• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Helms Deep 2015 v1.6

----v1.6----

The Battle of Helms Deep 2015
Created by Hebert09

Map Info:

Welcome to Hebert09's version of Helms Deep. The battle is laid out and it is up to you to decide the fate of Middle Earth. Will Helms Deep fall to ruin?
Or will the peoples of Middle Earth unite once more?

232654-albums6828-picture101241.jpg

This map has been built from scratch along with the help and advice of others mentioned in the credits list. The ENTIRE fortress is built with 100% custom Doodads and Units. Most of the helms deep models were done by myself, trying to ensure that every last detail is displayed in this map. Features custom Mods, music, icons and much more from LOTR. Including all new banners and animations to give the map a realistic feel. Watch the deeping wall get blown to pieces then fight among the rubble! Uruk players have 30 minutes to try and break the gates to the women and children before Gandalf arrives. The defenses have to hold for that long for the defending players to win. Setting game to Siege Mode will enable an orc AI, please set the uruk players to computer if this is the intended game mode for the best game experience.

Screenshots:

Image Description:
Helms Deep Front Gate and new large siege ladders (Walkable).

232654-albums6828-picture101352.jpg

Image Description:
A look at the Keep entrance.

232654-albums6828-picture101260.jpg

Image Description:
A look from the deeping wall.

232654-albums6828-picture100701.jpg

Image Description:
New drain and stairs on the Deeping Wall.

232654-albums6828-picture100706.jpg

Image Description:
A view of the whole map.

232654-albums6828-picture100702.jpg

For More Terrain Screenshots Visit: Helms Deep Terrain Pics

Image Description:
New kick down ladder function!

232654-albums6829-picture101646.jpg

Image Description:
Defending the new Side Entrance with Legolas.

232654-albums6829-picture100699.jpg

Image Description:
A breached front gate!

232654-albums6829-picture100696.jpg

Image Description:
In defence of the Keep!

232654-albums6829-picture100700.jpg

For More Gameplay Screenshots Visit: Helms Deep Gameplay Pics

Updates:

Version 1.0 - This update was a long time in process. Almost every aspect of the map got changed, from rivers to walls to custom Helms Deep Models that i have been working on for months now. I would write a full changelog but it would be really long. Gameplay changes have been made, new HQ soundtrack from Rohan and The Two Towers. New items are in the shops as well as the ability to train units with war medallions earned throughout the game. The deeping wall is almost 1 solid piece, with its proper bend and pathing. Stairs now line the walls just like the movie version. Cliff faces have replaced the old system to increase the mountain effect. Over 8 months of changes are in this update alone, and i really hope that you all enjoy it.

Version 1.1 - Changed an icon to make the map playable online and under the 8mb limit. Barely haha.

Version 1.2 - In this update i tried to bring Helms Deep to life. Adding new Rohan and Uruk banners, new explosion and bridge breaking animations, and a whole lot more. The Deeping Wall now explodes into pieces and you get to fight among the rubble! I went over each and every model to correct lighting and lag issues. Many textures have been fixed as well! A lot of work went into fixing bugs as well. Decided to limit the AI to 1 strong ram which continues to attack the gate even if you open the gate. Fixed a couple pathing issues, mostly in keep. Units got rebalanced and their colliders where adjusted. (raider and pike still low due to AI). Changing views got easier as there will be no more need for typing. Now you can select your View Changer and easily pick between the views. And for added quickness you can type v into the chat to select the view changer instantly! Triggers were also cleaned up a bit to help fps. I noticed after all the changes i made to the map the fps seemed to be running smoother. There's a bunch more that was changed but most wont be too noticeable. I really hope you all enjoy this update.

Version 1.3 - This update is a first attempt at optimizing the game and getting fps up. This means a little less uruks will be spawned at one time. The main problem was that crossbowmen, wargs, trolls, and banner carriers didnt have a spawn limit. This was fixed which will now give the map a steady flow of uruks instead of being overwhelmed. The fps seemed to go up as well. Couple other small changes were made to balance, less uruks=more points per kill. You now get 2 war medallions per kill. Other small tweaks and adjustments were made to the balance of the units as well.

Version 1.4 - Attempt Number 2 at optimizing the game. I remade the small ladder to look like a Uruk Ladder. A large siege tower which is walkable was also modeled for the game. No more large siege tower transports on the keep! Defend chockepoints on the ladders instead of units automatically moving onto your wall. With these i added invisible ramps the right size/shape/angle as the ladders to optimize the walkability on the ladders as well as make it so the units no longer fall through the gaps in the ladders. All the stairs were given these sample optimized invisible ramps to increase frames and make it so the units smoothly go up and down the stairs :) Changes were also made to some abilities, heroes max lvl is now 11 and every hero has the same number of abilities. With this came proper icon positioning for them. Uruks have been balanced and many other bugs/errors have been removed along with uneeded scripts/things in the game. Overall i feel performance is finally where it should be on this one. Other small tweaks and changes have been made as well but ill keep those a surprise.

Version 1.6 -
-Added second stand animations to all banners and front gate boards. They should no longer blow at the same time all the time.
-Changed the Gimli skin to more accurately portray Gimli.
-New Unit : Sindar Spearman. This unit has become the official tank of the elves. Has a passive ability that has a chance to deflect 15 incoming damage. Spearmen really help in making your Deeping Wall defence last longer.
-New icons for some abilities and corrected passive or active icons. Each icon should now display the correct button, being that the spell is passive or active.
-New hotkeys. QWER are now the default hotkeys for each heroes spells. Fixed some unit hotkeys and selection positions as well. Each spell will have its hotkey in (), for each tooltip.
-Improved Tooltips: Each tooltip is now color coded to begin with, Active/healing spells being in green, passive spells in light blue, and damaging spells will be displayed in red. Your max level spell will be displayed in Gold. Each tooltip has been fixed to give you more precise information and made easier to read by bolding what the spells do. A lot of errors got worked out of them as well to properly display accurate stats of the ability.
-First itteration of improving spells. Each hero should now have one spell which does a little more than wc3 default. For example, Gimli's throw axe will now leach 500 damage and squirt blood out of the hit opponent. Theoden's wrath slam will now reduce the armor of hit units by 30% etc. With this came some new special effects and imported aura's. The spells should look and feel different from before. Cooldowns have also been reduced slightly due to demand. A lot of balancing the spells and much more was done as well.
-Unit balancing: Uruks and heroes now have less health. Uruks should now spawn a bit faster, also some AI lanes where adjusted to even out gameplay and decrease lag in some spots. Damages have also been adjusted slightly along with ranges of the rohan units.
-Fixed costs of units and items in the keep.
-Fixed timer not starting at 30 mins.
-Many more changes on the back end went into this update that should make the game better than ever before. I really hope you all enjoy this update and keep the feedback coming. Thank you all.

Credits:

-All the beautiful Uruk-Hai, Gondorian Tower and Sindar Elf models are Credited To: Fingolfin
-Legolas/Haldir model Credited To: Pike
-Rohan Militia and Rohirrim Skins and buttons Credited To: CloudWolf
-Aragorn model Credited To: Shadow-Scythe-R
-Plate with Meat Model Credited To:!!GORO!!
-Front Gate Housing Model Credited To: Rondo
-Spearman model Credited To: Wandering Soul
-Barricade Model Credited To: AlienAtSystem
-Cave Troll model Credited To: [texture by Just_Spectating] karland90
-Keep Wall and Archway model Credited To: Misha
-Shop Model Credited To: Storm_PCF
-Tower Model Credited To: !!GORO!!
-Guardian Statue Model Credited To: Mc !
-Market Stand Model Credited To: Ribenamania
-Archway Model Credited To: olofmoleman
-Dark Elf Aura (the machwarden) Model and Button Credited To: Sellenisko
-Gamling (footman) Model Credited To: Levigeorge1617
-Footman Skin Credited To: antihero
-Dalaran Aura (SindarElf) Model Credited To: Sin'dorei3000
-Gimli Skin Credited To: Hueter
-Arrow model Credited To: Deolrin
-Leader of Men Aura (Blightwalker aura) Model Credited To: Mainy [War_Golum]
-Rohan Horse Banner Credited To: RickJacob @ rickjacob.deviantart.com
-Spear model Credited To: RusUndead
-King Theoden (king), Lightning, and Royal Stairs Model Credited To: Tranquil
-Hero Glow Model Credited To: assasin lord
-Copper Handled Sword model Credited To: eubz
-Encampment model Credited To: Kitabatake
-Mercenary Skin Credited To: Coinblin
-Battering Ram model Credited To: Mechanical Guy
-Gimlie's Axe (dwarvendoubleaxe) Button Credited To: ~Nightmare
-Legolas button Credited To: GhostThruster
-Theoden button Credited To: antihero
-Shield button Credited To: Kwah
-Uruk Raider (MagGrunt) button Credited To: FrIkY
-Uruk Pikeman/raider, Cave Troll, Draw Bows/Lorien Bows, Royal Armor, and Leather Armor button Credited To: NFWar
-Uruk Crossbowman and Multiple Shot button Credited To: Mr.Goblin
-Athelas and Horn button Credited To: palaslayer
-AxeSlam and Healing Touch (holybird) button Credited To: bigapple90
-Sindar Elv button Credited To: CreatorD3292
Leader of Men (holypower) Button Credited To: KelThuzad
-Spearman Icon Credited To: Lelling
-Multi-Shot button Credited To: Nugamentum
-Elven Eye button Credited To: 67chrome
-Words of Wisedome button Credited To: Praytic
-2nd Age Shield (NatureShield) Icon Credited To: Peekay
-King of Rohan button Credited To: KelThuzad
-King's Inspiration (holycall) button Credited To: Sin'dorei300
-Heir of Elendil (leadership) button Credited To: AbstractCreativity
-Captain of the Guard (royalcaptain) button Credited To: HappyTauren
-Throwing Axe Button Credited To: -Berz-
-Sindar Spearmean(BloodElf) Button Credited To: mc !
-Golden Crown button Credited To: Peekay
-Herugrim (godsword) button Credited To: PrinceofFame
-Ring of Barahir (reckoning) button Credited To: Gwen Stefani
-Royal Guard Armor (marinearmor) button Credited To: CRAZYRUSSIAN
-Evenstar (necklace) and Eye Medalion button Credited To: Static
-Galadriels Lock (elvenmaiden) button Credited To: Elenai
-Axe button Credited To: Blizzard Entertainment
-All other models, buttons, or skins created by me: Hebert09

Special Thanks to Wrathion for his contribution and help with the AI and triggers. Also to Fingolfin for his teachings along the way.

Models, Skins, and Icons Downloaded From: http://www.hiveworkshop.com

Author's notes:

A definite must try for any LOTR fan. A new and custom built Helms Deep featuring Siege Mode (Orc AI). Survive waves of relentless attacks by the Uruks until Gandalf arrives. Released 09/29/2015. Recently updated with a major update. Also available for host and download from MakeMeHost.com Enjoy :)

Thank you for your patience and being great fans!

Special Thanks to Mythic for his contribution and help with this map. I also want to send a special shout out to Fingolfin for all his hard work and hours put into the models on this map as well as excellent advice and teaching along the way. Without them NONE of this would have been possible.

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
LOTR, AI, lord of the rings, helms deep, rohan, helms, deep, battle of helms deep, hebert09, uruk, hai, rohirrim, sindar, Siege Mode, 2014, 2015.
Contents

Helms Deep 2015 v1.6 (Map)

Reviews
22:18, 19th Nov 2013 Orcnet: Map reviewed by SeedingAethyr:
Woah... Woah...!
The Terrain is good and this gotta be fun! :D
Oh! BTW... you must Optimized the file size!

Please edit your second post, copy it, then delete it, and paste the text from your second post into your first post so that you aren't wasting space with two posts in a row within a minute of each other.

It doesn't personally matter to me but a lot of people around here hate double posts so you should fix it and try to avoid double posting in the future; don't forget about the Edit button. If a significant amount of time has passed since your first post than a second post is understandable as people who already checked the thread may not be aware of an edit to the post, however there is no reason to post a second time within a minute of the first post.
__

Normally I would take the time to point out how you could improve this map, but there is so much wrong with it that I don't want to spend the next week typing a novel as I have little interest in this map at the moment and it isn't worth the effort. Continue to work on this map, and I'll check on it again some day. When the list of what's wrong with it is short enough to fit on a page, then I'll test it again and tell you what's left to improve.

This is basically a below-average map that makes use of a lot of great imported content.

If I rated it based on how it plays, I would give this a 2/5, but it looks pretty enough to bring that up to a 3/5.

This map needs work on every aspect. You didn't even fix unit collisions; mounted units all stack up into little balls, inside of each other.

This was massively disappointing.

Last edited:
Level 15
Ride forth sons of aeoer!!!!!!
EDIT: Did I do that wrong? XD
Anyways I am exceptionally pleased this map is here.
EDIT 2: There will be a third for a review of sorts.
EDIT 3: Here's my review:
As far as helm's deep games go, it's pretty darn accurate! I also found it amusing that middle earth artifacts somehow wound up in Hornburg.
Now because it seems like something the people should found out themselves I am going to leave artifacts mostly unmentioned. The only tiff I have is that the game LAGS something fierce in AI mode. All in all though it's likely not going to bother most people.

Last edited:
Level 10
This looks really awesome! I'll play it sometime later.

Thanks for sharing/uploading! God Bless!

- The intro cinematic.... may as well be left out. It's just the camera moving around in bad angles for a rather long duration.
- Proper icon positioning: If the skill you are about to learn is at the top left, then it should be at the bottom left when learned, etc.
- Better skill tooltips: Please do not use the standard tooltip layout that Blizzard has used. Use more colors, shorten the text and get to the point as to what the skill does and also try using QWER hotkeys.
- Use passive icons for passive abilities (legolas' multi-shot for example). Same thing applies to active skills
- The heroes have awfully boring skills (as well as skill effects) and the combat in general seems uninspired. Heroes with huge amount of HP and enemies that take eons to kill.
- Also the hero abilities seem to have year-long cooldowns.

Honestly just another carbon copy of the typical helms deep map, with nothing new. Neat terrain though, I guess.

Level 2
did you fix the keybinds ? the health of orcs are a bit high i must say. the cooldown of skills is too long. I'd rather have so-so abilities that i can cast every 10 or so seconds rather than a powerful spell i can cast every minute... and then auto-attack every rest of the time.

the healing item's costs too much (7 gold?) by the time i get 1-2 kills i usually need to heal, and that's focusing all archers + hero on 1 single enemy.

the defenders should have 1-3 different units, (rather than all being archers that can switch stance from range <-> melee vice versa). standard would be tank, dps, healer. make an item so heroes can heal these pawns (ex:healing salve, modified so it won't dispel on hit. or change the healing salve from item skill to unit skill and give it to healers)

did you change the keybinding and description highlight? remember the forbidden Attack, Stop, Move, Patrol, Hold (A,S,M,P,H). don't use it for skills. tried gimli and had to click each time.

add a spellbook unique to each heroes. add abilities like kick ladder, jump, wall rappel, climb wall, knock orcs off bridge, and most important... RUN (increase movespeed, use the potion of speed skill)

aragorn's ultimate should be locust swarm and change the locust model to ghosts (summon undead spirits). but lore wise it only came out on the third movie which is after the siege of helms deep.