• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Future of Warsmash: The April Fuels

April 1st, 2024: Big Announcement for Warsmash

After four and a half years of developing the Warsmash project for the express purpose of emulating Warcraft III so that it would become possible to actually modify Warcraft III in a more serious and efficient way that what the 2002 limitations on the World Editor allowed, it's time for a change.

Warsmash started as a big, bold idea that popped into my head when I returned home after drinking alcohol at a work dinner. And ever since that fateful night in 2018 when I returned home after drinking and realized that it was time for me to rewrite the entire game of Warcraft III so that I could change the maximum hero inventory size from 6 to 9, I have been living my entire life as a monk of Warsmash dedicated to this pursuit. It's been a long and magnificent journey, but all along the way there has been one recurring problem.

Users who are interested in Warsmash have a tendency to fall into one of two categories:
  1. Those who are familiar with Warcraft 3 but not with game development, for whom Warsmash on the outsides sounds like a too-good-to-be-true escape ladder for their creative passions but on the insides appears to be insanely impossible to use and needlessly complex
  2. Those who are familiar with game development but not Warcraft 3 and simply want a platform for building the next RTS without inputting a lot of their own human effort, for whom Warsmash is largely stupid because of how deeply embedded the Warcraft 3 emulator (which these users don't want) is within Warsmash
Users of Type 1 above cannot enjoy Warsmash because it cannot be imported into a map to play on Reforged client, and users of Type 2 above cannot enjoy Warsmash because it is muddied up with a bunch of proprietary Warcraft 3 stuff that the Type 2 users don't want because they want to be able to sell their Warsmash creations as steam games.

This has led Warsmash to an obvious conclusion: focus on Type 2 users. Reforged already works fine, so there is no reason to help Type 1 users because Warsmash doesn't work for them anyway.

And, to focus on Type 2 users, the future of Warsmash accordingly is to be its own game independent of Warcraft 3 that no longer requires a Warcraft 3 installation. To that end, today on the 1st of April 2024, a new Warsmash mode has been created that can play entirely independent of Warcraft 3 to usher in a new era of user creativity: The April Fuels

The April Fuels is a new game that runs on the Warsmash platform created entirely using basic paint programs, Retera Model Studio, text editors, and other basic tools, without any Warcraft III game files required.

Here is a video of some April Fuels gameplay, including one of my favorite units, the Goober:

In this map created using Warsmash tools and not using any Warcraft 3 proprietary technology, which is a map that will be dedicated to the public domain in the fullest extent possible because Microsoft Activision Blizzard has no ownership of it, the great and powerful Goober has to go on a journey to save the world.

If you're as excited to play Warsmash: April Fuels as we are, you don't have to wait! Download the attachment included with this post, which includes the April Fuels demo as an entire standalone game, complete and ready to run as soon as you unzip it (no dependency on Warcraft 3)!

Attachments

• Release.zip
    62.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited: