• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Gnoll War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
The year is ca. 516 according to King's Calendar. Kingdom under the rule of King Barathen Wrynn.

The Kingdom of Stormwind is flourishing thanks to its expansion of lands, newfound resources and trade between other nations. It's not as isolated as it seemed to be at its beginning. Thanks to the recent peace, people are living in relative prosperity. Nothing seems to stop Kingdom's growth as everybody's looking upon the future.

Yet... there is a threat from the past, a race of hyena-faced brutes that have been living in those lands long before humans came. And they are determined to take back what's theirs, always antagonized between each other, but this time it's different...
:carr: Download: Gnoll War: Prologue

A short story of mine

A year ago I rediscovered an awesome piece of software, which World Editor undoubtedly is.
It came at a time when I was getting interested in game dev as well. These two things intermixed well, so I decided to create something basic. A map based on a simple concept of defending a base. But before I realized it grown to something more than that, so I realized I needed a plan to follow up.
This is how I came up with a concept of this campaign.

After learning many things on the way, few breaks here and there & having a blast in general, I managed to release a playable prologue to the campaign.

Story​

The story is basically a fan fiction (but faithful to canon lore) that discovers a period in Stormwind's history known as Gnoll War, which happened before the opening of Dark Portal, so orcs weren't known to humans yet. This period has been barely touched upon by Blizzard, and it got me really interested, so I figured out it has a great potential and gives a lot of room for creativity.

Several factions and stories told around them:
  • The Holy Order of Northshire Clerics;
  • Stormwind Nobles and their power-play;
  • Bandits & outlaws;
  • Brotherhood of the Horse;
  • Gnoll bands;
  • ... and more.

Discover, explore and experience

• regions appurtenant to Stormwind such as Westfall, Redridge, Brightwood and towns within that disappeared off the face of the earth after the First War;
  • unique gameplay systems to maintain your squad survivability;
  • Rexxar-style campaign but with some unique base building and resources management;
  • perks for your squad that decides strength for specific unit types, dependent on your build;

Q&A​

Q: Will I get to play gnolls?
A: I actually have in mind a short arc within the campaign that enables the player to control these brutes :grin:

Q: When the campaign is expected to be released? How long would it take?
A: In a brief that I've written, it was meant to have over 10 chapters, excluding short interludes. At this moment every episode has a short story description with objectives to gain and other details, not even level sketches have been developed, so it is in a very raw state I would say.
Producing a playable ~2 hour long prologue took me quite a bit, but considering the fact I was learning basics along the way, it would be much quicker if I'd start now.
So it is basically at the concept stage, as the title suggests - so I CAN'T PROMISE ANYTHING YET!

Q: When development phase will begin?
A: It's hard to answer since I decided to take a break for now. Perhaps if I'd find someone eager to work with on that concept, it would pick up on speed :wink:

Q: Any major characters, who will be the main protagonist and antagonist?
A: If you've already played the Prologue you probably found out that the main antagonist is Garfang of Redridge Pack - the main culprit behind organized gnoll invasion on human settlements. When it comes to protagonist, I haven't decided yet.
But you can count on more good & bad characters with story development around them.

Q: Will other chapters be as long as the prologue?
A: Yes, I intend to achieve that if I'll begin the development phase. The sheer amount of story, details and side quests to make the world rich and worth to explore should make each map lengthy enough.

I would elaborate more on those special features I mentioned whenever I will pick up myself back to work. Any news regarding progress, etc. will also be posted in this thread.

Level 23
It's not your fault, it's how Reforged is designed. Until reforged, every map and campaign was at least visible in the game menu, no matter the game version is. That's all.
I strongly disagree. Different campaigns would not be playable on different versions if they used features from higher version editors, and sometimes they would not be visible at all in the game menu.

I love the idea of a gnoll campaign. Look forward to trying it out, Mashira.

Level 26
I strongly disagree. Different campaigns would not be playable on different versions if they used features from higher version editors, and sometimes they would not be visible at all in the game menu.

I love the idea of a gnoll campaign. Look forward to trying it out, Mashira.
I'm sorry, I forgot there is that side of the penny too. I'm a player no editor / modder. It's more understandable now.

Level 7
tried it wow man very good i like the way we can switch stances hoping to see more of this a damn shame mini map is covered dont know if its intended really loved the gameplay not repetitive this could go very far with our footi upgrading :D hit me up if u got a new update and looking for someone to test had a slight issue at the end when entring the first cave the gnolls that spawned behind me were corpses and they did not move and going to the murloc side caused defeat then i went on the right side not easy to spot and all was good after that big thumbs up

Status
Not open for further replies.