• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

GUI/MUI spell and system contest

Should a GUI contest exist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
i see some winner in spell and system contest is a vjass user, why didn't we GUI user join a contest that only allow GUI type of spell and system?
Give me your feed back!
GUI/MUI spell and system contest #1
Theme: dejavu
Description: achieve a time based spell, either making a unit comes back to it's last location in past 5s, or even an upgraded chronos sphere (the cronossphere itself is restricted for this contest)
Rule: no copying!
Hope this help
:)

Last edited:
Level 19
vJASS spells are not really superior to GUI spells but usually the spellmakers are (there are exceptions of course)
so this is somehow similar to dividing the spell contest into 2 classes
but there are some people who can't use JNGP for various reasons so I don't think it's fair to exclude them from the vJASS contest (if there is one)
maybe something like a GUI and a vJASS/GUI/whatever contest would be better
actually I like the idea of a GUI-only contest
I'd take part (provided that the theme is good and that I am going to find my wc3 folder backuped somewhere :p)

Level 17
Yay!
I got attention from the most kind gui spell maker
Thanks for your support dark gandalf, i really really appreciate it
Some spell that made in vjass or jass can't be converted to gui, but gui spell can easily converted to jass or vjass..
:'(
I got this idea when see the result of mini spell and system contest, the winner is elmjr, the one that use vjass (or jass?), he copied the spell from ffx, the 1000 needle of cactuar,made in jass...
T.T
And i think my skill is good enough, so i wanted to see some spell and system (GUI) #1
Hope this poll seen by moderator, especialy, the spell moderator, for them to make this contest exist

Level 19
Whats the sense of that?
GUI entries should be judged differently and thats all.
Only allowing GUI is like a 100 metres but only allowing to hobble.
GUI sucks. It may be good for a start, but srsly every1 should use Jass after having done some stuff in the WE.

there are world championships in sprinting and walking although you are way faster with the first :p

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
You can upload it in Spell section ;)

I suport the idea, it would be nice to have contest focused only on GUI part.
If we look ok modeling/texturing contest there are a lot of types (however, ther aren't differend model languages, there are just differend programs..)

It could lead to divide spell contests into few categories, which can only make spelltriggering more interesting.

Level 16
I do like the theme of the contest (time spells), but I don't think it's appropriate to exclude jass. The spells contest you mentioned in which the winner was 1000 needles was not an only jass contest.

Besides, lots of people who use jass could just go to GUI and write custom script for the spell. Also, only GUI will have loose definitions. Removing leaks such as points has to use a custom script, and using local variables is sometimes easier than using a hashtable. Just make a spell contest in general, because everyone can compete. The jassers will probably win, but that is because they are more experienced and can execute ideas better.

That is fair enough that there shouldn't be a contest for such a particular thing as GUI is jass in general and GUI does have alot more restrictions in being flexible.
Just try your best in a spell making contest and don't try to worry about it because as beef said the more experienced mappers usually use jass in spells as it has more ways of functions and Spells can be more advanced in Jass.

Status
Not open for further replies.