• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Get Left4Dead NOW! (For PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Left4Dead is currently my favorite game. I love it more than WarCraft III, and I've been playing it for only a week! Why do I love this game so much? Many reasons. But in simple categories: the graphics, overall gameplay, campaigns/level designs, and just about everything else in it is awesome. Never thought blasting away hundreds and thousands of zombies away to hell would be so much fun! But it's not entirely so much the fact that you're killing thousands of zombies and are able to blow off their limbs, light them on fire, and beat them to death with your weapon. Nope. It's also most definitely how teamwork is required to succeed in the official campaigns of Left4Dead. Especially in Versus mode where it's the four survivor players (whom are supposed to survive throughout the map) versus the four Special Infected (Hunter, Smoker, Boomer, and the Tank which are all supposed to strive to annihilate the entire Survivors team before they reach the safe house) no matter how good you are, no one can simple Leeroy or Rambo through the map and win. If you do, you must be the untouchable Jesus or a hacker... or Chuck Norris. :rolls eyes:

The game requires a lot of fluent communication back and forth, planning how to survive or how to defeat the enemy. Staying together is key and if you don't, you usually get owned either by the hordes of zombies or the few - but powerful - special infected. (Otherwise known as the Zombie Bosses)

The boomer of the infected team is probably the easiest class to play. Although all special infected and zombies make loud noises, whether they're being active or not, if spawned in a good place at the right time, it's pretty simple to run in between the survivors and puke all over them. If that fails, at least when they kill you, you explode and have a chance of splatting all over them anyway and you recieve assistance points for it! It's a win-win situation! However, a lot of people miraculously suck as the boomer. If you are one of these people, I strongly recommend you ask your doctor if you have a brain tumor or have any forms of retardation in your brain.

The hunter isn't so easy, but they get the job done very well if used correctly at the right time. Hunters are hooded zombies that can pounce great distances and onto survivors. The best time to pounce on a survivor is usually when they're alone or if they're blinded by boomer bile. Other good times to take advantage of are when there's very few left (One or two survivors alive) or if another Hunter pounces someone and you pounce on another right at that time. Two hunters taking down a man of their own is a very good strategy, but it's more difficult to pull off than you'd think. When pounced on someone, survivors can bunt you off (Whack you with the end of their weapon) and most likely kill you since when zombies and infected bosses are bunted, they get stunned (except for the tank)

The smoker is a very handy special infected. Not exactly the best to start an instance where the survivors become confused on what to do and all that, but are very good at stalling the survivors. The hunters are also good at this. Smokers can grapple targeted survivors from a close or far distance and pull them. Usually the smoker pulls the victim into a crowd of starving and pissed off zombies that eventually try to maul the entangled victim. In times like this, the survivors are usually starting to be attacked by the other special infected who are intelligently taking advantage of the situation or the survivors cannot immediately decide whether it's best to kill the smoker or horde of enraged zombies scratching, punching, kicking, and stomping the poor survivor.

And last but certainly not least, the Tank! The strongest special infected. An over-muscled, jawless, enraged zombie boss. The tank is arguably the best/easiest special infected in the game (Boomer is too) for a few good reasons. For one, the tank has the most HP and can survive through a ton of bullets (However the tank dies after 30-45 seconds when set on fire) and has enough strength to not only toss cars out of his way, but to tear concrete out from the ground and launch it towards his target(s). The tank can easily slaughter the survivors team single-handed and his attacks are strong enough to knock down and toss the survivors themselves! It's very difficult to defeat the tank alone, but with some good coordinated teammates, it can be as easy as lighting him on fire and running around him.

The campaigns in Left4Dead are awesome. Not just because they're well made and laid out, but also because of how the campaign plays out. Each campaign has four maps and these maps are played in order. After surviving the first episode of the first campaign, you move onto the second, then third, and so forth. Left4Dead is a very simple game but is also difficult. It all depends really. I like to compare Left4Dead to climbing a rope. Oh sure, climbing a rope is simple! But it's not easy. Guess it all depends on the length of the rope. Left4Dead is like that. The game is as simple as killing zombies and surviving through the campaigns, but there's more too it than meets the eye and it isn't easy.

Left4Dead has four difficulties. Easy, Normal, Advanced, and Expert. Easy and Normal are - to me - pretty easy, but Advanced is what I casually play and Expert is very difficult and something I'm working on getting to master. The game truly is awesome though, even for those of you who thought old zombie movies sucked.

More about the gameplay, the experience is always different. How? VALVe created a unique A.I. for the game which they call the "Director". This Director chooses where zombies spawn, when they spawn, how much they spawn, and it also does the same with placing weapons, ammo, and explosives. This means that while one time you're playing a match of No Mercy the sewers is flooded with zombies, another time it could be mildly populated or not at all. The experience is always changing in Left4Dead and it's one of the many things that makes the game so great!

I strongly encourage everyone who has a computer good enough to play Left4Dead and other Source games to buy it immediately and start playing! You won't regret it.

~Craka_J

Level 34
Holy shit dude, I definitely tl;dr.

It's a good game, but it doesn't last like wc3. The game gets boring after you've had your fill of zombies.

Level 27
Holy shit dude, I definitely tl;dr.

It's a good game, but it doesn't last like wc3. The game gets boring after you've had your fill of zombies.

True, but some time of not playing you play again for some days and then stop again.

Is it worth buying? I'm definetly liking the movies I've seen, but I'm still not sure.

It's totally worth it, never played anything like it. I actually never played a zombie shooter game and im suprised that this is actually the only one or at least the only GOOD one.

But whatever do we expect from Valve eh?

About the expert mode, well it's kinda annoying with the friendly fire thing people abuse it sometimes. I don't have friends who have the game and they don't seem like they're going to buy it either =/

Anyways it's a great game but I WANT NEW CONTENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Level 7
Nastyboy, you are too smart!

Oh and I am able to 1 shot a witch. Just run up to her with an automatic shotgun when you're face to face with her and just unload on her; make sure you're aiming at the head though.

~Craka_J

thats easy and ive dont thast a few times, in blood harves, one can appear in the middle of a ravine, and i one shto here every time the auto shotgun, and in ne mercy, you can get burn the witch by throwing a molitov into one of the windows of a building and kil her
:D

Level 25
I downloaded a mod for the tank where when he spawns, the music "THIS IS SPARTA!" remix plays and the soundpack for the tank is replaced with the Tourettes guy. Pretty awesome. Also downloaded a third person mod as well, which I use a lot. I recommend not bothering with installing skins, if done wrong, you can screw up the game and you'll have to reinstall the game.

~Craka_J

Level 7
im modding it right now. i made the smoker a clown, and the hunter and old wirinkly man with no shirt lolz. and i put a party hat on the tank and got rid of its arms :p not sure what to do with the others...

Level 7
lolz, that might be hard becasue of the wrap. skinning is easier then modding the actual people. but i was tihnking of putting a large watchmen happyf ace on it.

Level 15
This... Game... Is... AWESOME! I just got L4D the only way a pirate knows how so I can't play multiplayer. But meh, I don't care. This game is THE MOST badass zombie killing I've ever had. Francis is my favorite, by the way. He's the only "badass" character there, so I always play as him.

The AI kicks ass, by the way. They're REAL smart. I mean really. They close doors, share health packs/pills, and cover me and each other. It's great. Real great.

My favorite part is how it LOOKS. My GOD! I never knew the source engine could look so fabulous! I mean seriously, it's a dated engine, but they've pushed it. They even have GORE!

Epic win, man. Epic win.

Level 15
Can't add anybody. I pirated my game, and therefore am unable to play multiplayer. I think I can't patch it, either, since I got a compressed version (917 megabytes!) but I'll try. I REALLY want to get that mall map that's being made (not by Valve, by the way).

Oh and Craka, I already got that 3rd person mod. I personally enjoy the "Resident Evil" camera better, since it reminds of me of Gears of War, and anything that reminds me of Gears of War = awesome. Oh yeah...

Level 25
Yeah, VALVe needs to work on improving the bots' A.I. and I think they already are, but probably waiting to release those kinds of updates for the Spring release of the Left 4 Dead Source SDK, Survival Mode, and the two new Versus campaigns (Death Toll and Dead Air)

Level 2
i think its like, shallow linear shooting with like, only 5 guns?
anything other than survival is not a real zombie game

Status
Not open for further replies.