• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Probably upgrading to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I require some input on this budget computer.

These are the parts I am going to purchase.

[RAM]
Corsair Dominator TWIN2X PC8500 4GB DDR2 (2x2gb dual channel 1066mhz RAM) Comes with a multi-fan cooler.

[Motherboard]
Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L (Just a basic motherboard, socket 775 ofcourse and 1333mhz FSB)

[Powersupply]
Corsair 650w Black (Just another basic component, would probably work fine)

[Harddrive]
Western Digital Caviar Black, 500gb eSata 32mb cache, 7200 rpm.

[Graphics card]
XFX Geforce GTX 260, 896mb GDDR3, 216 core version.

[CPU]
Intel Core2Quad, Q8200 2.33ghz. (It will probably do the job just fine)

And that's about it, could use some input since it's been a while since I've had hardware that is pretty up-to-date.

Level 13
Get a DDR3-compatible motherboard. If you're upgrading to DDR2 as late as now, it's going to be painfully outdated before you can recover your wallet. And upgrading motherboards is an enormous pain in the ass.

The 650W looks like too much for just a GTX260; you could get away with 550W. But extra headroom never hurt anyone...

The rest of the stuff looks fine. If you want to upgrade the CPU at some point to a Core i7, make sure you get a motherboard that will allow that. You may want to consider using custom cooling for the CPU, because you will get a massive performance boost out of that processor if you can overclock to 2.6ghz or more. If you plan on upgrading the cpu at ANY time, or switching fans, please use a custom thermal gel/paste/grease product. Using a thermal adhesive is bad and wrong.

Level 12
Thanks for the input, I am aware of the DDR2 thing, but as it is, DDR3 motherboards and RAM are beyond my budget at this time, so I'll have to do with some really fast DDR2.

The Corsair 650w is in a package deal with a decent case with good airflow in it.
It would actually cost me a little more for a seperate case and a lower wattage PSU, easy choice there.

And about the i7 line: I DID think about it, but again, money is the issue and I'll have to settle for something decent that'll probably last me a few years.

With shipping, that hardware is about 1050$, which is all I have to spare at the moment (And my need is somewhat dire, been using a laptop with a fried geforce 8600 (VRAM failure probably due to heat damage) for almost 3 months now, it's getting quite tiresome being unable to play anything remotely 3D)

Level 34
First off what is your computer used for?

Don't get DDR3, it's not worth it yet. DDR2 is so cheap and is not outdated at all. I wouldn't suggest the domintors though. Gskill is your best bet for a budget computer.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Those are awesome sticks, I've got the 800mhz ones.

The power supply is a solid one, and obviously a good choice if it's a deal.

The video card is a good choice, although if you're willing to spend $40 more, you could get a Radeon 4890. Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100269SR Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I wouldn't worry about the processor, that quad will last a few years imo. If you plan on mainly gaming, and you aren't running multiple programs, I'd think about the E8400 or the E8500 though.

I couldn't find that motherboard, do you have any links you could provide?

Level 12
I will be running multiple rather heavy programs, so that Q8200 seems appropriate.

I'll be running Netradiant, PS cs3, 3dsmax and a few custom renderers at the same time. Not to mention a few games (Will definitely be trying out Farcry 2 to see what it can do)

I have a thing for Geforce cards, so not all that interested in a Radeon (Mainly due to more lively 3rd party driver community)
Plus I would have to wait till next month to order for just another 40$ in the budget (Yes, I'll be eating goddamn cup noodles this month to afford it all already, heh)

Why not the dominators?

[Edit: Oh! Forgot the link for the motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2847 ]

Level 34
Then yeah, you'll want a quad core.

If you can't afford it, you can't. The 260 core 216 will run everything out there right now.

The dominators are good, but the gskill are just as good and cheaper. At least imo.

How much are you paying for the mobo, I don't see a price.

Level 15
DO NOT BUY THE Q8200

THEY ARE BROKEN AND ONLY OC TO 2.8

Q6600=Win

Also, if your going to upgrade to a 4890, then shell out $25 more and get a 4850X2

4850X2 Spanks the GTX285
As far as heat and efficiency goes, the Q8000 and Q9000 series quad cores beat the Q6600.
If overclocking headroom on the Q8200 is that much of an issue for you, then just grab a Q9400. However, I suggest you read others' overclocking experiences though, as numerous people have reached clocks over 2.8GHz on a Q8200 at stock voltage.

The biggest reason you would stay away from a Q8000 series quadcore is the lack of Intel VT, which is important if you are running Xen, VMware, or any other virtualization system.

Level 15
Q6xxx=2x E6xxx
Q8xxx=2x E7xxx
Q9xxx=2x E8xxx

So a processor eats up a few more watts, it's still better performance.

And unless your going to use stock cooling, heats no problem.
One of these days, you'll start paying your own electric bills and you might start caring about power efficiency a little bit more. :wink:

Level 12
I have discovered something which might be a slight problem.

Expanded info on the PSU says it has 2x 8 pin Pci-E power connectors, which is required for a GTX 280.

But the GTX 260 needs 2x 6 pin Pci-E power connectors.

Am I missing something here?

[NEVERMIND, Apparently, it's 6+2 connectors, writing it so others can avoid that confusion]

Last edited:
Level 12
I dunno, some crazy design they got there..

I have some NEW concerns though, since motherboards usually provide only 1.8v to memory slots, it might bring some issues with both the Corsair and the G.SKILL ram, which requires 2.1 and 2.0v respectively

Read a few horror stories about people unable to even enter their bios while the RAM wasn't getting enough voltage, thus rendering them unable to set it to the appropriate amount >.<

Level 15
Having 6+2 is actually better (and more flexible).
Some cards use 8-pin connectors, some use 6-pin, some use a mixture of both. Offering each PCI-E power cable with the ability to service both 6 and 8 pin connectors is a big advantage.

Level 15
Didn't you read my post about the 4850X2? It spanks the GTX 280/285 for less.

4850X2 1 6pin 1 8pin
GTX 280 1 6pin 1 8pin
GTX 285 2 6pin

4850X2 $259.99 w/ Free Ship and $10 Rebate

GTX 280 $279.99 w/ Free Ship and $15 Promo Code

GTX 285 $329.99 w/ Free Ship and $30 Rebate

Also, the 4850X2 has 4 DVI, a better cooling system, and can actually be a workstation card (AutoCAD and others recognize it as one)

However, it is a foot-long, but not $5 D:, so make sure it fits in your case. A crap Rosewill probably can't fit it XD. Also:
DL THE DRIVERS OFF OF THE SAPPHIRE SITE, DONT USE THE CD

Level 12
I obviously ignored your post since you seem to have ignored the one I wrote about not being all that interested in ATI hardware.

Already ordered a GTX 260, 216 core version for only 149$, which was within the budget I had, another piece of information that must have passed right over your head.

Please, if you want to provide assistance to someone, reading is usually a good idea.

Level 15
I will be running multiple rather heavy programs, so that Q8200 seems appropriate.

I'll be running Netradiant, PS cs3, 3dsmax and a few custom renderers at the same time. Not to mention a few games (Will definitely be trying out Farcry 2 to see what it can do)

I have a thing for Geforce cards, so not all that interested in a Radeon (Mainly due to more lively 3rd party driver community)
Plus I would have to wait till next month to order for just another 40$ in the budget (Yes, I'll be eating goddamn cup noodles this month to afford it all already, heh)

Why not the dominators?

[Edit: Oh! Forgot the link for the motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2847 ]

You mean stuck in this post? And also, have fun running Wc3 with a Nvidia, they are crap with old engines.

Level 12
Got the hardware in the mail a few hours ago and assembly went off without a problem whatsoever.

Except 2 things: Had to bend some metal cause my old case wasn't designed for a GTX 260 AND they forgot to send the new case I had ordered.

But all in all, today has been a great day :p.. Now, if only I could find my damn OS disc..

Level 34
Windows 7 RC? I hear a lot of people using it rather than buying Vista for their new rigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.