• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Game design program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Game Maker is a program that allows a wide variety of things, although for First Person things you need to buy it, rather than download it, I think... But then again, it came out a long time ago, and might not be compatable with Vista. Or it might, I dunno, I just posted what popped into my head.

Level 36
Download the Microsoft XNA Game Studio. It's probably the best for homebrew games, and learning C to run it will get you far in life, because many professional coding jobs require it.

As for Vista? It's not the end of the world!

If you still have a copy of XP (or can obtain one) then you can dual boot! Meaning that you can choose between running XP or Vista when you start your computer. It's the best way to go, and you can still have both, games and vista.

Wait! I remember that a guy from another forum made an FPS game via a program called FPS Creator and he gave us a link to the software. Though it's not free, I've heard it's a very good program.

Oh horrible program. I have tried it...

1) If you want to get anything out of it, you have to buy the additional model packs.

2) The AI is very horrible.
The enemies stand there and when you come near enough they will look at you. After looking at you for 2 seconds the enemy will shoot at you...

Well the pro's for that program is that you don't need to know anything about coding... But the enemy AI destroys the game.

Very expensive and not worth the costs in my opinion.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The AI for games like HALO 3 and Gears of War took probably 6 man months to make or more to make so unless you have a univercity qualification in artificial intelegance and crap I dought you can make an efficent AI that can out smart a human with out cheating.

To make a game from scrath (3D included) takes a lot of time, since you have to build your own model interperators and stuff so I do not recomend it unless your a group of 8 and know how 3D crap works and how to program advanced code.

Download the Microsoft XNA Game Studio. It's probably the best for homebrew games, and learning C to run it will get you far in life, because many professional coding jobs require it.

As for Vista? It's not the end of the world!

If you still have a copy of XP (or can obtain one) then you can dual boot! Meaning that you can choose between running XP or Vista when you start your computer. It's the best way to go, and you can still have both, games and vista.

Thank you so much.

And I know it may sound stupid, but if anyone really wants to make a game with this, then I think we should just team up and maybe it will go smoother.

Level 21
The AI for games like HALO 3 and Gears of War took probably 6 man months to make or more to make so unless you have a univercity qualification in artificial intelegance and crap I dought you can make an efficent AI that can out smart a human with out cheating.

the easiest AI for someone is not a proffessional would be random patrolling combined with a simple system where enemies will atack you when you enter their FOV. other things that wouldnt be too hard would be sound sensing in a radius around the enemy and a way for them to call for back up. of course its much easier to just request use of an already made ai system.

And consider also the basic AI is done, it is all about messing with those scripts. like making amai out of warcraft melee AI scripts.

Thank you so much.

And I know it may sound stupid, but if anyone really wants to make a game with this, then I think we should just team up and maybe it will go smoother.

I just hope it would not be just another WW2 or Sci-fi :p

Level 8
I tried XNA, it's a pretty versatile little tool, although I'm not good enough with C to make a really good game (all I could muster was a quasi-3D version of asteroids with extra features). I would love to see what an experienced coder could do with it.

Level 9
Still have no idea what I need to actually use the damn prgram.

You need Microsoft Visual C#. XNA is an extremely extensive addon to it. Visual C# Express Edition is pretty easy to find, just gewgle it (that's internet slang for google)

With XNA you can make games for XBox, PC, and, with an insane amount of work for the PS2 and Wii. Not sure if people have actually been able to detect the motion sensors on the Wii yet though, I think it was done.

Level 19
You could use

The 3D GameMaker

System Requirements :

Minimum System Requirements
400 MHz Pentium II Processor
Windows 95 / 98 / 2000 / ME / XP (Home/Pro)
600 MB of hard disk space
64 MB of Ram
DirectX Version 7.0a
Fully DirectX compatible Graphics Card with 3D Acceleration and 8 MB Memory
Direct X compatible Sound Card
4x Speed CD-Rom Drive
Windows XP Users must download our free Patch to make The 3D Gamemaker work correctly

Recommended System Requirements
600 MHz Pentium III Processor
Windows 95 / 98 / 2000 / ME / XP (Home/Pro)
600 MB of hard disk space
128 MB of Ram
DirectX Version 8.0a
Fully DirectX compatible Graphics Card with 3D Acceleration and 16 MB Memory
16x Speed CD-Rom Drive
Windows XP Users must download our free Patch to make The 3D Gamemaker work correctly

or Another one

DarkBasic

System Requirements :

System Requirements
300 MHz Pentium II Processor
Windows 95 / 98 / 2000 / ME / XP (Home / Pro)
60 MB of hard disk space
64 MB of Ram
DirectX Version 8.1+
Fully DirectX compatible Graphics Card with 8 MB Memory or more
4x Speed CD-Rom Drive
Windows XP Users are advised to download our free 1.13 Upgrade

Level 9
And I'm just not that committed.

Then chances are you'd never learn XNA.

Oh, and...just so you, and every other aspiring game designer knows...

Any coder who works for free will rarely team up with you unless you too know how to code, or are a very, very good 3d Artist, no matter how good your game idea is. Because chances are, the reason they learned to code is so they could make their own games.

Status
Not open for further replies.