• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HDD chip burned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Since your HDD has been physical damaged, you must take it to a computer company that can get your data. This is relatively expensive though, I think about 300 Euroz.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
One can not just replace a HDDs chipset. They are complex, clean and accuratly made machiens which you can not possiably repair or touch by hand unless in the propper environment and with proper tools.

In future you may consider setting up a raid1 array of 1 TB HDDs (2 of them) to not only boost system preformance but to also prevent data loss from something like this.

Level 11
He suggests that you should connect the 2 HDDs using RAID1 (RAID wiki). That way, you can boost your system's performance and keep your data safer.

Level 14
Bollocks you can. RAID can only protect against mechanical failure, which is extremely rare. If you want security of data, buy another HDD and use it as a backup disk, not in a RAID (since in a RAID, it's likely to suffer the same problem which leads to data loss). The performance boost is also minimal, and, unless you have a hardware RAID controller, it'll take up CPU time I believe (and hardware controllers are expensive).

Really, RAID is no backup replacement. At all.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Well if you read his problem, he suffered from clearly a mechanical failure of the HDD. It physically burned out or atleast the interface / controler did. Thus it is only logical to recomend him RAID1 as it protects against the very thing he is suffering from as well as gives a minor preformance boost when loading data.

Obviously if he wants to protects against data loss from random curroption or viruses a backup of important data is far more effective.

Basically how he solves this in future is up to him, eithor way however he will end up needing another 2 HDDs, one for the form of backup and the other for replacing his current broken one.

Level 14
Well if you read his problem, he suffered from clearly a mechanical failure of the HDD. It physically burned out or atleast the interface / controler did. Thus it is only logical to recomend him RAID1 as it protects against the very thing he is suffering from as well as gives a minor preformance boost when loading data.

Obviously if he wants to protects against data loss from random curroption or viruses a backup of important data is far more effective.

Basically how he solves this in future is up to him, eithor way however he will end up needing another 2 HDDs, one for the form of backup and the other for replacing his current broken one.

He wants to protect his data.

RAID is terrible at that. Mechanical failure is a very small proportion of data loss causes.

Hence RAID is terrible at it. Its main use is either for performance (if you have far too much money) or to keep very high uptime percentages (such as on servers, if a drive fails, it doesn't matter).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Anachron, that is why you should not protect your maps or hand other people unprotected versions so that you can always restore.

Captain Griffen, also, the only data loss I have ever suffered from is mechanical failure. Thus I think you are over exadurating the chances of non mechanical data loss. On my 5-6 year old PC, I have not lost a single file of importance (that is actually noticable if curroption occurs) due to data loss/curroption of any form. Mind you it has not suffered from a mechanical failure of the hard disks as well so it can not be used as an example as its current data loss is 0.

Also you must remember that RAID does also protect from data write / read errors to a degree as well since it comapirs the 2 volumes and if errors start to occur it does have some form of aleart if set correctly. Thus it also reduces the chances of that form of curroption. The only thing it does not protect against is software curroption, in which case backups are the only way to prevent (does not mater where they are as long as they are not affected by the damaging or manipulating software which causes errors).

Level 15
I have had 2 hard drives fail.

One was 15 years old, other was because of a design defect that caused the Click O Death.

I miss my 2.5 gb :(

Well, unless you have a precision soldering machine and the exact same chip, only choice is finding a company who does this type of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.