• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Halos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
When I was looking at some models in the Previewer, I was trying out some of the different adjustments you can make for viewing the units, like Team Colour, and Cloaking, and I saw one which is called Halo.

It puts a glowing white outline around the unit.

Anyways, I was hoping that I could make halos appear around units in game, as I have great need of something of that sort, so far I have been unable to find any triggers or other methods that refer to it.

Does anyone know if this can be done? And how?

Or really anything else about Halos...

Level 11
Hmm,

well what I am trying to achieve is a kind of targeting visor, so preferably it should highlight enemy units. Though something that brightens your vision might work to a lesser extent (Since the game will take place in a low light setting).

Anyways, I will mess around with it a bit and see what I can do, though my hopes aren't high, thanks :)

Level 4
If you go to "Events+" under an actors and add a new event to run on "ActorCreation" you can set the action to "Halo Start".
It's a bit buggy though... It only seems to appear on parts of the unit and then cuts off, a marine will only be halo'd below the feet and only while moving.

Attachments

• Halo.png
    Halo.png
    308.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Halobugg.png
    Halobugg.png
    330.4 KB · Views: 172

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Do not rely of visual or lighting effects. They will only work correctly on ultra (maxed settings) as they are intended for use there. For people running on low or medium a lot of lighting effects will be missing and as such might make the map impossibly hard to play (eg that screen shot).

Level 11
Oh yeah forgot I run my GE on Ultra, but I don't in game :(

Which would explain the Halos.

Is it possible to change people's graphic settings via triggers? Cause if so I could force high shader settings but allow low everything else. But either way it isn't unplayable I have worked out a night vision alternative, which I don't think will be too much of a problem even at low settings.

ViewNightVision.JPG

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Again that uses the HDR and bloom lighting effects ( I think )... Low shader settings will not see that I believe.

The fact people run them on low means they have to run them on low. On ultra they will not be able to play. Thus no triggers can change graphics.

The only safe effects are the standard light emiters (not the glow and stuff but the directional shading) as they are probably the most simple and thus least demanding lighting system that games have used and thats probably it. All other effects should be optional if you want everyone to play the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.