• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

general map question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Well I thought this would be one of the better area's to ask but i've been working on an RPG map for some time now and was thinking. Should I try and enlist some helpers that would want to help make it?

I mean like it would probably be better if their was like 3 people instead of 1 cause alot more could get done probably. Only downside is that I couldnt say i made the entire map by myself Lol.

Idk what do you think?

Level 11
Personally inless I'm getting payed I refuse to work with someone else on really big projects. However I'll try to list the downsides/upsides of having a team instead of a single person.

In having a team..
+More work, less time
+New friends
+Problems are spread out not concentrated
-You share the credit (not that bad)
-It doesn't always get done YOUR way
-Its hard to convey exactly what you want to others
-It can be hard to keep in contact
-Putting the work of three people into one map can be hard

Notice in my opinion that working individually has better advantages.

Level 11
Try under the sound catagory in the object editor -> units category. If its not there then perhaps the sound is attached to the model.
(wow that was incredibly off topic)

Level 21
In having a team..
+More work, less time
+New friends
+Problems are spread out not concentrated
-You share the credit (not that bad)
-It doesn't always get done YOUR way
-Its hard to convey exactly what you want to others
-It can be hard to keep in contact
-Putting the work of three people into one map can be hard

you forgot the biggest disadvantage:
- you only know that there is 1 person really doing stuff for the project: you. You can't *trust* on your team when it comes to finishing maps. If you have a big project and you spread the work like: 1 person for object data, 1 for triggering, 1 for terraining, you are screwed when one of them can't succesfuly finish his job, whether it be because of disease or lack of interest. If you don't do everything yourself, chances are high that your project will be a failure. If it's too big to do alone, you'll have to face that chance...

Status
Not open for further replies.