• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Harry Potter Fandom Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it's hard to believe, but Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was released a year ago to this day (At least in Eastern time anyway).

For us Potter fans, it was a huge moment, and DH didn't disappoint at all. While the Hive had an official spoilers thread, it did not have an aftermath thread. So, now, as we celebrate the HP fandom, I'd like to ask what you all thought of DH. Criticism is frowned on, but I'm certain it will come. Many felt the epilogue was cheesy, etc, etc, which, is legitimate, even though I sincerely enjoyed it.

Really, as this is a Fandom thread, I'd like to hear your opinions on the entire series, AND the fandom in general.

I, for example, still follow Pottercast, which, besides being the best source for news and information, is hilarious to no end. The fan conferences have been excellent, as I attended Prophecy 2007 in Toronto, I can tell you first hand that there's nothing on earth like it.

And Wizard Rock.

Oh yes, Wrock. For the uninitiated, Wizard Rock is music centered around the Potter universe. The surprising bit is that it kicks ass. Not only is it filled to the brim with topics pertaining to the HP series, it's actually good to listen to.

Lastly, the movies. While the movies have not been as good as the books, some have lived up admirably, most notably, in my opinion, Prisoner of Azkaban, which Alfonso Curan did an amazing job with. With HBP approaching in November, and the massive two-part Deathly Hallows movie on the horizon; Fan conferences for many years to come, the Fandom still has plenty to look forward to.

And did you all see the 800 words from the prequel she's not writing?!

Level 36
Ehh... Harry Potter fandom... don't tell me you're one of those people who dresses up as a wizard and gets up at midnight to wait in line to be one of the first to buy new Harry Potter stuff, brad...

I dunno. I like harry potter but "harry potter day" for me is just a little too much...

Level 14
The ending for me was, to say.. less than perfect. I, in general, liked the book, but the epilogue kinda ruined it for me.

I understand why she wrote the epilogue like that, but it just didn't do it for me.

Anyway, I did enjoy the books. Generally I thought the 2nd book was the worst out of the 7. Blah blah chamber of secrets blah blah. The 3rd book was my favorite, but after reading them all through again, I have to say its a toss up between the last 3.

Also, the one thing I loved about the books, was how each book got progressively darker in content and more mature in language, as life does. That is the one thing that J.K. Rowling did right. She's a mediocre writer, but her story was good, and the progression of the story was well done.

Those are my thoughts.

Level 24
I didn't like the epilogue, but it was definitely necessary to stop rabid fangirls from messing with her canon.

Level 36
There have already been close to a dozen Harry Potter conventions. Portus and Terminus are both happening this year, we've got Leakycon next year, we had 3 conventions in 2007, and in 2010 there's Infinitus, which is happening right inside the brand new Harry Potter themepark in Orlando, Florida.

As for the epilogue: I enjoyed seeing Harry and everyone all grown up. It was great to see the way his children behaved etc, but the names are what got me. "Albus Severus" is just embarassing, and though, it's done out of respect, it still just seems so cheesy.

The third is my favourite book and movie, mostly because it's the closest Harry gets to a normal year at Hogwarts, the Marauders are primarily concerned, and Sirius Black is our chief villain.

Book 5 is my least favourite. Though I do appreciate all of the order stuff in it, Umbridge, Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes, The DA, etc, Harry's attitude just wrecks it for me. It's still one of my favourite books of all time, but Harry is so angry and angsty all the time and I just feel that if someone had gone up and slapped him in the face as hard as they could, he might have stopped acting like an asshole to everyone the whole time.

Level 14
Book 5 is my least favourite. Though I do appreciate all of the order stuff in it, Umbridge, Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes, The DA, etc, Harry's attitude just wrecks it for me. It's still one of my favourite books of all time, but Harry is so angry and angsty all the time and I just feel that if someone had gone up and slapped him in the face as hard as they could, he might have stopped acting like an asshole to everyone the whole time.

well 3rd is the best movie, so far. The 7th movie has the potential to be the best, which of course is the point.

Anyway, yeah I hate his mood in the 5th book. That was the thing I didn't like about it. Blah blah voldemort blah blah, it's called control douche.

@Sansui, meh, to each his own :)

Level 36
well 3rd is the best movie, so far. The 7th movie has the potential to be the best, which of course is the point.

Anyway, yeah I hate his mood in the 5th book. That was the thing I didn't like about it. Blah blah voldemort blah blah, it's called control douche.

@Sansui, meh, to each his own :)

Yup, it was wierd. It's the only HP movie I haven't seen day-of release, or a few days later... and everyone was telling me how it sucked, how they left out everything, and I went like 3 weeks after it came out, and saw it at Imax, and I was like, meh, it was alright. And only once I saw the first and second again could I really appreciate what a departure it was from the kiddie-flicks that the first two were. I mean they were cute, and alright for watching, sure, but they don't have the depth that we see in the third.

Level 14
I don't really like the movies, in general. They have some decent moments but they're not great. They leave out or change a lot of the story, which pisses me off to no end. Same thing with the LotR movies.

Oh, also this was on my last post, but i edited too late lol
:Actually, I hated Harry in every book, thinking back. He's a self-righteous asshole. My favorite characters were Sirius or Moody.

Level 36
So, the Deus Ex Machina would be that the hallows pop out of nowhere as an answer to Voldemort's power? I don't think so at all. The Hallows don't even get pursued, Harry never uses them. Even when they're united, mastering death is not possible to the extent that people think. If anything, the HORCRUXES would appear to be the Deus Ex Machina, but since they've been present since the second book, I don't think so either.

Level 24
The Hallows aren't Deus Ex Machina because they aren't introduced out of nowhere to save anyone. P.S: The invisibility cloak has been around since the first book.

Level 9
True, but it suddenly becomes a "part of three item epic-level set", not to mention the ring who I assume allows harry to live, and the wand who happens to be in V's hand, and harry happened to beat malfoy and claim it, and it happens to know harry as his owner and refuse to kill him.

Too many coincidences.

Horocruxes are far from a dues ex machina much more then hallows, after all you need godamn 7 jest to save your sorry ass and even then you are weaker then a ghost. not to mention they are destructible, and are destroyed one by one-some even without the destroyer knowing it. (aka the dairy)

The hallows jest feel like a "damn forgot to give him a chance" effect, they suddenly replace ordinary magic items. the book could have gone out fine without them.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Hmm... Harry Potter.
I'm a big fan of the series. The fourth book was by far my favorite... I mean the Worldcup, the parties, the Tournament, the Bulgarians, even the love stories. Just awesome.
Oppositely, the fourth movie was the biggest disappointment (probably because I loved the book so much).
Though the ending of the seventh book was kind of... sudden, I pretty much enjoyed it. I can remember a damn sad feeling I had when reading those last lines though. The sad feeling about the series being over and stuff...

Level 36
Dude, you have NO CLUE how deep Harry Potter goes. A taste: The Alchemical Work, which is, to turn lead into gold, and in the process purify the soul of the alchemist, is divided into seven steps. Each book is based around its corrisponding step. Certain things happen during each stage that coinside with events happening in the books. The whole thing is so intertwined with Alchemy, it's amazing how it can follow both that and its own path.

I've read a shitton of high fantasy. None of it comes close.

I don't think so. I've read a lot of really good high fantasy (Sword of Truth, the Runelords, etc) but I still like Potter more :p

Sword of Truth, the Runelords sound like crab fantasys to me, maybee not, i can't say, might be good, haven't read, maybee i will. This is the strangest sentence i ever writen.

Level 36
I don't like the Dragonlance books. All of the DnD books are just epic fantasy pulled out of the author's ass, rather than creating a story with depth and meaning behind everything. Really, the only good ones are those written by R.A Salvatore, specifically Ice Wind Dale and the Legend of Drizzt.

But this thread isn't about fantasy. It's about Harry Potter.

Level 24
Some criticism I do have for the series is how they act like the Death Eaters (mostly Voldemort) is the wizarding world's Al Qaeda when they're more like the wizarding world's British KKK. If he were as much of a threat to the world as they acted like he was, other countries would have moved against him. On that same not, the series was written as if there was basically no wizarding outside of the UK, with only a few exceptions.

Level 14
Some criticism I do have for the series is how they act like the Death Eaters (mostly Voldemort) is the wizarding world's Al Qaeda when they're more like the wizarding world's British KKK. If he were as much of a threat to the world as they acted like he was, other countries would have moved against him.

Yeah, I see them more as a contained organization, just like the KKK. It is never explicitly stated that they did anything outside of Britain.

On that same not, the series was written as if there was basically no wizarding outside of the UK, with only a few exceptions.

Well, it is said, in book 4 primarily, that there are wizards in other countries (i.e. the U.S., Bulgaria, Ireland.. blah blah blah). Rowling was specifically writing from the British point of view. There's a Bulgarian Minister of Magic so it's safe to assume that there is also one in the U.S., France, etc.

Yes she did make it seem like Britain was the biggest, but she's from Britain so the overwhelming majority of things that you are going to read about are primarily British.

Level 11
I liked the books when I read them, but I have only read them translated to Swedish, so you can't really call me a fan, can you?

I have also seen the movies, and I enjoyed watching them, though there are better movies.

What really ruined the books is the epilogue, and especially the two last sentences, I HATE THEM! Oh, my GOD! They are the biggest fail of the whole series.

Level 36
Some criticism I do have for the series is how they act like the Death Eaters (mostly Voldemort) is the wizarding world's Al Qaeda when they're more like the wizarding world's British KKK. If he were as much of a threat to the world as they acted like he was, other countries would have moved against him. On that same not, the series was written as if there was basically no wizarding outside of the UK, with only a few exceptions.

WRONG. Sorry, just had to do that.

As far as I know, the KKK never attempted to subvert the US government, and then use that power for world domination? That's what Voldemort was specifically doing, and the death eaters all played roles in the government. Obviously the undertone of racism, or in this case bloodism is a similar veign in which the KKK operated, but all they did was kill people, they never wanted to run the government (or never remotely succeeded anyway).

As for the wizarding world? Of course! In the first three we don't hear about the rest of the world because the books focus on Harry's adventures at school. In Goblet we're finally awakened to the rest of the world. Witches from Salem (Meaning there is at least one magical school in the US, and I think it's safe to say several more as well as a ministry of magic). The only reason we don't deal with the rest of the world is really quite plain: Voldemort isn't dealing with the rest of the world yet. His goal is to take over Britain. Like they said, no one in Britain had heard of Grindewald until his duel with Dumbledore because he didn't operate there, but everyone who went to Durmstrang knew of him and some had even suffered by his hand (Such as Krum). The books revolve around the goings-on in Britain because Harry attends school there and Lord Voldemort is there. The rest of the world was surely active and about, but we just don't hear about it.

Level 24
Okay, it just kind of irked me that it was written as if Voldemort was going to take over the whole world instead of just their world.

Level 14
That's one of the things that I didn't like about the series. It's entirely too vague about the nature of Voldemort and the Death Eaters and how they were viewed by the world.

In the first book it made it seem as though his defeat is being celebrated all over the world, which maybe it was, but it's never explicitly stated. It doesn't say he had Death Eaters in other countries.

Level 5
I didn't like the epilogue, but it was definitely necessary to stop rabid fangirls from messing with her canon.

Didn't Rowling publicly acknowledge that she felt flattered to have people write fan fiction based off of her works?

But yeah, I wonder if an editor ever saw the epilogue. Stories don't have to end at the end, IMO. They should end when the action ends. The series was mainly about the struggle of Harry Potter to defeat Voldemart--why go on past that?

That's one of the things that I didn't like about the series. It's entirely too vague about the nature of Voldemort and the Death Eaters and how they were viewed by the world.

In the first book it made it seem as though his defeat is being celebrated all over the world, which maybe it was, but it's never explicitly stated. It doesn't say he had Death Eaters in other countries.

I like it that way, TBH. Sometimes, being a bit unrealistic is preferable to being spoonfed massive amounts of unnecessary information that I'll probably end up skimming over anyway. (HP did very well for that--I can't remember skimming at all, as opposed to all the other mainstream things that have tons of unnecessary text.) A lot of authors try to be way too realistic with everything. Sometimes it gets a bit annoying, and sometimes it just gets in the way. I can appreciate being realistic, but really, if I want experience something that real, I'll just go for a walk.

Besides, remember: the series was told in third-person limited point of view. In other words, if Harry doesn't know about it, we don't either. IMO, it would not have behooved J. Rowling to add in tons of scenes and discoveries into the nature of Voldemort or international wizardry, because, well, why should an author go out of his or her way to cover every little detail for a reader? Her job's to tell a story, not create a perfect wizarding world, and if the story she has in mind doesn't rely too heavily on international affairs, then that's how it should be. I'm perfectly fine with that.

I'm not a fanboy (not for HP, at least, and no, I'm not calling you guys that :p), and I don't know the intricate works of the series, nor do I intend to study it to learn them. However, from what I can remember, I think the series was pretty good. Maybe not quite as good as its fame entails, but, it's probably one of the few famous series out there that somewhat deserves its merit.

On an unrelated note, I hate seeing HP degraded by most people as childish. Take a good look at the books, and it's easy to see it is far from it. Anyone else feeling the satirical pwnge?

Level 24
The Harry Potter series started off as novels for children, but I wouldn't call the series written with only children in mind. Even before it caught mainstream popularity (when it was still basically childrens' fantasy fiction), the books were accessible enough to older readers.

Level 14
Didn't Rowling publicly acknowledge that she felt flattered to have people write fan fiction based off of her works?

Yeah but it's also annoying to the writer when said fan fiction ruins the world she made.

But yeah, I wonder if an editor ever saw the epilogue. Stories don't have to end at the end, IMO. They should end when the action ends. The series was mainly about the struggle of Harry Potter to defeat Voldemart--why go on past that?

Because most people like a nice cheery ending. The books were read by people from age 4 to age 40. A lot of those people want an ending.

I like it that way, TBH. Sometimes, being a bit unrealistic is preferable to being spoonfed massive amounts of unnecessary information that I'll probably end up skimming over anyway. (HP did very well for that--I can't remember skimming at all, as opposed to all the other mainstream things that have tons of unnecessary text.) A lot of authors try to be way too realistic with everything. Sometimes it gets a bit annoying, and sometimes it just gets in the way. I can appreciate being realistic, but really, if I want experience something that real, I'll just go for a walk.

The whole thing is unrealistic.. it's fantasy.

Besides, remember: the series was told in third-person limited point of view. In other words, if Harry doesn't know about it, we don't either. IMO, it would not have behooved J. Rowling to add in tons of scenes and discoveries into the nature of Voldemort or international wizardry, because, well, why should an author go out of his or her way to cover every little detail for a reader? Her job's to tell a story, not create a perfect wizarding world, and if the story she has in mind doesn't rely too heavily on international affairs, then that's how it should be. I'm perfectly fine with that.

Hmmm, I know and understand your point. But, for me personally, I like a lot of backround and more story. Hence my complete and utter fascination with the Lord of the Rings. I have about 10 books of lore on LotR, besides the actual main books. That's just me, I'm crazy.

I'm not a fanboy (not for HP, at least, and no, I'm not calling you guys that :p), and I don't know the intricate works of the series, nor do I intend to study it to learn them. However, from what I can remember, I think the series was pretty good. Maybe not quite as good as its fame entails, but, it's probably one of the few famous series out there that somewhat deserves its merit.

I do lol. I'm a complete loser and do that to every series I read. Oh well.

Level 36
It's probably the most famous book series ever. Everyone knows who Harry Potter is. Love it or hate it, it's become integrated into culture everywhere.

And the History of Middle Earth is DEAD BORING. I own all 12, and The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales (Especially Unfinished Tales) make much more interesting reads.

Level 14
It's probably the most famous book series ever. Everyone knows who Harry Potter is. Love it or hate it, it's become integrated into culture everywhere.

That's very true.

And the History of Middle Earth is DEAD BORING. I own all 12, and The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales (Especially Unfinished Tales) make much more interesting reads.

I actually found the Book of Lost Tales (1 and 2) the most boring. I couldn't get through them. There are a lot of books published most by Christopher Tolkien and his father. There are others that I own as well, such as an Atlas. Which really helps in map making :p

I like the Silmarillion best though, but yeah Unfinished Tales is a close 2nd.

Level 36
Yes, I have the Atlas of Middle Earth as well, and yes they're really just edited by Christopher Tolkien because his father is dead.

But regardless, this is about Harry Potter. The HBP trailer is supposed to be debuting exclusively on AOL today, but right now any time you search 'half blood prince trailer' you get rickrolled.

Level 14
Yes, I have the Atlas of Middle Earth as well, and yes they're really just edited by Christopher Tolkien because his father is dead.

But regardless, this is about Harry Potter. The HBP trailer is supposed to be debuting exclusively on AOL today, but right now any time you search 'half blood prince trailer' you get rickrolled.

Yeah I know.

Yes, back on-topic sorry lol

hmm, I'll probably watch HBP and be marvelously disappointed yet again.

Rickrolling is just sad and pathetic now >.>

imdb has nothing about a trailer from what I can see, but it does have pictures.

hmm interesting...(first time I actually searched for this) They're making the Deathly Hallows into two seperate movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0926084/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1201607/

Level 14
Yeah, I try to avoid knowing things about the Harry Potter movies, it makes me depressed.

Hmm. It's been awhile since I read it. I started reading them again 2 days ago.. I'm 3/4 of the way through book 4 already.. again.. so hmm..

Silver Doe would make most sense.

Also the trailer is coming up at 9pm tonight. I don't know what timezone >.>

Level 14
Hmm, it seems promising.

They changed some things from what I saw, but it's not that big of a difference.. so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.