• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Ability to build different towers for each ability - abilities produce just the same tower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello everyone,

the title might not be precise enough for my problem, since I find it hard to describe:

I wanted to make a hero, which has the normal 3 abilities and the ultimate. Each ability should build a different tower, e.g. ice, fire, thunder and the ultimate would be a very strong tower (like the towers for the azure blizzard td, where ultimate tower is the Astral Zenit => i used this map as basis)
I customized the tiny hall item ability, to build the respectively tower instead of the hall. I made 4 abilities with the respectively tower and I adjusted the ability to have 3 levels (except the ulti of course) and it should build the respectively level of the tower for each ability level; hero ability is true, item ability is false

However, the actual behaviour in the game seems to be bugged (or I oversaw something...):
It seems that, when i level any of those abilities, all already leveled abilities seems to copy the last leveled one.

An example:
I create a hero with those 4 abilities and set him to level 8 and start the game
When i choose(levelup) one of the abilites for my hero, I can build that tower, lets say the ice tower lvl1.
Now I upgrade another ability, say the fire tower lvl1. Afterwards I am only able to build fire towers lvl1, even with the ice ability button!
After leveling and choosing another abilities, all buttons can only build that specific tower.

My debugging so far:
I already tried to create my 4 abilities with different "build tiny xx" abilities, since I thought they might be somehow connected, but it results in the same behaviour.
I tried to do it with spellbook as unit abilites with the same behaviour (last learned is the only tower you can build with all buttons)
I also copied the inital towers and gave them other names and made sure there are no tech requirements etc. and no triggers attached.

I know it can be done somehow with triggers, but from my understanding it should work just fine, so what am I missing?

If you need more information to help, I will be happy to provide more detail.

Best regards
fjen

you need to use others skills you cant use the same skill to make 3 skills for the same hero
-Build Tiny Altar of Kings
-Build Tiny Lumber Mill
-Build Tiny Farm
-Build Tiny Barracks
If you skill will get this error then you can use a dummy skill that will spawn a dummy that will build that tower for you

Last edited:
Level 2
thanks for the fast reply =)

I already tried to pick 4 different abilities, e.g. the 4 you suggested in your post. I altered the respectivly building in object editor to be the ones i want, but it had the same outcome:
The skill, which i last upgraded when gaining a new level for my hero, is the one, which will be casted (no matter which ability i use). If I have already 2 abilities lerned, which can build ice and fire tower, then those skills are overwritten by the lastest learned skill.

Since it is a map for 8 players and overall 10 buildings per player (3 abilities with respectively 3 different towers and one ultimate) i wanted to avoid implementing a trigger for each of those.

Level 39
You cannot set the base orderstring for any of the "Build Tiny..." abilities. They will always collide when a unit has multiple of them and only the highest priority will be cast every time. There are similar spells that do not take into account unit pathing that can be used to summon permanent buildings: Pocket Factory, Summon Water Elemental, Sentry Ward; none of these will snap to the grid, cost gold/lumber, or prevent building based on pathing maps/collisions.

The only way to use multiple "Build Tiny..." abilities on the same unit is to have each of them nested within a separate spellbook so they cannot collide. This would require the player to hit 2 hotkeys to build that tower, though it could always be the same hotkey twice for simplicity.

Level 2
Thanks for the help
Sadly with the others spells (pocket factory, sentry ward,...) it would be possible to build in the middle of the paths of the units and it would also be possible to block it completly...created regions everywhere could maybe be a solution.

I decided to use the "bug" as a feature, so that this is the final ability:
The hero can build 1 type of tower. The player can choose between the 3 different towers available (fire, ice, thunder) when initally getting the ability and could change the type of tower 2 times overall (the ability has 3 levels and therefore it can be updated 2 times). The ability is implemented with Spellbook, so that there are 3 different towers available.
Now the hero has the ability to produce 1 of the 3 towers, which can be adjusted 2 times in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.