• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Generals-style airstrike system - Release or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Airstrikes are called by setting a few variables and calling a trigger, after that the airstrike manager code takes care of it. These variables include:

- Unit-type of the bomber (if it gets shot down, bombing stops)
- Lead distance of bomb to target
- Call-in source
- Strike point
- Strike radius
- Bomb release rate
- Trigger to call when a bomb is released
- What player called in the bombing

The "bomb release trigger" has 3 variables set for it ahead of time by the airstrike manager:
- Bomb release point
- Bomb impact point
- Player responsible for the bomb

Like Generals, it'll automatically fit the bomber trajectory to the map edges and adjust the flight path so that it comes from a map edge, flies (approximately) over the call point, then drop bombs on the strike point and continue to the edge of the map, and is then removed. Supports a near-unlimited number of independently-tracked bombers. Because of trigger-based releasing, there's no limit to how a bomb can work. Because of trigger-based calling, there are no restrictions on how to determine a strike point or call-in point (using triggers to link an airstrike to an ability is easiest)

This is more like framework than actual spells, but I've got a few examples.

So.... anyone interested, or should I just wait until I release my next map?

Carpet bombing peons:
airstrike.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.