• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hello Everybody! – reducing size of music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Does anyone know how can I import a music file into the world editor for a map,but without increasing the size of the map.Because i heard that it is possible,but still i dont know how to do it.:eekani:

Level 37
Does anyone know how can I import a music file into the world editor for a map,but without increasing the size of the map.

That's like saying you want to put infinite cereal into your bowl. It's going to eventually fill up the more stuff you put in. You can maybe reduce the file size of the music file, overall reducing the file size of your map. However, it is impossible to import anything without increasing the file size of your map.

Because i heard that it is possible,but still i dont know how to do it.:eekani:

Where did you hear this black magic?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You can increase lossy compression factors or decrease sample rate. Both decrease file size at the cost of music quality.

Do consider if you really need the music in the map or not. Chances are it will be better to use a few more custom assets and allow people to play their own music.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

That's like saying you want to put infinite cereal into your bowl. It's going to eventually fill up the more stuff you put in. You can maybe reduce the file size of the music file, overall reducing the file size of your map. However, it is impossible to import anything without increasing the file size of your map.

Where did you hear this black magic?

I heard some people saying that is possible

Level 16
You can only decrease the file size of the music. Download a program called Lamexp. You wont know what this means, but choose
Variable bit rate
Bit rate 64
Channels: Mono

This is probably the smallest file size you can achieve. Your song will still take up a bit of space. This "compression" will also reduce the quality of the file.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Which is basically what I said with increasing the lossy compression factor and reducing sampling rate.

Some formats like FLAC can compress in a lossless way but they compress so badly compared with lossy audio.

Additionally you can use the MPQ's built in wav compression which is lossy using some form of PWMC compression. The result is generally worse than MPEG based compression though but has its uses.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Maybe was told to import it into mpq file and then just use the path to the music file from mpq? Or something like that

Works but it was not what he stated.
Does anyone know how can I import a music file into the world editor for a map,but without increasing the size of the map.Because i heard that it is possible,but still i dont know how to do it.

You could distribute your music in a custom extension pack like I did in Gaias.

Basicly, as sounds and music are not synced, you can use if GetSoundFileDuration(path) > 0 then to find out if the external folder containing your music exists. If it does, play the music locally. If not, play a default.
Note that this requires local file support enabled, which is just a few clicks in windows, but nevertheless must be done before (once) by everyone that wants to use your external folder.

But I'll just say this here: Keep in mind that it is almost always illegal to put licenced music in your map.
There are some websites that distribute music and soundtracks under a creative commons licence, which you are allowed to freely share. Those are excluded.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
But I'll just say this here: Keep in mind that it is almost always illegal to put licenced music in your map.
Except if it comes from another Blizzard game. Although technically illegal Blizzard actively runs a do not care policy since they own the resources anyway so do not really care if some Diablo III music ends up used in Warcraft III or StarCraft II. They will never officially admit this, but they have hinted at in on many occasions.

Except if it comes from another Blizzard game. Although technically illegal Blizzard actively runs a do not care policy since they own the resources anyway so do not really care if some Diablo III music ends up used in Warcraft III or StarCraft II. They will never officially admit this, but they have hinted at in on many occasions.
I'm not sure if that applies to the music, as music is almost always distributed as commercial soundtracks aswell and subject to national regulations of rights management (for example, the GEMA in germany).

This is the reason why Youtube Let's Players sometimes have to disable the game music in order to be able to publish their videos (even if it is custom music written specifically for this game). Music works different than other art resources, especially since 99% of game soundtracks are contract work to begin with and never produced in-house.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
This is the reason why Youtube Let's Players sometimes have to disable the game music in order to be able to publish their videos (even if it is custom music written specifically for this game). Music works different than other art resources, especially since 99% of game soundtracks are contract work to begin with and never produced in-house.
That is mostly due to a mistake with the game publisher, some music scammers (claiming it is their music when it is not) and false positive detection. Additionally it usually does not apply to free videos, only ones with sponsored adverts.

Blizzard ports their music between games all the time. SC2 has the full SC1 sound track and all WC3 music in it. Heroes of the Storm received Diablo III music as well as SC2 LotV music. I am pretty much certain Blizzard owns their own music, specially since they founded several bands.

Additionally it usually does not apply to free videos, only ones with sponsored adverts.
... which basicly applies to 99% of LPers. ;)

Blizzard ports their music between games all the time. SC2 has the full SC1 sound track and all WC3 music in it. Heroes of the Storm received Diablo III music as well as SC2 LotV music. I am pretty much certain Blizzard owns their own music, specially since they founded several bands.
Possible, yes. I just wanted to point out the possibility that the "you can use blizz resources in all blizz games for blizz game mods" rule of thumb might specifically exclude music for the mentioned reasons.
We won't know for sure until it's written in blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.