• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help me about a .bat script...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I'm trying to edit "HOSTS" file in Windows that is located at C:/Windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts using a .bat script for convenience, because when you enter any domain there, it will be blocked...

I already searched Google but can't barely understand, maybe someone can help me to create a script for that and a few guides... Your help will be appreciated...

BTW, I want to block the domain "BOX.ANCHORFREE.NET"...

Level 11
If you run into any problems when executing Ironside's script, try executing it with administrative privileges.

Level 9
This should do it.

Code:
echo 127.0.0.1 BOX.ANCHORFREE.NET >> C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

After I executed the .bat file, it seems that the HOSTS file remain that way? :vw_wtf:

hostss.png

Level 9
You might need administrative privileges to be able to write to \hosts.
Also, you have misspelled the ">>" as ">", which will try to replace the content with "127.0.0.1 BOX.ANCHORFREE.NET"

That much from your picture, that silly circle might be blocking the other ">" however.

I've blocked the other ">" by the red circle.... :vw_death:

Anyway, I have the administrative privileges when I execute the script, but still, nothing happens... :(

Level 14
Why not manually type it in the host file?

127.0.0.1 BOX.ANCHORFREE.NET

Just make sure you have write access to the file...

Level 11
When I said "execute it with administrative privileges", I meant right-click -> Run as Administrator, not that the current user should have administrative privileges.

Level 14
Hmmm....

You're doing this in your batch file:

Code:
echo 127.0.0.1 BOX.ANCHORFREE.NET -> C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

but shouldn't this be:

Code:

A single > will overwrite the text file, a >> will append to an existing file. Where did you read to use ->?

Level 9
Hmmm....

You're doing this in your batch file:

Code:
echo 127.0.0.1 BOX.ANCHORFREE.NET -> C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

but shouldn't this be:

Code:

A single > will overwrite the text file, a >> will append to an existing file. Where did you read to use ->?

No! That's exactly what I copied, I think I've messed up my screenshot... :vw_death:

hosts2.png

Level 14
Then if you have full permissions and read/write access, try turning off kaspersky for a while and then run the .bat file.
See if that works.
If it doesn't change then it gets blocked, and this would either be by another third party, or by administrative priviliges, or by not having propper access to the file.
So it should be one of these things causing it not to add the extra line.

You have already checked the property's of the file to see if you have read/write access and to see if you have administrative priviliges?
Then turn off kaspersky and run the .bat again. See if that helps.

If it still doesn't, download process explorer and check which process is attached to the file causing it not to be writeable.

Level 9
Then if you have full permissions and read/write access, try turning off kaspersky for a while and then run the .bat file.
See if that works.
If it doesn't change then it gets blocked, and this would either be by another third party, or by administrative priviliges, or by not having propper access to the file.
So it should be one of these things causing it not to add the extra line.

You have already checked the property's of the file to see if you have read/write access and to see if you have administrative priviliges?
Then turn off kaspersky and run the .bat again. See if that helps.

If it still doesn't, download process explorer and check which process is attached to the file causing it not to be writeable.

Thank you, Kaspersky is blocking the attempt in modifying the system file... :grin:

Thanks also for everyone in helping me! God bless you all! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.