• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Guitar Hero Like Mini game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hey guys,

I want to add a mini game in my map similar to guitar hero. It'll be much much simpler tho. I already implemented the sounds and stuff but I want some ideas on how to create the visual part of it. What system should I use? I've got some ideas so I'm writing them for discussion:

1) Making Floating texts come down from top to bottom and if the required button is pressed when it is in the accepted area, the score would add up as positive. I want the sounds to play even when they are pressed randomly(Let the players improvise)

2) Create units which have specific models, and decrease their heights as time passes when they are pressed according to their respective buttons when they are between in a height interval add the points.

I plan to use 4-5 notes for songs, so they will be like the Christmas song or greensleeves kinda songs. Very simple ones. The chords will play behind as music and the notes the player presses will be played as Sound.

So here's the information, awaiting replies ^^

Level 39
I would set the camera to perfectly vertical (aiming right at the ground) and use something like [vJASS] - ImageTools or ImageUtils - Wc3C.net to move the images into a 'play here' area.

It will probably behoove you to use 4 WASD-like abilities than try to use arrow keys, as they keypress events can occasionally bug out and think a key is permanently depressed even after you've let up on it. 0 cast point/backswing on a unit and 0 duration/follow-through channel abilities ought to work nicely. As a bonus you could use the unit's life/mana UI to show progression for to powerup mode for successful keypresses or just what % of the level has been completed so far.

Level 19
Hmm, but opposing to your suggestion, I want to make it like a cinematic as well. So the camera will move around in the tavern while we play the song. There may be an opaque model covering the center area of the map so we can see the notes perfectly. I want to let the players see how the listeners/crowd in the tavern behave that's why I want to make it look around. In your case we should focus on a board like screen. But I liked the idea where we can use the board to cover the center area and let the sides open for sight.

Level 39
I see what you want to do! Perhaps use units with 2D models that you constantly move in front of the camera via SetUnitX/Y then. I can't think of anything else that can display stable in front of the camera. Images can have a height so I think you could move them in the same way. Dunno about angling them though.

Level 19
Hmm this surely fits better man. I can use a check in every 0.03 seconds and place each notes in their next place. Similar to a fancy spell moving many objects at the same time. Then ill need an almost opaque board and two or three 2d models for notes. Ill try what i can do thanks so much for the idea man ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.