• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

help with TimerStart function

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
im trying to make a mui spell that uses a timer. i came across this in the jass api:

JASS:
native TimerStart (timer whichTimer, real timeout, boolean periodic, code handlerFunc) returns nothing

im not too good with jass, and i dont understand the whole thing about handle functions. anyway, if i want to pass this function another function (say i want it to run function d as the code)

what do i need to do to get function d to run whenever the timer expires?

(how do i use this function properly?)

Level 2
im trying to make a mui spell that uses a timer. i came across this in the jass api:

JASS:
native TimerStart (timer whichTimer, real timeout, boolean periodic, code handlerFunc) returns nothing

im not too good with jass, and i dont understand the whole thing about handle functions. anyway, if i want to pass this function another function (say i want it to run function d as the code)

what do i need to do to get function d to run whenever the timer expires?

(how do i use this function properly?)

JASS:
function IRunWhenTheTimerExpires takes nothing returns nothing
debug call BJDebugMsg("Hello world.")
endfunction

function IStartTheTimer takes nothing returns nothing
local timer t = CreateTimer()

call TimerStart(t, 1, true, function IRunWhenTheTimerExpires)

endfunction

Level 3
does the IRunWhenTimerExpires function in the example above have to take and return nothing? or can i pass it a few variables.

also do these variables get reset every time> or do they stay as they are

Level 2
does the IRunWhenTimerExpires function in the example above have to take and return nothing? or can i pass it a few variables.

Timer callback functions can't take or return anything. There are alot of systems available for passing stuff to callbacks

Which variables are you talking about?

Haha, if they would be able to return something we do not have the problems with vJASS and the handle system. :p

Level 3
Timer callback functions can't take or return anything. There are alot of systems available for passing stuff to callbacks

Which variables are you talking about?

i was talking about the local variables created in the function.

and thanks for your help, i get it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.