• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gladiators of Azeroth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Gladiators of Azeroth

This idea is for anybody to use who wants to make a map based off of it or use any of its elements. I will periodically update it as I come up with more elements. I'm not focused enough at the moment to actually make a map of my own for it but my hope is that someone is able to make a decent boss map using it. Feel free to add your own ideas, I will look over every comment posted and attempt to incorporate it somehow. Mechanics are pretty set unless something really awesome comes along.

Core Concept
Gameplay
Players ("Gladiators") cooperate to defeat unique bosses. Meant for 4 players but with the right coding it would be cool if it could scale down for smaller groups or even 1 player depending on how many players were present.​

Backstory
The mysterious and maniacal entity known only as the "Arena Master of Azeroth" has made a hobby out of kidnapping people with extraordinary combat skills. He forces his captives to fight in the "Great Arena of Azeroth", an otherworldly coliseum where prisoners are forced to fight unspeakable horrors from their world and beyond.​

Mechanics
Gladiators
Gladiators are regular (non-hero) units, as they are already experienced heroes in their own right. They do not gain abilities but instead gain them through their items.​

Items
Most of the items must be earned by the gladiators but each of them starts with their main weapon. There are a few categories of items: Main Weapons, Secondary Weapons, Weapon Augmentations, Armor, and Consumables.​

Main Weapons
Every gladiator starts with their main weapon. They can then upgrade this weapon by collecting upgrade parts. Every main weapon has a special ability available immediately at level 1. Every level a weapon gains increases a particular stat, every 3 levels increases the special ability's level, and at max level (9) the weapon gains a second special ability referred to as the "super ability".​

Upgrade Parts
These randomly spawn during boss fights and are required to upgrade a gladiator's main weapon. After a boss fight is over, they may be spent by clicking the main weapon in the gladiator's inventory. It takes 5 upgrade parts to level a main weapon and enough upgrade parts should drop during a fight so that each player has the chance to level their main weapon by 1 after each boss fight.​

Secondary Weapons
Secondary weapons are like main weapons except that they can't be levelled up. They give the player one static ability.​

Weapon Augmentations
A fancy way of saying "stat boost". In the lore, these are attached to the gladiator's weapon in order to increase their power but really they just grant stat boosts or passive abilities.​

Armor
Pretty much weapon augmentations with a different name for lore's sake.​

Consumables
Food, drink, potions, etc. Anything that must be directly used in order to benefit from its effect and loses a charge every time it's used. Not to be confused with secondary weapons that happen to also have charges.​

Gladiators
Format
Name
Flavor Text​
Combat type (Fast/strong, melee/ranged)​
Items​

Rifleman Elite
"Part of an elite fighting force he said. Able to take on any mission, in any terrain, in any weather. We'll see how he fares in my Arena... I'll let him keep his Specialized Blunderbuss but I'll make him earn back his Bayonet, Gnomish Grenades, Scope and I'll even throw in some Emergency Rations I acquired after slaughtering his troop. We'll see how good the training of a Rifleman Elite really is..."​
Powerful Range​
Specialized Blunderbuss (Main Weapon)
Increased attack speed and damage per level.
Snipe Shot (Active): Deals double damage.
Tactical Shot (Acitve): High chance to one-shot adds. Stuns.​
Gnomish Grenades (Secondary Weapon)​
Throw Grenade (Active): AOE damage and knockback.​
Bayonet (Secondary Weapon)​
Charge (Active): Rushes toward target point, dealing damage to anything in his path.​
Scope (Weapon Augmentation)​
Snipe (Passive): Has a chance to deal double damage on hit.​
Rations (Consumable)​
Restores HP and MP over time.​

Bosses
Bosses each have their own pattern of attack. Play a few good MMOs with actual boss fights and you'll see what I mean. They use certain abilities at certain times in order to make the actual boss fight a complete experience all its own.

Format
Name
Combat type​
Wave​
Ability​

Nerubian Widow
Fast Melee​
Intro​
Says: "Ah, new morsels.
Welcome to my web, said the spider to the flies."​
Queen's Feast: Webs start randomly spawning on the ground. Stepping on the web slows your move speed and if a gladiator stands on one for too long they'll be encased in a web at which time the Nerubian Widow will descend and begin to attack them. While trapped in the web, the gladiator is stunned; the web encasing the gladiator can only be removed by attacking it until it's destroyed. After a few webs have been avoided, the Nerubian Widow will descend in the middle of the arena and begin attacking the closest gladiator.​
Wave 1 (100%-50% health)​
Summon Spiderlings: Summons small spider adds that poison when they attack.​
Web Shot: Shoots a glob of web in a given direction, if it hits a gladiator they become trapped in a web that stuns them until it is destroyed.​
Interlude​
Queen's Menace​
Wave 2 (50%-25% health)​
Summon Spiderlings​
Consume Young: Eats a nearby spiderling in order to restore a percentage of health.​
Toxic Thoughts: Picks a random gladiator and attaches a toxic cloud to them. Anybody in the cloud except for the original target takes damage over time.​
Wave 3 (25%-0% health)​
Summon Spiderlings​
Consume Young​
Toxic Thoughts​
Psychic Scream: Each gladiator has a chance to be scared stiff, stunning them for a period fo time.​

Status
Not open for further replies.