• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help with Winter Scenery Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Terraining maps wasn't a priority for me until recently so I'm quite inexperienced when it comes for me to make a good looking terrain. For this new project I'm on, I want it to have the terrain aspect on it's best potential so I need help now at the beginning of it.

My map is based on winter/snow/ice etc terrain. I need some help with some samples of winterlike terrain with doodads and everything or some tips into how to start making the terrain. Cause I always find it difficult to start something; in the process it becomes easier.

Tips, thoughts, examples plz

Level 22
I maed dis 4 u :D
38232d1221592176-theblooddancers-terrains-terrain-snowscape.jpg

Level 3
Thanks a lot for the effort, I can get an idea of how to start off the terrain and connect the environment items in a way now. But I need more in order to get ready to build a 256x256 map :O

Man you rock, more stuff like this please :D

Level 3
I downloaded it but I am lost I don't know what to begin with, I've made some good looking terrain but now that it comes for me to add environment stuff including trees or anything else I can't find ideas. That's where I need the help

Level 3
So I made my try for the beginning terrain of the map. It is supposed to be the first path into the winter forest that the hero will take. what I did is read a terraining guide that uses the smallest sized brush to make natural looking terrain and built up some terrain. Then I tried to add the trees and rocks but I think I can make it loads better than it is now.

Also I'm missing out the correct fog and the sky isn't displayed ingame :(

About the ground textures I would like it to a more friendly environment as it is the very beginning of the adventure and the place would better seem more peaceful, if you understand what I mean but that's of secondary importance.

This is what I got so far through 2 screenies.

One last thing: I'm using Icecrown Glacier textures and it's 1 or 2 empty places, if someone could guide me to a grassy-like texture that goes well with snowy and icy scenes.

EDIT: Erm I'm quite new to this forum so I can't manage the attachments very well someone help me with that too plz :)
(removed false attachments)

Last edited:
Level 34
When you take a screenshot, paste it into paint, crop the edges, and save it as PNG. Then upload it.

Level 3
OK so I edited the scene a little and I'm uploading the new screeny the right way

Take your eyes off the crystal and judge the rest of the picture :p

Attachments

• path.png
    path.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 420
  • path2.png
    path2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 224
Level 34
Don't show the end of the world like that. Use more small plant doodads like grass and shrubs. The tile variation and height variation are pretty good.

Level 3
Actually it's not the end of the world cause I'm gonna build the path according to my RPG plot.
I will add some more small plants and will upload when it's ready. What about a grass-like texture that fits in my terrain, is there any?

EDIT: I'm uploading the terrain now using few scattered grass doodads and mass grass doodads.

Attachments

• path1.png
    path1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 497
  • path2.png
    path2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 354
  • pathnew.png
    pathnew.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
  • pathnew2.png
    pathnew2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,040
Last edited:
Level 36
I'd say you use <too many> doodads, and bad choices of them. Don't use those pointy icecrown rocks just for the kind of rocks you would see lying around on the ground, use them for caves and such, and stick with the regular snowy rocks for forests (try sizing them up, burying them in the ground and stacking them on top of each other for more variations)

Level 3
Taking the above advice I cleared off some doodads, mostly trees and mushrooms and I'm presenting the screens. In the background there is some new terrain I just made anyway.

Comments about the grass, does it fit, needs to be removed/changed?

Attachments

• cleared.png
    cleared.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
  • cleared2.png
    cleared2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 161
Level 36
I like it but you could use more small rocks around it. Also maybe you could use a different grass model... something more shrublike and dry and gray/brown. Also maybe try using the sky Fogged Sky rather than what you have now, it will transition better with the distance fog.

Level 3
I tried a few things and took screens of them. I personally believe that in such an icy landscape no plants could survive, but it's essential for the natural looking of things. So I tried to fit the colour of grass to the icy climate making it brownish with some paint of blue.

1st) Same like previous screenshots, but plants are smaller and more brown coloured.
2nd) Using Grass Animated from UTM (was the only brownish I found)
3rd) Same as 2nd from different angle

Attachments

• oldmodel.png
    oldmodel.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • newmodel.png
    newmodel.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
  • newmodel2.png
    newmodel2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 159
Level 3
The new grass, although it's green like tropic grass, looks good as a model and is making a little difference to the scenery. But when I looked at it with the normal game camera, it was not looking very good due to the shape of it.

In order to fix this problem, I'll have to plant at least 3 times the grass on a place so that it doesn't look abnormal. The question is if the performance issue that will be caused due to the excesive doodad amount in the map (I've used 2000 doodads for this part of land and I've only built hardly 5% of the map's terrain) is worth to trade for some better looking grass.

Is the difference between the 2 grasses so big that it's worth to sacrifice performance planting 3 times the new grass doodads?

Attachments

• model.png
    model.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 164
  • model2.png
    model2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
  • problem.png
    problem.png
    869.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Status