• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[HELP] A Very Unique Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello,

I'm new to the editor, but this ability is unique and I can't find any similar tutorials on making this.

My idea is this: [[http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=345093|]]

Visual:
-The tank launches a smoke missile type object that looks and works like the EMP from Broodwar
-Once it impacts, it creates a line of sight blocking smoke
-lasts 15s, on 30s cooldown
-The cursor shows the shape of the line it should be 1x4 (equal to appx. 4 doodads of LOS blocker Space Platform)
-Once the missile impacts, smoke should be instantaneously spawned

Sound:
-Should sound like a soft missile launch (Marauder grenade or Ghost SC2 EMP)

Effect:
-Once the missile impacts it should spawn a line of smoke (or as a placeholder, spawn a temporary line of LOS blocking doodads from Space Platform
-It works like any regular LOS blocker. Obscures direct vision.
-Multiple Shells may be launched to form different shapes
-The angle of the line should be 90 degress (or perpendicular) to the launch direction. For example, ----> |

If you would like to read more about the details, please refer to the Teamliquid thread.

Does any Data experts want to tackle this? Credit will be given where it is due. Please help me code this. I believe this would be a new and exciting ability that may be used in HOTS if it proves to be fun, interesting and effective.

Thanks

Though the ability will probably be difficult and long, all I can really suggest is you experiment.

Experimentation is the basis to humanity.

Just try to keep this in mind;

Each step of the ability needs to be fine tuned.

Start with something like this:

A dummy unit (the missile) is what is launched, once the dummy unit reaches it's destination it is destroyed. When [x] dummy unit is destroyed, create [y] dummy unit (smoke screen) and apply line of sight breaker that lasts for [z] seconds.

Use Rui's links if you don't know where to get a strong fix on how to start doing such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.