• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Help a noob out, would ya?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Ok, first time trying to get a model into warcraft, so i just created a simple biped composed of four cylinders, two for each leg, attached to a sphere, and bones. I have 3ds8 so I can't use Art Tools. :( After some searching, I found a pair of scripts, one for import/export and one for just export. The "impexpmdx.mse" one and the dex186 one.
Using the first script, the import/export one, it says the index must be smaller than the rollout stack or something and does nothing... -.-
The second script gives me a "too many vertices" error when it got up to the "head" bone. So I deleted it and it worked. :p Well, by worked, I mean compiled. Unfortunately, the model no longer animated in the x direction (forward/backward) and it just swung side to side... What's worse, after using the mdl/mdx converter and importing it into WE, there WAS no model... it just made that green checkered cube. It does, however, work, to an extent, in W3Viewer. Though it's really messed up, with meshes flying out of place, and once again, no x movement.
Now I know I'm probably a noob who did something wrong somewhere, but just help me out, ok?
If you'd like to see the original (max) model, I can attach it, once I figure out how exactly to do that. :p

Oh yeah, and DeadDogNoGoWoof is an angry angry man.

Level 2
I KNOW how to work 3DS, and it comes with some great tutorials of its own. What I'm having problems with is modelling for war3, and converting to/from mdx files. Now, somebody help me! :p

Level 9
I had the same problem as you did. First, remember not to set the poly thingy in the standard perimitive to high (eg. sphere with 32 segs). Second, remember to convert every object into an 'editable mesh', nothing else will work. Third, dont use the colorful pre-built biped (if you did), just use regular grey bones. And last, NEVER use the rotation tool, make extra bones on the ends of every limb(it actualy does that automatically), and some sticking out randomly (like out of the chest and head) and move them via the regular move tool to make the bone they're linked to move. Dont select the extra bones when you export, and use the Dex script (I actually have v. 0.185m but it should work)
Hope this helps :D
And no, its not too noobish of a question.

Level 2
argh, I hate warcraft so much now... I managed to get the model exported and converted just fine, but then whenever I try to import it into WE and use it, it for some reason changes to mdl... and then complain about not being able to find the bloody mdl... So, I imported my model, cylinder.mdx into WE, then went to object editor and selected the footman, and changed his model file to the imported one. Soon as I click ok, in the object editor it says "cylinder.mdl" and no matter how many times I try, it keeps becoming mdl... someone at blizzard is gonna die... :evil:

Level 2
oh... -.- accursed WE... So it should say the "could not load cylinder.mdl" thing? And not recognise my animations?
Oh, I goota reload the map and then it works. Thanks all that helped me. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.