• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Help with ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Greetings all,

I would like to know how to make a custom attack that releases a pair of missiles at either side of the caster the moment a hostile unit comes within range... or whenever the attack button is clicked...

I already configured the missile movers. What I do not know is how to launch the missiles.... Currently I am having success launching them using an effect-instant, but I would prefer not to be doing it that way.

Here is my hypothesis about how it might work (but I am doubtful this method will work):

FIRST the unit detects nearby enemies
SECOND the unit attacks
THIRD how the attack works is that a null, dummy effect is triggered, dealing no damage and showing no visuals
FOURTH in response to this 'dummy attack' an effect is somehow triggered at the location of the caster (not sure how to do this)
FIFTH what happens next is that a persistent effect triggers a launch missile effect for each missile (one left and one right of the caster)
SIXTH currently I already have everything else functioning properly (the missiles move out and away from the caster in a spiral and deal damage as they pass 'through' units, and then disappear after reaching a certain point)

The reason why I want this to be an attack-type ability (as opposed to effect-instant or effect-target) is because it has to be able to respond to an attack-speed buff (e.g. caster gets buff, therefore caster launches missile's faster) and also to damage buffs (e.g. caster gets damage buff, therefore each missile deals more damage).

I should also add that the missiles do not actually move toward the target of the attack whatsoever. The target is completely irrelevant. If possible, it would be great if the attack did not need to have a target at all (perhaps just un-checking 'send to selection' in the ability command field would work?)

I may update here with more information as I conduct tests. Any help/suggestions/ideas will be more than welcome! Even just pointing me in the direction of an ability that functions like the one I've mentioned, or even showing me tutorials relating to the content matter would be great! Many thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.