• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ability based on Build Tiny Scout Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I based a hero ability on "Build Tiny Scout Tower" but when it is selected in a group of units the learned skill does not show.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_120915_224402_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_120915_224402_01.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 125
Pretty sure that you can summon towers with pocket factory or water elemental. Just set the duration to 0. That way it gets no expiration timer. Also, pocket tower should work too. Did you set it to "item ability - false" ???

I used the base I did so that structure pathing would be required. Yes it is False.

Level 12
Maybe you could make it work with some kind of dummy take root /up root ability.

catch the issed order to root -> now you know that pathing works -> cancel it and do whatever else you're supposed to at that location.

Probably not the greatest solution, and it might not work at all, but if you've got nothing else it should at least be worth to try it out, right?

Correct. However that matters quite a lot in a melee map.

Hmmm, yes, that's true. This is a very strange bug. I don't have WE available right now, but I assume you have looked through to see if there is some boolean for "show in group." The only other thing I can think of would be to add a dummy item when the spell is cast and trigger a switch to a dummy item cast. Does that make any sense?

Hmmm, yes, that's true. This is a very strange bug. I don't have WE available right now, but I assume you have looked through to see if there is some boolean for "show in group." The only other thing I can think of would be to add a dummy item when the spell is cast and trigger a switch to a dummy item cast. Does that make any sense?

Yes it does, I won't have access until the end of the month but I will keep trying.

I went through several hours of ideas last week while trying to solve this. It is some kind of hardcoded value.

It's ridiculous, but I would recommend using another ability as base and trigger it manually. This will bypass the issue perfectly.

But how do you make it check for pathing/buildability? I think he wants the shadow building placement thing like when you are actually giving a build order. The tiny tower does this, but pocket factory does not.

I suggested switching to a dummy item, but now that I think about it that will be tricky. You will need to order your caster to 'smart' on the item with a trigger, but if you have no room for an item, then what? Maybe a quick swap out and return?

But how do you make it check for pathing/buildability? I think he wants the shadow building placement thing like when you are actually giving a build order. The tiny tower does this, but pocket factory does not.

I suggested switching to a dummy item, but now that I think about it that will be tricky. You will need to order your caster to 'smart' on the item with a trigger, but if you have no room for an item, then what? Maybe a quick swap out and return?

I see, it makes sense.

For that trick, I would say it's pretty possihle. But then again, it's quite difficult by it's own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.