• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Adding missiles to 330mm Barrage Cannons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
When Thor uses the 330mm Barrage Cannon ability a cannon is deployed on his back which shoots at the target.

I try to make a regular weapon for Thor that works like siege weapons did in TFT. (You could target both enemy units and the ground!)

Every time he attacks he uses the cannon on his back. He shoots missiles that rain down on the enemy, just like Mortar Teams from TFT launched missiles that rained down on the enemy. The missiles deal damage upon impact.

How can this be done?

Last edited:
Level 10
Do you want actual projectiles or just some data manager set up thing where it projects to a spot and passes through anything on its way to the spot and blows up when it reaches its destination?

I will keep it as simple as possible. It deal splash damage when it reaches it´s target. No matther if the target is an enemy unit or the ground. Just like a siege weapon.

Thor A-moves. He comes within range of an enemy unit. Thor deploys his cannon, launches 6 missiles at the enemy. (Just like a Viking launches 6 shots at a time.) The enemy moves away. The missiles hit the ground and deals damage to... no one. The weapon has a 8 seconds cooldown. Next time Thor targets the ground with his attack. He launches 6 missiles etc..

Last edited:
I will keep it as simple as possible.

Just like Mortar Teams in TFT could choose to target an enemy unit or even the ground (!) with their shots, I try to make the same for the Thor. The missiles Thor shoots from the cannon on his back deals damage upon impact with the ground or enemy air/ground unit.

(If you look at the 330mm ability, Thor uses a cannon mounted on his back to fire a volley of shots. Right now the spell deals instant damage. I try to make it launch missiles instead. Plus that he shall use it as an ordinary attack that can target BOTH individual units plus an area on the ground/air. So it does not have to be an ability at all, just an ordinary attack.)

Well, this does not sound so hard? I know, but my attempts to make this gets really messed up. But I imagine it is possible to do in the data editor.

All suggestions and guidance on how this can be done is welcome!

Thor A-moves. He comes within range of an enemy unit. Thor deploys his cannon, launches 6 missiles at the enemy. (Just like a Viking launches 6 shots at a time.) The enemy moves away. The missiles hit the ground and deals damage to... no one. The weapon has a 8 seconds cooldown. Next time Thor targets the ground with his attack. He launches 6 missiles etc..

Well I'd give you my physics system to this with but it's not 100% done yet and I'm having a hard time finding good advice on how to make the last bits of it. D: It already does what you want though...

Level 10
Well I'd give you my physics system to this with but it's not 100% done yet and I'm having a hard time finding good advice on how to make the last bits of it. D: It already does what you want though...

Thank you, but this most be able to make in the data editor?

Things I have problems with:

- Make an attack for Thor that uses the 330mm animation and launches missiles from the pipes of his cannon.
- Remake the ability siege weapons in TFT used to target the ground.
- Make the missiles fly in a nice angle and deal damage upon impact. (Not before impact!)
- Make this attack work vs both ground and air units.

The mechanics of it most work but also I try to make it look good... T_T

Last edited:
Level 5
For making it fly in an angle, in your missile launching effect, change impact location - value to target point...couldnt find the 330mm model so for now chose some missile as ammo...
Create a missile mover, copy the Motion Phases + from reaper jump up...disable parabola upright...
Add this mover in missile launch effect in Missile Movers - Link...

Create a Search Area effect and add the damage effect to it...add the search area effect to missile launching effect in Effect -Impact Effect...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
- Make the missiles fly in a nice angle and deal damage upon impact. (Not before impact!)
Missle effect with appropiate mover.

- Make this attack work vs both ground and air units.
It is illogical for an attack that targets ground to suddenly hit air units. Unless you are refering to the splash hits air units above the ground it hits in which case you just change the filters in the search area effect that produces the damage effects on missle impact.

what i think he wants is, a missile half way through its path is at a certain height, so it cant hit units under it, but a 2D search would return that unit also...thats what i meant by 3D search...is it possible in data editor???

Try out my physics simulation you can throw balls over and under flying units. I believe that my search area for the collision is cylindrical btw. Really it should be a sphere but a cylinder is close enough and faster.

Level 10
Nevermind the attack dealing damage to both air and ground. I will stick with ground damage only.

I have one thing that is weird. The missile don´t want to explode upon impact with the ground. It follows the target until it reaches it and it looks really strange.

I want players to be able to target enemy units with the attack, but if the enemy moves, the missile strikes at the ground.

Just like a mortar team!

Any way to correct this?

Level 10
Siege weapons in WC3 could target to attack the ground. I can´t get it to work in Sc2! :(((

Some kind of ability that targets the ground and the unit will attack that targeted area.

Any ideas how to make it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.