• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Good Filesize for a map ?/ Loading Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

1. What´s a good file-size for map ? I am working on a map at the moment and already reached 4 MB with little Triggers.

2. Is the loading-speed of 'Testing Map' similar to the loading Speed in MP ?

3. Why is my import-files-size 7 MB, but my map-size 4 MB ?

I am sorry that I posted those questions all in one, but I dont want to open 3 Threads for those little quesions...

1) If singleplayer, you can have unlimited filesize, but keep it as small sized as possible (for faster downloads). If multiplayer, try to keep it below 8 MB. Maps above 8 MB cannot be played Multiplayer. But there is some way to bypass the dumb 8 MB limit.
2) elaborate. i have no idea.
3) the import manager probably compressed them for you.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

1) If singleplayer, you can have unlimited filesize, but keep it as small sized as possible. If multiplayer, try to keep it below 8 MB. But there is some way to bypass the dumb 8 MB limit.
2) elaborate. i have no idea.
3) the import manager probably compressed them for you.

Oh there´s a size-limit ? ... With bypass you mean Jngp ?

Thank you :)

Check my signature for the official method made by Blizzard to bypass it. Way better then using some hack method that will easily get disabled as well to even join anyone's game with it you and them must have the .dll while my method allows you to join anyone however stuff might not be seen by some, still all they have to do is download files and place them correctly as well turn local files on.

Though yeah for your first few maps I would suggest staying under the limit for now.

Level 13
no. search for it. i know there's a custom .dll file which remove the 8 MB limit.
Additionally, you can import models and icons into your warcraft directory and reference them in your maps without having to actually import the files into your map. As with the file that removes the 8MB Limit, all players will need the files to pull this off. Both have their downsides, imo best to just keep below 8mb.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. What´s a good file-size for map ? I am working on a map at the moment and already reached 4 MB with little Triggers.
A good filesize would be about 4-6 MB as anything bigger is hard for hosts to upload. It also leaves some space for future content.

2. Is the loading-speed of 'Testing Map' similar to the loading Speed in MP ?
Yes and no. If your system is as resource limited testing as with playing in multiplayer then yes they are similar. If however the editor is straining your resources (such as memory) then no as page faults could dramatically raise load time during testing compared with when playing the game by itself in multiplayer.

Additionally depending on the cache status of WC3 data mpqs you can have different load speeds. When testing most of the needed file blocks should already be cached (the editor needed them) so only soft page faults will occur and loading will be very fast. On the other hand if you fresh start WC3 and go straight into multiplayer then none of data blocks will be cached so only hard page faults will occur and loading will be more slower. On a modern system with several GB of memory this usually only affects the load speed of the very first session of a map you play as after then the data blocks will be cached for the next session.

3. Why is my import-files-size 7 MB, but my map-size 4 MB ?
The file must be stored in the MPQ archive with compression flag enabled. As such each block of it is compressed in some way or another. If its contents suit one of the algorithms then it is possible to get a compression by 3MB.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

A good filesize would be about 4-6 MB as anything bigger is hard for hosts to upload. It also leaves some space for future content.

Yes and no. If your system is as resource limited testing as with playing in multiplayer then yes they are similar. If however the editor is straining your resources (such as memory) then no as page faults could dramatically raise load time during testing compared with when playing the game by itself in multiplayer.

Additionally depending on the cache status of WC3 data mpqs you can have different load speeds. When testing most of the needed file blocks should already be cached (the editor needed them) so only soft page faults will occur and loading will be very fast. On the other hand if you fresh start WC3 and go straight into multiplayer then none of data blocks will be cached so only hard page faults will occur and loading will be more slower. On a modern system with several GB of memory this usually only affects the load speed of the very first session of a map you play as after then the data blocks will be cached for the next session.

The file must be stored in the MPQ archive with compression flag enabled. As such each block of it is compressed in some way or another. If its contents suit one of the algorithms then it is possible to get a compression by 3MB.

Now it´s definitely clear to me, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.