• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Arena] [Gameplay] Precasting spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Well, there are plenty of mage arena games around here.
And me, I'm kinda a fan of being a mage.
Anyway, here's an idea, precasting spells.

The reason for this is just because if you think about mages, there is the idea that mages would chant, channel, etc. and prepare to cast spells that rekt havoc. So in some manga, the magicians go about this by casting the spell in advance so that you do not need to chant for X seconds while your enemy is rushing to your face.

This is probably more for you to get the feeling of playing as a magician rather than being a fun gameplay, but it might be fun, depends.

And because precasting spells is in essence, preparation, it also brings across the fact that you're not just gonna go in and brawl, as a mage, you use your brain to fight.

Basically it's just that you prepare the spells you are going to use in a battle before you fight in the said battle. This would probably be most relevant to Arena games I think, but it might differ depends on how you conceive the idea.

So, what is your opinion on this?

Some Examples...
  • This is one way the idea is done --> It's made by me for this idea.
  • There's also Arx Fatalis. --> It's on Steam and stuffs, so yea, gameplay videos.
  • Magicka's buffing weapon, noted by Damage --> Magicka.

But there are others, like causing the mana cost of the spell to decrease 50% of your permanent mana until you cast it, etc.

So yeah, anyone here wants to discuss this idea of precasting spells?

Last edited:
Level 14
I really liked Magicka's system of casting a spell onto your weapon, which you can unleash later. Something like that would be pretty nice, but I'm not sure how such a system would translate (gameplay wise) to a Warcraft 3 game other than to literally be a Magicka tribute / clone.

Level 20
I really liked Magicka's system of casting a spell onto your weapon, which you can unleash later. Something like that would be pretty nice, but I'm not sure how such a system would translate (gameplay wise) to a Warcraft 3 game other than to literally be a Magicka tribute / clone.
Yea, you're right, I remember always preparing a fire rock spike spell on my weapon...yep, probably making a Magicka clone at this rate. Not that anyone would complaint. I guess. Although there's a lot of buttons in Magicka, I don't think there's enough space for it in wc3.

Off-topic:
And I see that you made a mage arena map....yes, who doesn't....:)

Level 14
Mine is vaguely based on Unreal Tournament... kinda...

In Magicka at least, I used to love casting Icy Arcane Lightning Shield Rocks which basically caused explosive ice rocks to burst out of the ground, stunning people repeatedly and then exploding on them. Single highest damage spell in the game I think, but if you cast it and even slightly stepped forward, you got hit by it and died too. Had to be used with caution that one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.