• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help with model editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm trying to make a custom footman model using 3ds max 2011.

Here is what I've done so far:

1. -- Extracted footman .mdx and .blp files from warcraft 3 mpq.

2. -- Booted up 3ds max and imported the footman model using sc2mapsters mdx import/export plug-in.

3. -- Converted the mesh to editable poly and made desired edits (so far only edited the mesh, not the animations).

4. -- Selected the entire model, mesh and bones and all, and attempted to export as .mdx using the same plug-in as previously mentioned. Here is where I ran into trouble... I hope someone will be able to help me with this...

The first time I tried to export the .max file as .mdx, an error came up saying the skins needed to be 'tv' mapped (that isn't exactly what it said, but something like that). I'm fairly certain that 'tv' means t-vertex, but I have no idea what that is. I tried exporting the model again, but this time came up with a different error, namely: '--Runtime error: Mesh vertex index out of range: 1'. Anybody know the meaning of this and how I can get around it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I also want to import the priest and use his cape and associated anims (probably walk and stand anims) for this custom footman. How is that done? Is it as simple as importing the mesh, cutting away everything but the cape and associated bones, attaching it to the custom footman... and then what? How do you get the priest's anims to be integrated with the custom footman's?

If you need additional information to help me with this problem, I'll happily provide.

Thanks (in advance)!!

Last edited:
Level 4
Ok, I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

EDIT / UPDATE:

I tried your suggestion and converted the model to editable mesh but came up with the an error stating that 'Mesh has no TV faces!'

So at the moment I'm very stumped. If you need more details I'll be happy to provide!

Level 4
Thanks again man, I'll try it out.

EDIT / UPDATE:

The tool looks like it works but it isn't what I need. It only deals with animations, as far as I can tell.

Do you know what tv faces are and how to set them up in 3ds max?

Last edited:
Level 4
Neodex doesn't export the model itself. I tried selecting everything (bones and hidden objects) and I tried just selecting the footman's torso and exporting that but neither attempt was successful because the error 'mesh has no tv faces' popped up.

I'm looking into another approach right now...

EDIT / UPDATE:

Using sc2mapster's exporter, I was able to export individual mesh objects (such as the footman's head, sword, cantine, sword hilt, decay bones, and team-color areas) but when I attempted to export the main footman body it came up with this error: '--Unable to convert: undefined to type: Integer.'

Any ideas about that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.