• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

help with sf skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello everybody i was watching a live stream yesterday from dota 1 where a guy diemelison played sf and his sf had red skin and i was omfg i want that so i searched google the entire night then found out the skin was from here and i did all from what the guy wrote with world editor and import the skin and make right path etc but when i go in dota sf is still normal black :/ so i wonder what i do wrong since it dont work for me but it works for the other guy? pls help thanks alot regards coco

Level 7
Wietlol, I think you've misunderstood the OP. He doesn't want to use it in his own custom map, he wants it to affect the dota mod, aka he wants to mod the game files.

I believe we had a thread recently with a similar topic. I fail to find it, but perhaps someone else can point you in the right direction. Essentially what you want to do is modify the game files and replace the standard skin with the custom one. This will cause the model to have the other skin on all maps you play.

Level 2
yes exactly cos it looks so imba ingame rly makes it fun to play sf again :D
if someone can help me do it i will be so happy :D

Level 24
Sorry but I never played the original dota.
Is there any way how you can send scripts to the dota game when you start it?
If the original dota is just using customized wc3 maps, you can edit that map and put stuff in it that changes the localplayers view.
I dont know if that second thing is actually legal.

Level 2
hmm i dont think you can edit the map dota cos its encrypted or something not rly sure but there gotta be one wat to do it since the other guy had it :/

Level 7
Wietlol, the OP doesn't want to modify a specific map, but rather the game itself.

Coco: You'll want to use an mpq editor to edit, I believe, the War3.mpq file, find the texture file for the unit and replace it with the new one. Make sure you create a backup of the War3.mpq before changing anything in case you should accidentally break something. There is probably a guide on how to do this somewhere.

Level 24
As I said I don't know how dota is made, but if you can send scripts to it, it will be kinda obvious how he couldve done it.
But if you play dota by creating a custom game with a dota map (wc3/w3x file), you can edit (after decrypting) and change all visual effects for the localplayer (you)
You cannot change data effects though. So for the ones that want to cheat that way :p

Level 2
and how do i replace it ? i tried with world editor to import it but somehow that doesnt work s: is there any other ways to import the bpl file into the textures in my war3 mpq?

Level 2
now i replaced the original sf "firelord" skin with the red one in textures with mpq master but when i go in dota sf is still just black s: either im semi retarded or im doing something wrong :D

Level 11
Sounds like the path to the texture is wrong and the model cant find it.
I haven't ever tried importing a texture by changing the mpq though.

Are you setting the texture path of your skin to the same path as the old skin? For example: Textures\NeutralPassive\Firelord.blp (or something like that) because the MDX file looks for that texture if I'm not mistaken.

Level 2
well i opened war3patch.mpq and then went to textures and replaced heroavatarflame.bpl with the red skin "i ofc changed the name of the red skin to heroavatarflame.bpl" and added it into the textures in war3patch.mpq but somehow its still black in dota althought when i click on the model in units/creeps its shows on the model that the skin is added but in dota itself its still black s:

Ps. it seems ingame that when i get hit by drows frost arrows it shows the red skin underneath the black skin also when the neutral banshee hit me with frost thing it also shows the red skin so i guess i have to tint the black color away? but is that inside the dota map or what? cos in WE firelord is already at 255 in all so i wonder where i have to tint the colors

Last edited:
Level 11
If you can open the map in WE then the easiest thing to do is just import that texture and then changing the path to Textures\HeroAvatarFlame.blp. Once imported The Firelord model will use that texture instead.

Much easier than editing the MPQ. You could restore the old MPQ and give that a shot.

In theory though, that should have worked.

Level 2
you cant open dota maps in WE cos they are protected and encrypted but i wonder if icefrog tinted the sf color to 0 0 0 in the dota map? but then theres 1 thing i cant figure out it is how did that guy in the live stream manage to change his sf model in dota? maybe im just noob and dont get it dunno :D

Level 11
Ah, ok, I get what you are saying now. Yes, if he set the model to 0 0 0 then I'm not sure what else you can do.

EDIT
I have another idea that may work.
You could try to replace the MDX file in the MPQ. You can open the firelord model in a model editor.

Replace the standard texture that the firelord model uses with your texture. Save the model and then replace the firelord.mdx in your MPQ with the one you just created.

Again, not sure if that'll work or not..

Level 2
still black sf :/

edit: i saw on youtube 2-3 years ago alot of people made models for sf in dota and used them so although he is tinted to full black there has to be a way to make the skins work ingame the question is just how s:

Last edited:
Level 2
its this skin im trying to use

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/skins-552/zl_dota_shadowfiend-blp-172371/

edit: here you can see when banshee attack me with the frost thing you can see the red skin underneath the black skin so it seems like it did load the skin the tint 0 0 0 just somehow overwrite it s:

WC3_Scrn_Shot_011915_220804_01.jpg

Last edited:
Level 2
hmm there must be some way to do it cos that guy in live stream had it on during entire game without getting hit by frost attack s: do you know anyone who might know how to do it? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.