• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

GUI spell request

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like two simple spells.

A GUI fire wall that can be levellable. Pretty self-explainatory.

A GUI frozen orb. It shoots out an orb of ice that fires off ice bolts in random directions.

Thanks and +REP for anyone who does this TO MY LIKING.

And dont hound me about "THIS CANT BE DONE WITHOUT JASS", "YOURE A STUPID GUI USING NOOB!", "WHY DONT YOU USE JASS?!?!?!", "GUI SUCKS!".
This isn't the place and i don't want to her it. Thanks.

Level 6
How many units per team do you wish to be able to cast the firewall? I may trigger it for you. Also are there any other specs? I coded the firewall he linked. It isn't very good but I was just keeping it simple.

Level 6
I'll begin triggering it so one unit per player can cast it without problems then. Just in case you make it multiplayer.

Level 6
Actually, I'm almost done with the fire wall ability, I'm just adding up some last cool effects. I've also included a formula section, so that if you want to learn how to draw nice things, these are the one's commonly used.

The frozen orb will be done after this, but I believe it is a much harder project and will require more time, especially since it has to be done in GUI :cute:

I'll do both spells in the same map, so I'll upload the map with just the firewall, and then update this post for the new one

Level 6
Ok I finished the trigger. If you need any modifications just let me know. At current the unit can only cast one firewall at a time. If you need it more than let me know. One unit per player can have this cast at once.

To import into your map just copy the ability and the trigger of your choice. Ones GUI and ones JASS.

The spells do essentially the same thing but the JASS ability is easier to edit and can be used multiple times by one person at once. I recommend you use the jass version of the spell and learn from it.

Good luck if you need anything else please pm me I won't be checking this thread much.

Since he's already almost done with his firewall, I recommend you use it if you find it better. He'll probably add cool effects to his.

Last edited:
Level 6
Alright, well it's taking more time than I thought, I'm trying to make it MUI, so it'll be half an hour or two :p

Level 6
I'm not really sure if it's possible us to make it mui in GUI. I think he may have to do that with unit variables or groups. If you do let me know, because thats why I switched to Jass. I couldn't make mui spells for other people without alot of triggers or access to their map.

Level 6
howl2000 said:
I'm not really sure if it's possible us to make it mui in GUI. I think he may have to do that with unit variables or groups. If you do let me know, because thats why I switched to Jass. I couldn't make mui spells for other people without alot of triggers or access to their map.
No, you can do it pseudo-MUI, like I am doing right now. All I need to do now is fix the damage, 'cause it doesn't damage anything yet! You can see how pesudo-MUI works as soon as I'm done.
Alright, here it is, took me longer than I expected, but I wanted to give some eyecandy, and easy access to the spell's stats AND so you can add eyecandy yourself. Mind you, this is version 0.1, so if you have any suggestions, comments, anything to add, PM me about it and I'll see what I can do.

Hope you'll like it Archangel_TidusX

I'll start working on the Frozen Orb spell. As soon as I get something to eat...
Once the last spell is completed I will update the current attached map.

And for those of you who want a quick look on the spell's triggers here you go.

Initiating Global Variables - This can be done in the variables tab, but it's simpler this way
  • Initiate Global Variables
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set real_TimerSpeed = 0.04
      • Set real_BaseDamage = 10.00
      • Set real_BaseDuration = 0.00
      • Set real_BaseLength = 250.00
      • Set real_DamageFactor = 5.00
      • Set real_DurationFactor = 5.00
      • Set real_LengthFactor = 250.00
      • Set real_DamageInterval = 1.00
      • -------- ---------------- --------
      • Visibility - Disable fog of war
      • Visibility - Disable black mask
Fire wall initiation, create dummies and set variables
  • FireWallInit
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Fire Wall
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer B) from 1 to integer_Instances, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • bool_Instances[(Integer B)] Equal to False
            • Then - Actions
              • -------- Set variables --------
              • Set real_Duration[(Integer B)] = (real_BaseDuration + ((Real((Level of Fire Wall for (Triggering unit)))) x real_DurationFactor))
              • Set real_Length = (real_BaseLength + ((Real((Level of Fire Wall for (Triggering unit)))) x real_LengthFactor))
              • Set real_DamageCalculation[(Integer B)] = (real_BaseDamage + ((Real((Level of Fire Wall for (Triggering unit)))) x real_DamageFactor))
              • Set integer_AmountOfFires[(Integer B)] = ((Integer(real_Length)) / 100)
              • Set real_CurrentDuration[(Integer B)] = 0.00
              • Set real_TempDuration[(Integer B)] = 0.00
              • Set real_Distance = (Distance between (Position of (Triggering unit)) and (Target point of ability being cast))
              • Set real_Hypotenuse = (Square root(((Power(real_Distance, 2.00)) + (Power((real_Length / 2.00), 2.00)))))
              • Set real_QAngle = (Atan(((real_Length / 2.00) / real_Distance)))
              • Set point_LineStart = ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by real_Hypotenuse towards (real_QAngle + (Angle from (Position of (Triggering unit)) to (Target point of ability being cast))) degrees)
              • Set real_LineAngle = (Angle from point_LineStart to (Target point of ability being cast))
              • Set real_DistanceBetweenDummies[(Integer B)] = (real_Length / (Real(integer_AmountOfFires[(Integer B)])))
              • Set real_IntervalDuration[(Integer B)] = (((real_Duration[(Integer B)] / real_TimerSpeed) / real_Duration[(Integer B)]) x real_DamageInterval)
              • For each (Integer A) from 0 to (integer_AmountOfFires[(Integer B)] - 1), do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Set integer_Calculations = (((Integer B) x integer_AmountOfFires[(Integer B)]) - (Integer A))
                  • Set point_TempLine = (point_LineStart offset by ((Real((Integer A))) x real_DistanceBetweenDummies[(Integer B)]) towards real_LineAngle degrees)
                  • Unit - Create 1 Fire Dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at point_TempLine facing Default building facing degrees
                  • Set unit_DummyFire[integer_Calculations] = (Last created unit)
                  • Set point_SpecialEffects = (Position of unit_DummyFire[integer_Calculations])
                  • Destructible - Pick every destructible within 100.00 of point_SpecialEffects and do (Actions)
                    • Loop - Actions
                        • If - Conditions
                          • ((Picked destructible) is alive) Equal to True
                        • Then - Actions
                          • Destructible - Kill (Picked destructible)
                        • Else - Actions
                  • Special Effect - Create a special effect at point_SpecialEffects using Abilities\Weapons\RedDragonBreath\RedDragonMissile.mdl
                  • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
                  • Custom script: call RemoveLocation( udg_point_SpecialEffects)
                  • Custom script: call RemoveLocation( udg_point_TempLine)
              • Set bool_Instances[(Integer B)] = True
              • Custom script: call RemoveLocation( udg_point_LineStart)
                • If - Conditions
                  • (FireWallDuration <gen> is on) Equal to False
                • Then - Actions
                  • Trigger - Turn on FireWallDuration <gen>
                • Else - Actions
              • Skip remaining actions
            • Else - Actions
Fire wall duration, here we count the time, using a timer, and we make sure the timer isn't running when none of the instances are used to avoid unecessary looping.
  • FireWallDuration
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.04 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set bool_ActiveInstances = False
      • For each (Integer integer_Loop2) from 1 to integer_Instances, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • bool_Instances[integer_Loop2] Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Set bool_ActiveInstances = True
            • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • bool_ActiveInstances Equal to False
        • Then - Actions
          • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
        • Else - Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • bool_Instances[(Integer B)] Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • real_CurrentDuration[(Integer B)] Less than or equal to real_Duration[(Integer B)]
                • Then - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • real_TempDuration[(Integer B)] Greater than or equal to real_IntervalDuration[(Integer B)]
                    • Then - Actions
                      • For each (Integer A) from 0 to (integer_AmountOfFires[(Integer B)] - 1), do (Actions)
                        • Loop - Actions
                          • Set real_DamageAoE = (real_DistanceBetweenDummies[(Integer B)] x 1.25)
                          • Set integer_Calculations = (((Integer B) x integer_AmountOfFires[(Integer B)]) - (Integer A))
                          • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
                          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within real_DamageAoE of (Position of unit_DummyFire[integer_Calculations]) matching ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of unit_DummyFire[integer_Calculations])) Equal to True))) and do (Actions)
                            • Loop - Actions
                              • Unit - Cause unit_DummyFire[integer_Calculations] to damage (Picked unit), dealing real_DamageCalculation[(Integer B)] damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
                    • Else - Actions
                      • Set real_TempDuration[(Integer B)] = (real_TempDuration[(Integer B)] + (real_TimerSpeed x 10.00))
                • Else - Actions
                  • Set bool_Instances[(Integer B)] = False
                  • For each (Integer integer_Loop1) from 0 to (integer_AmountOfFires[(Integer B)] - 1), do (Actions)
                    • Loop - Actions
                      • Set integer_Calculations = (((Integer B) x integer_AmountOfFires[(Integer B)]) - integer_Loop1)
                      • Unit - Kill unit_DummyFire[integer_Calculations]
                      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at point_SpecialEffects using Abilities\Weapons\RedDragonBreath\RedDragonMissile.mdl
              • Set real_CurrentDuration[(Integer B)] = (real_CurrentDuration[(Integer B)] + real_TimerSpeed)
            • Else - Actions

Last edited:
Level 6
That is a very neat set of triggers. Unfortunately the game freezes after about 20 seconds in your test map.

Also in the spell it appears if one unit with a higher level of the spell casts his spell the damage of the lower first spell is increased to match his though I could be wrong. I'm not going to try to check because it crashes in under a minute.

When you get this working lmk. I still wish to learn some of these techniques.

Level 6
That is a very neat set of triggers. Unfortunately the game freezes after about 20 seconds in your test map.

Also in the spell it appears if one unit with a higher level of the spell casts his spell the damage of the lower first spell is increased to match his though I could be wrong. I'm not going to try to check because it crashes in under a minute.

When you get this working lmk. I still wish to learn some of these techniques.
1) The damage for each fire wall is set at initialization, so the damage will not change for the already placed walls.
2) The damage is stored within each instance, thus preventing any global mistakes, think of it as a "struct" in CPP, kind of neat if you think about it. Creating structs in GUI!

Hmm, that's odd, when I try it in my editor it works fine, do you have NewGen? Maybe it screws up for you because you don't have it, or, no offense, but you could be sitting by a wooden computer? :confused:

Can anyone confirm that it freezes up after about 1 minute? If so then I'll have to recheck for leaks/other

edit: ok so, there wasn't a problem with it, yay, I don't have to redo it!

Last edited:
Level 6
Ok it only freezes when I run it from my editor. Works fine if I launch from frozen throne itself. I have NewGen. Oh well....

K I'm reading and learning thx.

Possible leaks
You used position of triggering unit a few times and didn't remove the location.

Wow you are intelligent. It took me like 20 minutes to follow that all the way through. Ty. I learned alot. Still not going to write all that for someone else, but who knows maybe I'll have to use it someday. +Rep

Last edited:
Level 6
Ok it only freezes when I run it from my editor. Works fine if I launch from frozen throne itself. I have NewGen. Oh well....

K I'm reading and learning thx.

Possible leaks
You used position of triggering unit a few times and didn't remove the location.

Wow you are intelligent. It took me like 20 minutes to follow that all the way through. Ty. I learned alot. Still not going to write all that for someone else, but who knows maybe I'll have to use it someday. +Rep
Ah yes, I always forget the small leaks, I'm not too fond of GUI, anyway, I'm updating the map now, thanks!

A spell request is a spell request, I do what I can to make it efficient. And I believe the posts are saved somewhere. :)
Edit: Good good, if you wonder about something, want anything changed, any suggestions or any input at all, just PM me :cute:

Edit: I can't find any statements saying "Position of Triggering Unit" anywhere except in the controlled variables, can you PM me the part where it does?

Edit: I'm working on your Frozen Orb thingy now, I'll have to use Diablo II as my muse, so I know how it should look like

Last edited:

No, you can do it pseudo-MUI, like I am doing right now. All I need to do now is fix the damage, 'cause it doesn't damage anything yet! You can see how pesudo-MUI works as soon as I'm done.
Alright, here it is, took me longer than I expected, but I wanted to give some eyecandy, and easy access to the spell's stats AND so you can add eyecandy yourself. Mind you, this is version 0.1, so if you have any suggestions, comments, anything to add, PM me about it and I'll see what I can do.

Hope you'll like it Archangel_TidusX

I'll start working on the Frozen Orb spell. As soon as I get something to eat...
Once the last spell is completed I will update the current attached map.

And for those of you who want a quick look on the spell's triggers here you go.

Initiating Global Variables - This can be done in the variables tab, but it's simpler this way
  • Initiate Global Variables
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set real_TimerSpeed = 0.04
      • Set real_BaseDamage = 10.00
      • Set real_BaseDuration = 0.00
      • Set real_BaseLength = 250.00
      • Set real_DamageFactor = 5.00
      • Set real_DurationFactor = 5.00
      • Set real_LengthFactor = 250.00
      • Set real_DamageInterval = 1.00
      • Visibility - Disable fog of war
      • Visibility - Disable black mask
Fire wall initiation, create dummies and set variables
  • FireWallInit
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Fire Wall
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • bool_Instances[(Integer B)] Equal to False
            • Then - Actions
              • -------- Set variables --------
              • Set real_Duration[(Integer B)] = (real_BaseDuration + ((Real((Level of Fire Wall for (Triggering unit)))) x real_DurationFactor))
              • Set real_Length = (real_BaseLength + ((Real((Level of Fire Wall for (Triggering unit)))) x real_LengthFactor))
              • Set real_DamageCalculation[(Integer B)] = (real_BaseDamage + ((Real((Level of Fire Wall for (Triggering unit)))) x real_DamageFactor))
              • Set integer_AmountOfFires[(Integer B)] = ((Integer(real_Length)) / 100)
              • Set real_CurrentDuration[(Integer B)] = 0.00
              • Set real_Distance = (Distance between (Position of (Triggering unit)) and (Target point of ability being cast))
              • Set real_Hypotenuse = (Square root(((Power(real_Distance, 2.00)) + (Power((real_Length / 2.00), 2.00)))))
              • Set real_QAngle = (Atan(((real_Length / 2.00) / real_Distance)))
              • Set point_LineStart = ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by real_Hypotenuse towards (real_QAngle + (Angle from (Position of (Triggering unit)) to (Target point of ability being cast))) degrees)
              • Set real_LineAngle = (Angle from point_LineStart to (Target point of ability being cast))
              • Set real_DistanceBetweenDummies[(Integer B)] = (real_Length / (Real(integer_AmountOfFires[(Integer B)])))
              • Set real_IntervalDuration[(Integer B)] = (((real_Duration[(Integer B)] / real_TimerSpeed) / real_Duration[(Integer B)]) x real_DamageInterval)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Set point_TempLine = (point_LineStart offset by ((Real((Integer A))) x real_DistanceBetweenDummies[(Integer B)]) towards real_LineAngle degrees)
                  • Unit - Create 1 Fire Dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at point_TempLine facing Default building facing degrees
                  • Set unit_DummyFire[integer_Calculations] = (Last created unit)
                  • Destructible - Pick every destructible within 100.00 of point_SpecialEffects and do (Actions)
                    • Loop - Actions
                        • If - Conditions
                          • ((Picked destructible) is alive) Equal to True
                        • Then - Actions
                          • Destructible - Kill (Picked destructible)
                        • Else - Actions
                  • Custom script: call RemoveLocation( udg_point_TempLine)
              • Set bool_Instances[(Integer B)] = True
              • Custom script: call RemoveLocation( udg_point_LineStart)
                • If - Conditions
                  • (FireWallDuration <gen> is on) Equal to False
                • Then - Actions
                  • Trigger - Turn on FireWallDuration <gen>
                • Else - Actions
              • Skip remaining actions
            • Else - Actions
Fire wall duration, here we count the time, using a timer, and we make sure the timer isn't running when none of the instances are used to avoid unecessary looping.
  • FireWallDuration
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.04 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set bool_ActiveInstances = False
      • For each (Integer integer_Loop2) from 1 to integer_Instances, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • bool_Instances[integer_Loop2] Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Set bool_ActiveInstances = True
            • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • bool_ActiveInstances Equal to False
        • Then - Actions
          • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
        • Else - Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • bool_Instances[(Integer B)] Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • real_CurrentDuration[(Integer B)] Less than or equal to real_Duration[(Integer B)]
                • Then - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • real_TempDuration[(Integer B)] Greater than or equal to real_IntervalDuration[(Integer B)]
                    • Then - Actions
                        • Loop - Actions
                          • Set real_DamageAoE = (real_DistanceBetweenDummies[(Integer B)] x 1.25)
                          • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
                          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within real_DamageAoE of (Position of unit_DummyFire[integer_Calculations]) matching ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of unit_DummyFire[integer_Calculations])) Equal to True))) and do (Actions)
                            • Loop - Actions
                              • Unit - Cause unit_DummyFire[integer_Calculations] to damage (Picked unit), dealing real_DamageCalculation[(Integer B)] damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
                    • Else - Actions
                      • Set real_TempDuration[(Integer B)] = (real_TempDuration[(Integer B)] + (real_TimerSpeed x 10.00))
                • Else - Actions
                  • Set bool_Instances[(Integer B)] = False
                  • For each (Integer integer_Loop1) from 0 to (integer_AmountOfFires[(Integer B)] - 1), do (Actions)
                    • Loop - Actions
                      • Set integer_Calculations = (((Integer B) x integer_AmountOfFires[(Integer B)]) - integer_Loop1)
                      • Unit - Kill unit_DummyFire[integer_Calculations]
              • Set real_CurrentDuration[(Integer B)] = (real_CurrentDuration[(Integer B)] + real_TimerSpeed)
            • Else - Actions
You're fire wall works pretty well, but not so pretty. I can change all that though. +rep.

Ok I finished the trigger. If you need any modifications just let me know. At current the unit can only cast one firewall at a time. If you need it more than let me know. One unit per player can have this cast at once.

To import into your map just copy the ability and the trigger of your choice. Ones GUI and ones JASS.

The spells do essentially the same thing but the JASS ability is easier to edit and can be used multiple times by one person at once. I recommend you use the jass version of the spell and learn from it.

Good luck if you need anything else please pm me I won't be checking this thread much.

Since he's already almost done with his firewall, I recommend you use it if you find it better. He'll probably add cool effects to his.

You're fire wall didn't even open and crashed my world editor. I didn't have a function 'addspecial effects. +rep if you cn solve this. I assume you have newgen

Level 6
What do you mean by not pretty?! :angry:

Ok, fine, I might be horrible at making cool effects, if you happen to get it cooler, PM me the new one and let me take a look so I can use it for future reference. :cute:

By the by, if you'd mind to take a look at the triggering, you might notice the hard, slave-like, work I did for you! It is very efficient and easy accessed.

To be honest, I don't think you can do a frozen orb spell in GUI. I've been trying some alternative ways, but since I have to keep it MUI it makes it even more difficult.
I mean, even the graphics look horrible using GUI, you get some lagginess...
If I could do it in JASS, would you mind?

This is what I've got so far, but I think I'm gonna scrap it and try something else

Attachments

• Fire Wall and Frozen Orb.w3x
    43.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
What do you mean by not pretty?! :angry:

Ok, fine, I might be horrible at making cool effects, if you happen to get it cooler, PM me the new one and let me take a look so I can use it for future reference. :cute:

By the by, if you'd mind to take a look at the triggering, you might notice the hard, slave-like, work I did for you! It is very efficient and easy accessed.

To be honest, I don't think you can do a frozen orb spell in GUI. I've been trying some alternative ways, but since I have to keep it MUI it makes it even more difficult.
I mean, even the graphics look horrible using GUI, you get some lagginess...
If I could do it in JASS, would you mind?

This is what I've got so far, but I think I'm gonna scrap it and try something else
Well, I think the fire is just too plain. look at it this way. X's represent fire.
Current:

X X X X X X X

Desired:

x x x x x x x
X X X X X X X
x x x x x x x

(when I can again)+rep as always though. If yo need to make the frozen orb jass, i would prefer you didnt include functions that would require the download of a 3rd party tool. I see you have put a lot of work in this and it is really appreciated. I like the spell, and if you were to add effects, i wouldnt expect more regions for ddamage, just the efffects. Thanks a lot. Also, I might need a slight tutorial in reading the frozen orb ability.

I tried to reopen it and it crashed my editor too. I guess it bugged while compiling, but since he made one already, I'll leave it be. sorry :sad:

It's a shame that I couldn't open and see your work, but the help is much appreciated. +rep

Level 5
Your request finally gave me the motivation I needed to make some fire wall spell. So here it is.

It is not really MUI, 'cause there is a 0.20 wait in it. Just work on it in GUI, then convert it to JASS and make every variable local.

There are several things you can modify, I stored these in variables. The damage dealt by the wall is set via a fire burn ability. If you don't want the fire breath, just cast the fire wall with another ability.

Have fun and give credit if you use it.

[Attachment removed. Get the newest version here.]

Last edited:
Your request finally gave me the motivation I needed to make some fire wall spell. So here it is.

It is not really MUI, 'cause there is a 0.20 wait in it. Just work on it in GUI, then convert it to JASS and make every variable local.

There are several things you can modify, I stored these in variables. The damage dealt by the wall is set via a fire burn ability. If you don't want the fire breath, just cast the fire wall with another ability.

Have fun and give +rep if you use it.

Actually I had wanted it in GUI so thanks a lot. It is an awesome spell idea and it works just like I wanted it to, though I'll have to modify some of the fields. +rep

Status
Not open for further replies.