• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Greenis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
The Greenis city fragment
[Yes this is models/textures from wow (almost all) and i don't care what u think about that -) ]

Attachments

• 500f370f79a7.jpg
    500f370f79a7.jpg
    779.3 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Level 13
Yes there is ugly textures, and that's why it's some real skill to make something good with 'em. And if you look at pictures what are made by some very good terrainers. You just can't say they are bad.

And wow models are just plain when used in wc3.

Level 36
Seriously guys, if he wants to use WoW models, then he uses wow models, and you shouldnt attack him for that matter. Rather comment on the execution of his terrain than complain about what kind of models he uses. In a way I am disappointed <.<

Anyways, for the terrain. There isnt awfully much going on, and the things you've made is simlpy put together to look nice, but there seem to be little inovation. You should try using your doodads more experimentally. Your terrain could also do with a fog, and better lighting, as I think someone commented on. You should also consider making it a bit more interesting to look at.

Level 48
Warcraft3 it is 2002 year. I'm using more better Blizzard product, any problems here?

WoW is from 2004, and?
No problems, really, asides the fact that Blizzard CAN sue your ass if they want to for using World of Warcraft models. If it's from a map\campaign, that is. If it's just terrain, as in there is no project or mod associated with it, it's fine(but WoW models still look extremely cartoonish). I'll just put it that way:

This terrain is better than yours. That terrain also happens to use WC3 models(or more correctly models made by people who mod WC3). So you can't claim something like "WC3 and UTM are the past" when people still terrain perfectly fine looking terrains without stupid WoW models.
This terrain was most likely made using the High res pack by Born2Modificate. It looks infinitely better than yours, and guess what, those models are in fact NOT WoW models OR rips. They are made by a WC3 moder just like you or me.

Level 18
argg i dont know what opinion i should give since im a huge fan of WoW. anyway making a good looking terrain with WoW models isnt hard and i personally think that you can use them to make terrain but only for use for yourself and not for showing off in a thread. anyway like piwlady sayed try to make somthing nice with UTM

meh kind of lame since its just all wow models so its kind of like high res which looks good but only because of the models
other than that pretty boring really. nothing really happening and it only looks good because the models look good all you did is place them there in a non-exciting manner, it seems. then adding in high res and having AN ALTAIR?? model doesn't help your case really

anyway using a different game's models and textures which goes in the same lore/storyline of the game and then saying its just better quality is complete shit tbh

Level 48
You misunderstood him. What he basically said(which is 100% correct) is that your terrain ONLY looks good because you put some pretty models in it. I mean, for example - a cake wont be tasty if you color it fancy colors and add some fancy decorations and shape it in a special way. That wont make it tasty; only pretty. Basically, you put little to no effort in making this terrain - you just randomly put some pretty models. You could do the same with the High Res pack - it will still look pretty, but that's not terrain. I mean... Think of it that way, what would happen if you replace all your models with the basic WC3 counterpart of them? That would look extremely ugly, right? Well, if you make a terrain in which replacing all doodads with WC3 counterparts would actually look GOOD, then you could say you made a good terrain.

THAT IS in case you are doing terrains FOR SHOWCASE, to SHOW YOU CAN MAKE PRETTY TERRAINS. If it's for a PROJECT(MAP, CAMPAIGN, MOD), then you can just be sure that this project is not going to be approved on the Hive.

Level 2
This is not randomly put models T_T. How can i do my own design of the city?(custom tileset, houses etc) using standart or utm models - this is impossible, so i'm using some my models, textures(maded by myself) and some proper models from high res pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.