• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Noob Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently found out that you can make Wc3 models with Gmax, so I would like to get into this. I have been following tutorials and getting familiar with the environment but I have a few questions that I can not find the answers to.
I have found how to export models with an exporting script, and where to specify your animations and such. But I am not sure what to do about textures.
Gmax can not recognize .blp so I use .tga But when I am exporting this how do I tell it to look for a .blp and not a .tga?
Does it do this automatically?
In some models there are very specific textures that are used to skin the model. How do I tell Gmax where these skins are in the wc3 mpq and still have them display on Gmax so I can properly UVW map them? I was looking through the tutorials on this but they all seem to have dodged around it.
I could understand if the exporting script told the mdx where the textures are but I did not find anywhere to specify texture locations so they are usable by the game.

Level 13
I am using Gmax myself, and I'll tell you how I'm doing it.

On Gmax, I do the unwrap using tga files. However, the texture doesn't STAY on the model when I export it. And that's perfectly normal (since it's a warcraft model what would it do with tga anyways?). The point where the BLP textures really go on the model is when I edit it on Notepad.

Basically when you open your mdl model in notepad the default setting for the textures and materials is to show your model in team color. In order for it to use the BLP textures you want it to use, you have to edit the text.

Behold:

Textures 2 {
Bitmap {
Image "(your blp texture with correct path, like: Buildings\Human\TownHall\TownHallCastleKeep.blp",
}
Bitmap {
Image "",
ReplaceableId 1,
}
Materials 2 {
Material {
Layer {
FilterMode None,
static TextureID 0,
}
}
Material {
Layer {
FilterMode None,
static TextureID 1,
}
}
}

If you have the right paths for the textures, it will find them ingame with no problem.
Hope that helps, ask if you have any doubts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.