1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Giant Mantis

Submitted by tee.dubs
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Well here we are, finally. a big ol' mantis good enough to eat. Requested by Trillium, and i hope he enjoys it. Uses ingame textures and custom anims, 484 polys. Don't bother pointing out the terrible uv mapping, it was the best i could do with ingame textures that i could find. However if you have any suggestions about how to improve it, or would like to reskin it for me, or could find some appreciation for the job i actually did, i would be very happy in that case.
ENJOOOI. Credits would be nooice as it took some time to make.

--------------------------------------------
EDIT: Recalculated normals and fixed up the uv.
Special thanks to HappyCockroach and Zerox for explaining normals to me, and Cavman for vital feedback. THUNK YUS xoxo.
EDIT2: Attachment points. (Hands right + left, Head, Overhead, Chest, Origin)
EDIT3: Recalculated normals again, added an additive green texture over the eyes like thrikodius recommended, certainly looks better. THUNK YUW xoxo.
EDIT4: Used oinkerwinkle's mdl-finalizer to recalculate normals this time, fixed the hole in the neck, and optimized using ghostwolf's optimizer.

Keywords:
Mantis, Insect, Giant, Green, Camouflage, Delicious, Scary, Praying, Prey, Religious, Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Rayquaza.
Contents

Giant Mantis (Model)

Reviews
21:09, 7th Oct 2009 Pyritie: Lovely. Just recalculate the normals. 16th Oct 2009 Pyritie: The normals still look the same to me. What are you using to recalculate them? Also it looks like you accidentally welded the wrong vertices here....
  1. 21:09, 7th Oct 2009
    Pyritie: Lovely. Just recalculate the normals.

16th Oct 2009
    Pyritie: The normals still look the same to me. What are you using to recalculate them?
    Also it looks like you accidentally welded the wrong vertices here.

DonDustin: awesome model. Your textures choice is phenomenal, the mesh is great and the animations are very creative.

2. Zerox

Zerox

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    First comment and first download. I think this is a very nice model. I don't think the UV wrap is that bad to be honest. It looks fine to me. I think the animations are very fitting and I especially love how it curls up like a real bug upon death. Very cool model you have here.

3. Soul Theft

Soul Theft

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    wery nice

4. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    you should search for better textures. The unwrap does not look nice at all as it is right now.
    But the mesh and the anims are pretty nice.

5. Trillium

Trillium

Resources:
    Resources:
    cool, but the skin could be a bit better
    cool nonetheless! =))
    thanx!

6. Cavman

Cavman

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    The wrap is alright in most places. The underside of the abdomen though you should turn 90 degrees so that the line cross horizontaly instead of verticley. The big thing though is your Normals. Fix those.

7. tee.dubs

tee.dubs

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    i've messed around with the wrap a bit and its looking better, but i'm still not sure what normals are. what are they?

Attached Files:

8. TheHunterKiller

TheHunterKiller

Resources:
    Resources:
    'Tis cool.
    I have nothing more to say.

9. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I love this. Totally. Not only because I love insects... xD
    Really, that animations are so great! I love all of them. Stand - 3 is so cute!!! Not to mention how it walks! Absolutely cute...oh god, I don't have anything else to say but; excellent model, 5/5 and +rep.

EDIT: You asked about normals. I guess I know what they are. They indicate what is the 'facing angle' of the polies. Since the Warcraft engine uses backface culling, faces can't be viewed from behind. The only side you can view is the one where the normal goes. In addition, shading will be calculated depending on the normal's angle.
    It doesn't mean that normals will always point to the perpendicular direction with the face. They can point elsewhere, making the shading behave differently. This may have some uses, but usually it just fucks things up. If a normal is pointing to the opposite direction it should, or somewhere near it, the face won't show from most angles it should show.
    Hope you understood...

10. tee.dubs

tee.dubs

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    ahh legend, thank you so much! i'm assuming the normals are fucked on the end of the tail, but how do i recalculate them? i've looked in milkshape, notepad and model editor and can't seem to figure it out myself. someone ought to write a tutorial on it. thanks again for the info!

11. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Theorically it can be done in notepad but...not really.
    Ask BlinkBoy. He will surely know how to help you.

12. Zerox

Zerox

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    OinkerWinkle's vertexmodify has a function to recalculate normals I believe. But I'm not entirely sure. It may be worth looking.

13. tee.dubs

tee.dubs

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    yup you're right. its exactly what i needed, thankwoooooo SEW MAWCH MANS.

14. Kazzo

Kazzo

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Omg i need that model for my map excellent model 5/5 and +rep

15. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I hate it! Not the model, the bug, it's icky. The model is very accurate remake of the original bug and is yuck too. 4.5/5

16. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Omg mantis C:

17. PsychoNerdial

PsychoNerdial

Resources:
    Resources:
    OMG it's gonna eat us :O

18. X-OMG-X

X-OMG-X

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Good job on this, dude.

19. Stanakin

Stanakin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    @ TheTerran, Praying Mantis are awesome! They're some of the prettiest insects on the planet. And yes, this is an incredible model.