• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gorehowl Forged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40

Azeroth Armory: Forging Gorehowl
Blizzard recently released the following video. The forging of Gorehowl, the axe of Grommash Hellscream.

Blizzard said:
Watch legendary Hollywood blacksmith Tony Swatton (of Man at Arms) stoke the fires of his forge to bring the hellacious weapon Gorehowl to life — only to unleash its fearsome power on some unsuspecting foes. Ouch!

Not exactly classified as news, but it's warcraft 3 themed and released by Blizzard so I guess people would find it interesting.

Level 30
I think Warcraft III/Starcraft II - related properties might be of fine acquaintance for news update unless it seems rightfully worthy, not sure about this but well alright, past is past.

Say I never knew that youtuber (Man-at-Arms?) is still kicking after all these years, looks like he now has a crew helping out with the provision of YT partnership. I remembered watching his "the making of Finn's sword of Adventure Time" episode during college, damn he makes iron love him.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
This shows two problems.
1. Blizzard designers for weapons are artists not weapon smiths. Maybe if they hired the right people they could make proper weapons that make sense. As the guy pointed out the weapon would way so much that even an Orc would be sent flying trying to wield it.

2. Blizzard is doing this on the cheap. If they really wanted a solid piece made they could have ordered one be printed from an avionics company. More and more companies from the car and aircraft industry are using 3D metal printers to produce their metal components since they can do so more precisely than any cast. Sure it costs a fortune (a single jet turbine blade is in the thousands of pounds price range) but they are far tougher than anything forged as well as more precisely engineered.

I also want to raise the question why a Diablo Barbarian was wielding it at the end... Hmmm maybe it was stolen from them?!

Level 25
This shows two problems.
1. Blizzard designers for weapons are artists not weapon smiths. Maybe if they hired the right people they could make proper weapons that make sense. As the guy pointed out the weapon would way so much that even an Orc would be sent flying trying to wield it.

2. Blizzard is doing this on the cheap. If they really wanted a solid piece made they could have ordered one be printed from an avionics company. More and more companies from the car and aircraft industry are using 3D metal printers to produce their metal components since they can do so more precisely than any cast. Sure it costs a fortune (a single jet turbine blade is in the thousands of pounds price range) but they are far tougher than anything forged as well as more precisely engineered.

I also want to raise the question why a Diablo Barbarian was wielding it at the end... Hmmm maybe it was stolen from them?!

First of all, this axe was designed for a fantasy universe - A universe where its denizens not only sport ridiculously large and illogical pieces of armor and weapons, but are also able to wield magic. I hardly think realism is what they were aiming for.
Secondly, you have to ask yourself; How interesting would it be watching a machine cut out pieces of metal? After all, this video was created for the community (a community that is used to crafting weaponry through similar old-fashioned, albeit simplified, methods in Blizzard's video games), and as such you need a certain degree of human interaction to make it entertaining to watch. Sure, it might've been the cheaper option, but it's also the more fitting option for this purpose.

I felt the Barbarian was a bit out of place too.. They could've at least dressed someone up in a orc costume (which would obviously have been more expensive (both in time and cost), so, ironically, here I feel that "cheapness" was the issue).

Status
Not open for further replies.