• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Heat Sink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Anyone used the stock heat sink in the Intel Core Duo E8400? Both myself and my friend have had trouble with it. I can't get the pins that attach to the motherboard, to go in properly. I've got it pretty secure, but they aren't properly in, and would probably cause problems if I ran it like that.

Level 15
Make sure each pin is rotated in the right orientation. If certain pins are ¼ turn off, they won't snap in to the holes correctly.

Level 34
Plus a not correctly placed & pinned heatsink will, off course, cause your processor to fry.

I found the pins always so damn annoying, especially when the mother board is placed above the plate, which makes it even harder to push in the pins properly.

Level 34
Make sure each pin is rotated in the right orientation. If certain pins are ¼ turn off, they won't snap in to the holes correctly.
Oh, I've tried all angles, and as I said, one goes in fine, it's the one opposite that I have trouble with. It's holding on there good, and it seems to be properly on top of the processor, so I think it will be okay to run it a few times, at least just to test all the other parts.

Plus a not correctly placed & pinned heatsink will, off course, cause your processor to fry.

I found the pins always so damn annoying, especially when the mother board is placed above the plate, which makes it even harder to push in the pins properly.
It could fry, although they are built to shut down if they start to overheat, no?

Last edited:
Level 15
Oh, I've tried all angles, and as I said, one goes in fine, it's the one opposite that I have trouble with. It's holding on there good, and it seems to be properly on top of the processor, so I think it will be okay to run it a few times, at least just to test all the other parts.
Also make sure the tip of the plastic pins have not become bent in any way.

Level 34
That's a good idea. I'm pretty sure they aren't, but I'll have a look.
Still, I think I'll go with a new one. I can OC higher then anyways.

Level 34
That's a bit high, but I'll think about it. With this processor, I don't really think I'll need it. Maybe if I ever get a quad core to OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.