• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] GAME SAVE CRASHES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So, as i said in my presentation, i’m working on Battles of Nayvimh, a single player map that consist in a turn-based game where 2 armies fights, and each army can do a specific amount of actions in a specific frame of time. BON is an heavy project that uses an enormous quantity of contents and requires an enormous quantity of triggers to manage them. Actually, one or more triggers causes errors that corrupts the game saving, making the game impossible to be completed. I tried to verify all the triggers (deactivating half per time) to find the culprit, but since the purpose of this game is to make each battle different from the others on each time you play, all the contents of this map (units, heroes, items, environment) are randomized in each run, threfore a lot of contents and triggers doesn’t fire in each test even if they are enabled. As consequence, I can’t see if a specific trigger is guilty from the moment that it remains active but not “called” during each test. Do you have any idea on how to solve this problem?

Level 4
Got any periodic triggers? I'd start with those. They've always been the problem of my maps being saved.
Yes, tnx for the clue! there are tons of "periodic event" triggers in my project. can you explain better why they causes in-game saves to crash, and how i could replace those events to make some actions to be repeated many times?

I'd like some more low-level explanation on this... Just saying... :|

Regards
-Ned

We have a timer TIME.
Let it repeat itself. A flag called repeating is set to true.

We pause TIME. Okay, nothing really happened here, or so one thinks...
We resume TIME. Okay, let's see.

Huh? Only once? What happened? It should be repeating!
But wait... repeating is false.

Oh, so that's what happened.

Level 4
Tnx guys, i'm hardly working to solve the loading-game crashes, i will let you know soon if the problem has been solved, actually i fixed something like 200+ triggers that use the "periodic event" and i have stile 25 triggers to fix that hare a little bit harder to recreate with different solutions. In all cases, i'm repleacing the "periodic event" with wait + repeat triggers. for example, triggers that before worked with "each 4 seconds of the game" event now works with "wait 4 second, run this trigger (ignoring conditions)

Level 12
@Daffa the Mage & @MyPad hold on, does that include both:
  • Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
and
  • Countdown Timer - Start someTimer as a Repeating timer that will expire in 30.00 seconds
with
  • Time - someTimer expires
Saving will prevent both of these from repeating?

Very uncomfortable with this info...
-Ned

Level 12
@MyPad This changed my world... That hit me like a truck...
This is one of the most important things for pretty much anything and it bugs out on save?

Does it corrupt the event itself or only the running instance? What about
  • MyTrigger
    • Event
      • Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Stuff
What'd happen if you turn it off on save and back on on load, so it is not running while saving?
This would actually not fix it, would it?

@Rhevo apologies, for almost hijacking your topic...

That hit me like a wrecking ball...
-Ned

Last edited:
Tnx guys, i'm hardly working to solve the loading-game crashes, i will let you know soon if the problem has been solved, actually i fixed something like 200+ triggers that use the "periodic event" and i have stile 25 triggers to fix that hare a little bit harder to recreate with different solutions. In all cases, i'm repleacing the "periodic event" with wait + repeat triggers. for example, triggers that before worked with "each 4 seconds of the game" event now works with "wait 4 second, run this trigger (ignoring conditions)
I'm against such a method of utilizing wait sadly. The accuracy is quite unpleasant, though since your map is singleplayer, I guess it won't matter much.

Level 4
I'm against such a method of utilizing wait sadly. The accuracy is quite unpleasant, though since your map is singleplayer, I guess it won't matter much.
Yes I know. "Wait" functions is a bit inaccurate and i experimented that in different situations, however unfortunatley is the only solution possible to repeat events each specific periods of time, considering the necessity (in Battles of Nayvimh) of game saving. Obviously since my project is a single player game, is much better to have not-precise timers than the save-game crashes issue. Anyway, i still did'n had the possibility to remove all the "periodic event" and can't say if removing them is the solution for the actual problem. I will let you know

Level 4
I'm pretty sad to announce that after months of work on replacing
mechanics of almost 200 triggers with periodic events, the problem has
been not resolved yet. When I go to save the game, the game often crashes.
Then i go to load last saved game, and the game crashes again and as consequence then all progress of the run are lost. I'm actually on stalemate and quite needy help by the comunity.. :/
BON3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.