• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help with Modelling this Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello Hievers! I just finished my worgen and forsaken map which i will be uploading as soon as i finish making some custom spells and i diverted into making back my Draenei map the Exodar Ones and i have this Draenei Rangari made by Ganondorf as you can see in my screenshots here:
jvQ0cda.jpg

The cape as we famously known is bugged but not in the back (the people here in hive already fixed it for me)but inside of the back of the cape if you can understand there in my screenshot and i already edited it in my Magos Model Editor right here:
8L7VSNQ.jpg

I have made the material of its cape twosided so that bothe the outside and inside of the cape has a team color and i already looked it up here too in retera:
6vCBvJZ.jpg

And i think you will know the difference between the first and this screenshot the inside of the cape now looks like the outside of it as well because i already edited it to twosided back in Magos but as my problem it doesn't show up in the world editor as you can see in my first screenie thats what happened which is quiet wierd because it shows up completely fine in both magos and retera so does anyone know how to fix this bug?

Level 9
The filter mode should probably be Transparent rather than Blend.

You don't show the first layer though.

Easiest thing is to look at an existing model, i.e. the original Sylvanas.
If i change it to transparent i would only make it more bugged and the first layer is a replaceable id 1 it has no filters and flags

Level 9
sorry for the long response but here it is the model so can someone pls help me fix this? or someone is kind enough to send me a new and improved skin of it i would be happy to have it.

Attachments

• 12NewShandris.mdx
    144.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DraeneiArcher.blp
    83.5 KB · Views: 33
Level 29
Oh, I thought from the screenshot that the cloak blends away, but it's actually grey.
I looked at the Sylvanas and Shandris models, and they also have the same issue.
It looks like the game does something weird with the texture coordinates for the other side of a double-sided material? Or some weird combination that all of these models have?

Looking at the NE Archer, it shows the diffuse but not the team color on the backside.
Looking at the NE campaign Runner, its small cloak works correctly on both sides.
Also the Death Knight's cloak works correctly on both sides.
I don't have the game files right now though to look at them.

Last edited:
Level 9
Oh, I thought from the screenshot that the cloak blends away, but it's actually grey.
I looked at the Sylvanas and Shandris models, and they also have the same issue.
It looks like the game does something weird with the texture coordinates for the other side of a double-sided material? Or some weird combination that all of these models have?
Well the night elf archer has a different cape if you have notice instead of just a bland bugged like color of the back of the cape it seems like it got some wierd symbols and color but fits quite well with the archer what makes the night elf archer cape different from the sylvanas and shrandris cape?

Level 20

Looking at the NE Archer, it shows the diffuse but not the team color on the backside.
Looking at the NE campaign Runner, its small cloak works correctly on both sides.
Also the Death Knight's cloak works correctly on both sides.
I don't have the game files right now though to look at them.
The Sylvanas/Shandris cape are two one-sided objects, one for the outside cape and one for the inside. Setting the materials to TwoSided in this case would make it ineffective because the other side will be blocked from view by the other object (that is, the outside cape will be blocked by the inside cape and vice versa).

Last edited:
Level 9
The Sylvanas/Shandris cape are two one-sided objects, one for the outside cape and one for the inside. Setting the materials to TwoSided in this case would make it ineffective because the other side will be blocked from view by the other object (that is, the outside cape will be blocked by the inside cape and vice versa).
So is there like no solution to my problem?

Level 20
So is there like no solution to my problem?
I wouldn't say that. If you can remove the inside cape object that would solve everything.

The inside cape is part of Geoset 1 while the team color cape is Geoset 2. The tricky part is deleting the cape without accidentally deleting parts of the elf, too.

ED: actually considering how the Material is set up, changing the UVs of the inside cape to a transparent part would work just the same for you. Currently it's part of the boot texture.

ED2: did what I described in ED1. Did it blind without the skin so I'm assuming it's got transparencies in the usual spots (I put them in the upper right corner where the bow sphere is)

ED3: duh, the skin was part of the same post as the model.

Attachments

• 12NewShandris_altered.mdx
    144.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Level 9
I wouldn't say that. If you can remove the inside cape object that would solve everything.

The inside cape is part of Geoset 1 while the team color cape is Geoset 2. The tricky part is deleting the cape without accidentally deleting parts of the elf, too.

ED: actually considering how the Material is set up, changing the UVs of the inside cape to a transparent part would work just the same for you. Currently it's part of the boot texture.

ED2: did what I described in ED1. Did it blind without the skin so I'm assuming it's got transparencies in the usual spots (I put them in the upper right corner where the bow sphere is)

ED3: duh, the skin was part of the same post as the model.
Thank you so much dude! You have my thanks!

Level 29
Ah, didn't have access to the models to check what they use.
Weird that they'd pick two one sided meshes for some models, but this is Blizzard :p
Nice job.

With that being said, I am not sure now why this model renders differently on 3rd party tools and the game.

Last edited:
Level 20
Ah, didn't have access to the models to check what they use.
Weird that they'd pick two one sided meshes for some models, but this is Blizzard :p
Nice job.

With that being said, I am not sure now why this model renders differently on 3rd party tools and the game.
It's hard to say at this point which model was developed first (the Hero Ranger unit which Sylvanas/Shandris was based off of most likely was made first since all the Archer units refer to that texture), but since one was a Hero they had to have made the conscious decision to make the team color show on just one side.

As for the second thing, I wonder if it's because they're occupying the same physical space and one of them just 'wins rendering priority' just by being the next Geoset down (and the game itself actually treats the first Geoset as higher). The cape thing is one of the only few examples of this happening so this normally isn't an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.