back at it, why does a dummy skill need to be used? And then why blizzard? I'm still new at spell creating using triggers, and everything doesn't make sense yet. I can't find the "A unit learns a skill" option, among others. Is there a way I can just type what I want in? Sorry I know so little but thanks for your help.

Level 3
I'm not really sure what you mean by , just type what you want in, the stuff in my previous post is a copy and paste from a trigger, the skill u are trying to create needs a trigger to work.
This is because the moonglaive "ability" in normal RTS warcraft is not even an ability, it's just a modified attack with maximum number of targets changed to 2 and weapon type changed to missle bounce. The upgrade just changes the maximum number of targets to 3.

By dummy skill, i just mean an ability that you create so can click on it to learn the ability, which is actually an upgrade you are changing.
Blizzard is actually a very bad ability to use as a dummy spell because you can click on it as if you were going to cast something, i just added that in because i made that trigger fast, the best skill to copy is storm hammers, make that a hero ability and remove dependancies, or critical strike with 0% chance.
Unit learns a skill is under "Unit - Generic Unit Event"

Hope this cleared things up -.-''

Level 6
That helped a ton man. I really appreciate it. Lots of stuff makes more sense.

What I meant by "I wish i could just type it in" is like a text box and you wrote the trigger letter by letter. Not possible, I know now, but didn't then.

Btw, do you use an additional program to edit Warcraft stuff? If you do, can you send me a link to get it? Thanks.

Level 3
You should try this.. Use chain lightning as a 100% proc on attack. Then make trigger it to do hero base damage -X% each bounce.

Edit: Of course also change the projectile art to whatever missile you use. and slow the bounce speed if you want to :)

Level 6
I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

I'm using Chain Lightning as my attack? but thats not passive... or do you mean something else?.... I'm so confused. Maybe i'll just send me a working example (tested, not in theory). I learn quick from working examples.

Send to vipermustang123 at yahoo dot com

Level 3
What i mean is. Make a dummy unit with chain lightning. Make this chain lightning spell equal to your heroes base damage. Do a passive skill such as crit strike on your hero with 0% chance and all. Make the chain lightning a 100% proc ability thats animation is a glaive. If you want it to reduce damage per bounce just add that in the dummy abil.

Level 6
Man, I appreciate the idea and all, but, I'm so new to this stuff that I have no idea what you meant. :) If you could, I'd rather that you created a working ability and sent it to me. I learn by example quickly, but by lecturing and stuff I'm terrible.

Level 2
You should try this.. Use chain lightning as a 100% proc on attack. Then make trigger it to do hero base damage -X% each bounce.

Edit: Of course also change the projectile art to whatever missile you use. and slow the bounce speed if you want to :)

Interesting proposal; I actually had this question. But how do you access a hero's damage as a variable?

Level 11
This is crazy, don't do that...
If you don't want to use Tome of retraining in your map, then do tha same as xD.Dunedain wrote in the second post. If you want to, then forget custom spells, as most of them have to be recreated in order to work with Tome of retraining too...

Status
Not open for further replies.