• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gladiators of Azeroth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Gladiators of Azeroth

Creator(s)
Crueltyinc (Timothy Metcalfe) - Guy who just bought WCIII again and refuses to get SCII until he makes a worthwhile map.

State of Progression
Jan 11, 2011 - Idea started yesterday, various resources sought out and basic systems being implemented.

Backstory
I dunno. Something about gladiators being thrown into an arena and being forced to fight some of the strongest creatures/beings in all of Azeroth. Yeah, that'll do.

Gameplay
Deadly bosses. Customizable heroes. Unique weapons. How many times have you been promised this and received instead yet another fight consisting of watching your so-called "hero" repeatedly go through his attack animation on a boss with a gazillion health or a gazillion bosses with 1 hp? Well, I hope I don't wind up making one of those.

Instead, I intend on making a boss-fight-pit-style map where the bosses actually challenge participants to pick their heroes, their heroes' weapons, and their heroes' alignments with care. I intend on making a map where players are forced to think about how to deal with the bosses' stages and other various complications thrown their way.

WCIII Map Editor limitations here I come!

Wish me luck.

Future Features
-Well... I dunno. I should probably make the first one first and then worry about the rest.

Level 4
Screenshots, no... VIDEOS will come after I make something worth recording. Pictures wouldn't show the flow of battle.

Level 3
Will you be using custom spells? That would certainly make this something more special than a hack and slash game.

I like the idea too, if you can pull it off :)

There hasn't been many 'fight to the death' games that have taken my fancy recently.

Level 4
Yeah I'll be using custom spells and I'll probably do the majority of it in hard code. Here's a pic of the battlefield, what do you think? Bigger? Don't want to make it TOO big...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2.png
    Screenshot 2.png
    956.3 KB · Views: 120
Level 3
I think that battlefield is perfect. You don't want to much empty space or anything. That should allow enough space to cast spells, range, attack or do anything you need.

Will you be adding any doodads to the arena or around it though? You don't want it to appear too bland, although it doesn't bother me that much.

Level 4
Good questions (wow, responses o.o)

Miss Foxy: Dunno, haven't played it but by the description it might be. Read the response to Kino's question for more.

Kino: The idea is to have several rounds of stage-based boss fights. For example, random boss number one pops out, does his/her song and dance - summoning adds, presenting interesting situations and the like - and when (s)he's defeated players will have a period of time to recover and by some sort of mechanism redeem things they won in the match for fabulous prizes used to slaughter the next boss. Bosses - and their stage patterns - would be randomly generated for maximum replay value, and their difficulty would increase every round.

ToP: In the original concept I had pegged it at 1-4 players, scaling the difficulty to the number of players present. Hadn't thought about PvP (take a look at the snapshot, not too much room for anything like that), but was focusing on pure co-op. Though, having recently seen that one Mario game for the Wii that had players both cooperatively and competitively playing according to their liking, I'd like it to take on a similar aspect.

Also, first boss idea below:

Nerubian Widow
  • Damage - Average
  • Attack Speed - Average
  • Defense - Low
  • Health - High
Abilities
  • Summon Spiderlings: Summons 8-10 Spiderlings under the control of the Nerubian Widow.
  • Toxic Venom: 10% chance to inflict a poison that deals average DPS every second for 15-20 seconds.
  • Web Wrap: Picks the hero with the highest damage dealt and wraps them in a web caccoon. While in the web, the victim cannot move, attack or cast spells. Attacking and destroying the web is the only way to free the trapped player.
  • Devour Young: Consumes a nearby Spiderling to heal the Nerubian Widow equal to the remaining life of the consumed Spiderling.

:ADD: Spiderling
  • Damage - Low
  • Attack Speed - Average
  • Defense - Low
  • Health - Low
Abilities
  • Paralyzing Toxin: 10% chance to inflict a poison that slows attack speed and move speed by 50%.

Edit: And I'm lazy in terms of terrain design so yeah, what you see is probably what you're going to get +2/3 doodads... maybe...

Level 3
I definitely like the boss idea and gameplay style, but i do agree that you should have lots of classes to choose from.

If you're up to it you could make a customisation screen at the start, like on sims. A map a friend of mine made has this in it, so i could give an example.

Level 4
Heroes

Races
Human
Dwarf
Elf
Tauren
Undead
Orc

Weapon Classes
Blades
- Physical melee-range weapons that favor accuracy over damage.
- Sharp weapons made to slice through opponents with dazzling ease.
Smashers
- Physical melee-range weapons that favor damage over accuracy.
- Blunt weapons made to bash opponents' brains in.
Guns
- Physical long-ranged weapons that favor damage over accuracy.
- Weapons that fire explosively-powered projectiles.
Bows
- Physical long-ranged weapons that favor accuracy over damage.
- Weapons that fire man-powered projectiles.
Staves
- Magical long-ranged weapons that favor accuracy over damage.
- Mystical rods that grant the wielder control over the elements.
Orbs
- Magical long-ranged weapons that favor damage over accuracy.
- Powerful spheres that allow the wielder to channel spiritual energy.
Crystals
- Magical melee-range weapons that favor damage over accuracy.
- Gems imbued with demonic energy that empower those who hold them.
Bangles
- Magical melee-range weapons that favor accuracy over damage.
- Giant bracelets that clear the wielder's mind, allowing for controlled magical attacks.

Pick your race to determine to determine your strong and weak attribute (sacrifices some in one to increase another). Your race is locked in but your weapon is not and may be switched between rounds. These are not the weapons, these are the weapon classes, guidelines for the weapons themselves. Each weapon gives you different abilities and focuses on a different attribute to determine auto-attack damage.

Links are to sources of inspiration for the more obscure bits.
Well... the link is yadda yadda yadda...
Expect an edit on this to clarify races, left the paper at work D:
And a first wave of bosses and weapons shall follow...

Level 4
Didnt read the whole thread but from the screenshot...

I dont like the Outland/Black Citadel theme. City/Villageish would be more classic to be honest.

I was just thinking of that. Screenshot is now a template for similar stages of different tilesets. Also, b/c you didn't read I'll clarify: I'm lazy when it comes to terrain and I'll not really care about it unless it changes the actual gameplay.

Level 4
Hmm... A great thing to add would be a Kill Count.

Kill Count? I'm thinking about a full-on damage tracker. But now that you bring it up, that solves a problem I had in figuring out how to track damage on adds: Don't.

Instead, I'll use the Kill Count tracker for adds and the Damage Count tracker for bosses. BRILLIANT!

Level 4
Also... disregard all that races/weapons mumbo jumbo. Forgot how hard that was to implement with WCIIIWE :/ I will instead make this map based on random models I come across that I want to make into either heroes or bosses/adds.

Yeah... that sounds much easier.

Edit: But there will be an item system, just not as crazy as that one.

Level 4
I would prefer no kill count.

Its a team game so why should players be competiting between each others? And creeps should not give bounty. Instead after every round players would gain experience and gold.

Reasons for Kill/Damage Count:
  • Friendly Competition
  • Item Rewards System
  • Boss Stages (highest damager becomes an exploding timebomb, lowest damager finds himself in the clutches of a hungry vampire, etc, etc)

Also, allowing competition for rewards would encourage active participation. Adding a Save System would make it all the juicier.

Level 19
There's a few game modes inside the game called Orc Gladiators too, maybe have a Versus system where players get too fight in seperate areas of the arena (With barricades to prevent helping), and the last man standing wins.

Level 4
There's a few game modes inside the game called Orc Gladiators too, maybe have a Versus system where players get too fight in seperate areas of the arena (With barricades to prevent helping), and the last man standing wins.

Alright, now I'm more interested. I'll go take a look-see.

Edit: Ewww... pure kill a million creeps? I don't want my map to be anything like that :/ Assuming this is the map you were talking about.

Though the mode you suggested does seem interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.