• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Heavy bomber prototype

How would you rate this unit as a boss?

• 5/5

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • 4/5

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 3/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2/5

• 1/5

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I created a heavy bomber, which is designed to be a boss for an aerial battle in a campaign, I need some input regarding the unit, Ive attached a map with the bomber and several scores of enemies to try it on.

Additional notes
the bomber can target multiple air units, but only a single ground unit
the bomber can carry up to 8 units in its cargo hold (designed to carry fighter units)
the bomber has a modified phoenix fire ability that allows it to fly-by-bomb units below them without targeting them (the player cannot target which unit is bombed however)

Attachments

• Airship Test Map2.w3x
    73.4 KB · Views: 88
Level 10
Great work, this is going to be really good. Kind of reminds me of the black dream from wanders of sorceria, except a lot more OP (or as you would say Black Dream on steroids), l think you may wanna slow down the speed of the unit, and maybe decrease its hp, cause unless you have a base filled with aa the base is easily going to get destroyed by a bomber like that flying over.

Level 6
I thank everyone for their input.

The more developed version will have ~1200HP, but more armor, be bigger in size, its attacks will have a slow (~2.5s) cooldown but will be much stronger dealing anywhere from 75 to 100 damage per strike, a self repair ability or something of this nature may be added, other abilities might be added also, once again I thank everyone for their input, also additional input is welcome

Level 16
While you did a great job designing a proper aerial boss, there is one problem however:
How is the ai gonna be able to fight back one of these things if its so OP? I mean you fight ONE of these units as a boss and from how I understand Blake wanted it, you have your whole aerial fleet to beat it, how is the enemy (ai) gonna be able to counter one of these heading his way with a fleet of other air units?

Reactions: Rem
Level 6
@Siler
There are plenty of counters for this, for instance; since it has fortified armor giving any unit a siege-type anti air attack, various spells that do heavy damage to air units, surrounding the enemy bases with mid-air tornadoes who's aura only damage and slow down flying units, the list goes on, its not too hard to come up with counters to this thing, I think the bigger issue is making sure the player cannot spam them, so either they gotta cost like 12 or 15 or more food, or have a build-limit of like 1, 2 or 3 at most. Most likely a build-limit because Blake wants for the player to be allowed 150 or 200 food for certain (epic) battles.

Level 6
Yea, those bomber units are fun to play with, however as I've previously said we'll have to create some counter measures to make sure a few of these units can't just destroy everything in their path and win the mission with ease.

Rem

Rem

Level 7
So Apostle, does your almighty bomber have a name yet ??

Level 9
several things:
1. why is your starting location so close to two other bases?
2. are the ships really necassary?
3. spread the bases out otherwise it wont be easy
4. how many tilesets are you planning on using?

Rem

Rem

Level 7
@Razorfang
1 One of those bases does not have any means of producing new units -it will be easy to take, the other is not so near
2 Ships make it more interesting ;)
3 The image is only a representation of the map, they will be further apart when its made
4 Just adding the snow tile to color the tips of mountains, thats all

@Blake8
That base will not produce enemy units, its just an easy base to take asto give the player some practice before the real battle

@Siler
It will make for good scenary, otherwise it would be large chunks of trees covering the map, which would be boring

Status
Not open for further replies.