• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Halo 2 Modding/Cheats/Glitches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Halo 2 Xbox Modding
Ok, i wanted to know, and ive heard mixed answers about this, ok, ive heard that if you mod on the computer halo 2 its not illegal but it is on xbox, ive heard none of it is illegal. ive heard alot. I just wanna know the real answer plz and thank you.

Halo 2 Xbox Cheats/Glitches
I wanna know if the Golden Warthog or Yellow Warthog or Civilian Warthog what ever you want to call it is real. People have told me mixed answers about this to, so far ive concluded its fake but i might be wrong. Just agin i want an answer plz and thank you.

Extra Words

**If this is considered spam im sorry i dont think it is but maybe**

**I know this has nothing to do with Warcraft or Blizzard but i belive we can just talk about gameing in this section**

Thanks,
EM :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 24
I believe any modding on Halo 2 Vista is illegal, but easier to get away with. Anyways, modding in Halo 2 on XBox is totally illegal, not to mention that you need to install Linux on your XBox to do it anyways. This is pretty hard to do the safest way; Get an original copy of Splinter Cell (I don't remember which one, I can ask my friend about it) and some other hard thing, that I will ask my friend about. The second way is hooking up your 360's hard drive straight to your computer. Both ways could ruin the involved hard drives, including your computer's.

I've tried the Golden Warthog thing. It is fake for several reasons:
1. What would the purpose of this be? Extra foot room? It doesn't have a gun, it would be a pre-Halo 3-Mongoose.
2. No way in hell are you going to get 16 people FOCUSED on the Golden Warthog glitch. If you manage to, try clearing the lag up enough that you can get all 16 rockets to hit it at once. Hard yes/no?
3. Have you EVER heard of the Golden Warthog glitch being executed properly? Have you ever seen pictures? Have you proven those pictures aren't elaborate photoshops?

Level 4
I believe any modding on Halo 2 Vista is illegal, but easier to get away with. Anyways, modding in Halo 2 on XBox is totally illegal, not to mention that you need to install Linux on your XBox to do it anyways. This is pretty hard to do the safest way; Get an original copy of Splinter Cell (I don't remember which one, I can ask my friend about it) and some other hard thing, that I will ask my friend about. The second way is hooking up your 360's hard drive straight to your computer. Both ways could ruin the involved hard drives, including your computer's.

I've tried the Golden Warthog thing. It is fake for several reasons:
1. What would the purpose of this be? Extra foot room? It doesn't have a gun, it would be a pre-Halo 3-Mongoose.
2. No way in hell are you going to get 16 people FOCUSED on the Golden Warthog glitch. If you manage to, try clearing the lag up enough that you can get all 16 rockets to hit it at once. Hard yes/no?
3. Have you EVER heard of the Golden Warthog glitch being executed properly? Have you ever seen pictures? Have you proven those pictures aren't elaborate photoshops?

Well, i have seen actual videos and pictures of it. And guides how to do it (their are several and by several i mean a crap load) But whenever i look in the comments on the video it says the person modded it in. Which would be a good explination but i still wonder how would you mod it if you had to take a turrent off a warthog which would be very difficult. And
all 16 rockets
which one is that? where you have to make the whole poster black?

Level 24
Well, i have seen actual videos and pictures of it. And guides how to do it (their are several and by several i mean a crap load) But whenever i look in the comments on the video it says the person modded it in. Which would be a good explination but i still wonder how would you mod it if you had to take a turrent off a warthog which would be very difficult.
Wouldn't be too hard, if you can mod a Gauss Warthog's turret (or a Spectre's turret) to be all on its own, fly, and shoot an airstrike of Wraith volleys and Plasma Grenades (you shoot, and then basically everything w/o an overshield for ~10 ingame metres of where the shot hits something with collision dies in a spectacle of blue fire raining down from the sky), then you can take a Warthog, turn it yellow, and hide its turret.

which one is that? where you have to make the whole poster black?
The version where you have to get 16 people to fire rockets and hit the poster all at the exact same time. A Golden Warthog is supposed to appear somehow.

Level 7
actually the people at Microsoft said that Halo 2 vista comes with a map maker and encourages you to make maps and trade them with friends so i dont think that modding will be illegal

Level 24
actually the people at Microsoft said that Halo 2 vista comes with a map maker and encourages you to make maps and trade them with friends so i dont think that modding will be illegal

Map editor != go ahead for modding. Modding in Halo is something like making a shotgun shoot rockets instead of pellets, or allowing you to fly a Warthog from in the passenger position. I'm relatively certain that Microsoft does not want this, as it is mostly done to cheat, hacking, and drastically changes the balance of the game in a way very different than just being able to create/modify one's own maps. Modding in Warcraft is (generally) creating fun maps that have nothing to do with ladder play.

By the way the "game makers" of Halo are the guys up at Bungie, and them alone. The game makers of Warcraft are the mapmaking community.

Level 21
well mods should be done in the same way as they are in most fps games...server state what mod they have like gungame, zombie mod or whatever and people choose to join them. the mods could give everyone super powers but there should always be servers which are normal and balanced.

Level 24
As far as Halo 2 is concerned, there are no such servers over XBox Live. I don't know about Halo 2 Vista. Anyways, if Bungie seriously endorsed Halo 2 modding (Bungie is in charge of that, not Microsoft) they would release a source version.

Level 4
I Agree, mods are just used to inhance the game play for people with bigger taste. As long as your not unfairly useing them online i dont see the problem. Also HALO 2 HAS A MAPMAKER???!?!?!?!?!?!? HOW DO YOU ACSESS IT???!?!?

Level 24
Halo 2 Vista. Not Halo 2. There is not, and probably never ever will be, any sort of map making program for Halo 2 (XBox) available to the public.

Level 4
Halo 2 Vista. Not Halo 2. There is not, and probably never ever will be, any sort of map making program for Halo 2 (XBox) available to the public.

Whats Vista? Computer?

And there is a map maker for xbox but it is called "Modding" if you havent heard of it. Modding Can alow you to teqnicly make maps.

Level 24
Whats Vista? Computer?

And there is a map maker for xbox but it is called "Modding" if you havent heard of it. Modding Can alow you to teqnicly make maps.

Vista is the new Windows OS (have you seriously NOT heard of it?). Halo 2 Vista, as the name implies, is only for Windows Vista.

Modding does not "technically" allow you to make maps, it allows you to edit the existing ones to your liking. That is no more mapmaking than me changing the colours of the trees used and adding random creeps and items in Lost Temple.

Level 4
Vista is the new Windows OS (have you seriously NOT heard of it?). Halo 2 Vista, as the name implies, is only for Windows Vista.

Modding does not "technically" allow you to make maps, it allows you to edit the existing ones to your liking. That is no more mapmaking than me changing the colours of the trees used and adding random creeps and items in Lost Temple.

Your right. But, modding is still a form of mapmakeing just like editing is considered a form of mapmakeing.

Level 4
modding capabilities always leads to me buyers. Why? The possibilities on games are about limitless (just look at wc3, has tons of capabilities for diverese, unique games)
But modding, as in hacking and cheating, will get you banned from XBox live

Well i have my xbox live on my 360, so if i modding on my xbox could it detect it?

Level 24
Your right. But, modding is still a form of mapmakeing just like editing is considered a form of mapmakeing.

Modding is NOT mapmaking. Modding is altering a game from the norm in potentially fun and exciting ways.

Also, NO, randomly sticking creeps and items into maps is NOT map editing. It is "considered" fucking around with an otherwise perfectly functional map.

Now, I'm not saying that modding isn't fun. I'm saying that modders who call themselves mapmakers and do nothing at all involved with even creating new terrain are one of several things:
  • A little vague on their definitions, and in need of dictionaries.
  • Idiots.
  • Dumb n00bs that use 13375p34k when they're talking normally, as opposed to only when sarcastic or joking.
Being part of a project where someone else does the terrain is okay, because it's still involved with creating new terrain. Modding in Halo 2, 100% of the time, has nothing to do with creating terrain. Maybe changing the background, maybe dropping a Scarab or two, but there is NO TERRAIN CREATION INVOLVED. Terraining occuring is the necessary element to have what you're doing be called "mapmaking".

Level 4
Modding is NOT mapmaking. Modding is altering a game from the norm in potentially fun and exciting ways.

Also, NO, randomly sticking creeps and items into maps is NOT map editing. It is "considered" fucking around with an otherwise perfectly functional map.

Now, I'm not saying that modding isn't fun. I'm saying that modders who call themselves mapmakers and do nothing at all involved with even creating new terrain are one of several things:
  • A little vague on their definitions, and in need of dictionaries.
  • Idiots.
  • Dumb n00bs that use 13375p34k when they're talking normally, as opposed to only when sarcastic or joking.
Being part of a project where someone else does the terrain is okay, because it's still involved with creating new terrain. Modding in Halo 2, 100% of the time, has nothing to do with creating terrain. Maybe changing the background, maybe dropping a Scarab or two, but there is NO TERRAIN CREATION INVOLVED. Terraining occuring is the necessary element to have what you're doing be called "mapmaking".

So i guess in warcraft if you go into a map and change the models and skins its not editing?

Level 36
PEOPLE. I have modded Halo extensively, so I kinda know what i'm yalking about.

MODDING HALO 2 FOR XBOX IS ILLEGAL. Why?

Because you need a mod-chipped or soft-modded Xbox to do it. Mod-chips are illegal! If you mod-chip your Xbox and try and go on Xbox Live, you WILL be banned PERMANENTLY. So DON'T.

Halo 2 for Vista, however, completely supports modding! So go for it!

The Warthog skins you are seeing are NOT part of any of the Halo games. They are user made, and using modifications they are added to the game. They do not exist as part of the Halo videogame made by Bungie, and much like the resources submitted here, they are user made and added to the game for player enjoyment.

It's just a reskin, with the gun edited out. It's not that hard.

Teh_Ephy DO NOT show someone how to ILLEGALLY modify their Xbox. You do not need Linux in order to mod-chip your Xbox, it is not hard, but I will NOT discuss it here, and neither will you.

Furthermore: Ephy you are wrong again. Halo PC modding is completely endorsed. There are many porgrams for modifying Halo PC maps (I have done it extensively) and since there is no ranking system, modifying the game can only make it unfair for everyone. There is no way that you can modify Halo PC to make one person have an unfair advantage. When you modify things, the changes are for everyone, not just one person.

A source version? DUH. It's called Halo Custom Edition you noob, look it up sometime. They provide the complete level creation tools that were used to create the original Halo, and the mapping community there has thrived.

Cheating, hacking, and crap like that is NONEXISTANT for Halo PC since there is nothing to be gained.

The modding community is loved by Bungie.

I hope this explains things for you.

Level 4
Intresting very intresting, does Halo PC online cost monthly? or cost anything other than the game buy price?

And you telling me you can go online in Halo PC with your Edited/modded or whatever you call it map, and nothing will happen to you?

Seems fun.

Level 36
1) Why the hell would it be monthly? Every other FPS on the PC has no monthly fee, why would Halo?

2) Yes you can, because there are no rankings or score systems at all otuside of the game your playing. Your profile is all you have, no account no nothing. Modded games are very popular, and there are no reprocussions for playing them. The HOST USER however has to create a modded game, you can't just join a map online and expect to be uber-modded jsut because your map file is.

Level 24
Jesus H Kriest. Tuesday I spent 10:33 until ~3:25 at the DMV and accomplished nothing, and today right as I was going to answer this, my wireless router completely dies. And not even for the first time. It got close to fixed, but by close I mean it switches from "connected" to "no connection" straight back to "connected" every four seconds without bothering to acquire the network address. So I'm glad I have an ethernet cable lying around.

Anyways, I'd like to apologize for my misinformation and underinformation, for my misinforming people because of the previous two, idiocy/being me without the "right" part/nubiness that occurred because of the previous two, and for anything else I may have done stupid (including the modding help).

About the modding thing, I wasn't trying to show him how to do it, but how hard attempt and likely to fail (and cost several hundred dollars) a method of modding is. I was unaware that you could just go and "mod chip" an XBox, which of course the totally makes the method that I was failing to describe unnecessary.

I stand by my statement that a map editor is not a go-ahead for modding, but if they let you anyways then I acknowledge that there is absolutely nothing stopping you from doing so, and you should try it out for kicks and/or giggles and/or any other reason you may want to try modding Halo 2 Vista.

Now that I'm close to in the clear (please?), damn, I need Vista. To the best of my knowledge, the only PC version of Halo 2 is Halo 2 Vista, which (duh) only works on Vista. I'd love to run around spraying rockets at people with a shotgun.

Level 36
Uh.... HELLO where have you been?! Halo PC has only been out for how many years... originally it was going to come out ONLY on the PC, but then MS pulled a MS and went and delayed it to get it on the Xbox first. There are still a VERY large number of people playing Halo PC, especially because Halo 2 Vista reportedly sucks balls.

Level 24
The thread title is "Halo 2 Modding/Cheats/Glitches". Anyways, Halo: CE for PC has map editing software? I have no idea, I don't have it.

Level 36
Halo CE as in Custom Edition, not Combat Evolved. The PC version of Halo is simply titled that, no Combat Evolved at the end.

Here's how it works. You download the Hek (Halo Editing Kit) that contains all of the tools (aside from 3DSMax, which you need to make maps) and then you play these maps on Halo Custom Edition. Halo PC does not support custom maps, you can only play modified versions of Bungie's maps, so that's where Custom Edition comes in. In order to install Halo Custom Edition (which you can download for free) you must have a Halo PC CD Key, so no stealing for j00s.

In terms of Halo 2 Vista, all I know is that it comes with map editing software. I'm not sure what the extent of this is, or how easy it is to use, as I don't have the game yet myself.

Level 36
Yalking is the best kind of talking. It goes on and on and on. And yeah, mod chipping is very very very good (I know first hand lol, my blackbox is cracked wide open even runs an xbox compatible linux distro, Xebian) but it's against the law, so therefor it is not to be talked about. Pc modding doesn't require you to do anything illegal (or even against the eula, tos, or any other agreement to do with playing a game) so therefor it is very very very good also.

Level 4
OK so let me get this straight, Halo Xbox modding is illegal.
Halo moddding on PC is perfictly finee.
Halo PC is free.
And you need 2 halo PC games to mod and play custom maps on it.

All that right?

Level 24
I believe that the first one is correct. The second one is correct in that there is no cost to play online, but it does cost however much. I believe you only need one copy of the game for the third.

Level 21
lol have you never brought an fps game before evel muffen? you pay for the game but you dont (usually) pay monthly because (usually) the servers are hosted by private people not the game developers/publishers. this si true of almost every fps game i know apart from planet side.

Level 36
Halo PC is about 10 bucks to buy from a store. Modding Bungie maps is normal and legal. No monthly fees.

Halo Custom Edition is free if you have Halo PC. It allows you to host custom user-made maps.

Halo 2 Xbox: Iunno how much to buy. 50 bucks a year for Xbox Live if you want online play, etc. Illegal to modify the game in any way, because that requires a modchip. Modchips are illegal.

Halo 2 Vista: 50 US to buy, monthly fees for advanced Live features.... modding is legal, normal and expected.

Halo Xbox: probably about 10 bucks. No online play, so no monthly fees. Illegal to mod (because you need a modchip to modify it, modchips are illegal)

Understand yet?

Level 4
Halo PC is about 10 bucks to buy from a store. Modding Bungie maps is normal and legal. No monthly fees.

Halo Custom Edition is free if you have Halo PC. It allows you to host custom user-made maps.

Halo 2 Xbox: Iunno how much to buy. 50 bucks a year for Xbox Live if you want online play, etc. Illegal to modify the game in any way, because that requires a modchip. Modchips are illegal.

Halo 2 Vista: 50 US to buy, monthly fees for advanced Live features.... modding is legal, normal and expected.

Halo Xbox: probably about 10 bucks. No online play, so no monthly fees. Illegal to mod (because you need a modchip to modify it, modchips are illegal)

Understand yet?

EDIT:
And thus this thread is over. Unless someone wants to object last minute.

Last edited:
Level 4
OK, good cause i want to mod soo bad. and you download somthing seperate thats free to make maps or is that only with Vista?

And do i have to buy a differnt version if i want it on my mac to?
Or will it install to both?

EDIT

Ok i Bought it but now im confused...when i click multiplayer it says "Cannot Connect"
Where do i register to play online???

EDIT

If you know any good modding tutroials plz link.

Last edited:
Level 36
1) The same still applies for Mac. You must buy Halo PC and then download Halo CE to play custom maps.

2) 3DS Max is required to make actual maps for Halo CE. You cannot get it for free, it costs about three thousand dollars. The HEK are just world population and item editing tools. They let you make your map good, but they don't allow you to make the map.

3) You don't need to register anywhere to play online. You just create a profile that you use for campaign and single player, and that's it. Nothing else to it. If you can't connect, take it up with the support staff, not me.

4) I have no idea if there are even any modding tools available for Mac. Since all of the modding tools are thrid party programs, I imagine that unless the authors wanted to go out of their way to provide Mac tools, that they are for Windows.... Note that these tools are to modify Bungie maps. They let you change things like weapon damage and vehicle speed and such, so that these changes will take effect when you host a map on normal Halo PC.

I learned everything I know about Halo modding myself, so I couldn't point you in the direction of any tutorials.

Status
Not open for further replies.